Fasching Signs ELC with Buffalo

Brawndo

Eichel on Fasching signing: He's a real good player. Know him pretty well as a person & a player. Sent him a text last night; he's excited.

Coach Bylsma says the plan is to get Hudson Fasching practicing with the team later this week and go from there.

Similar in stature, but overall better athlete with more skill.     Maybe more like a poor man's Ryan Kesler or Dustin Brown?   Strong around the net, not flashy, but can bury in tight.

from http://espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=6145415&columnist=burnside_scott

"He is an elite soccer player whose high school team is on a 47-0 run that includes two state championships. He was undefeated in junior varsity tennis, essentially without having picked up a racket before the tennis season began."

What a story.

i just want to revisit the trade:

That still holds up in our favor pretty good, especially remembering the contemporary context of a too-crowded blue line and packed defenseman pipeline.

I like Fasching's chances.  He's not elite.  He's probably not top line on a contender.  But when we (finally again) ice a team that has four lines that score, he'll be a big reason why.

How on earth did Minnesota manage to miss the NCCA tournament this year?

16 teams go to the tournament (6 conference playoff winners and 10 at large teams).  The 10 at large teams are selected "objectively" by math that mimics the USCHO PairWise Rankings.  Michigan won the Big Ten tournament and was the only Big Ten team to make the tournament.  Minnesota had a slightly better Big Ten regular season record than Michigan (1 point in 20GP), but had a considerably worse PWR after factoring in out-of-conference play, and didn't make the cut off.  Cornell and Michigan Tech, both on the edge of the required PWR to make the tournament, were bumped by RIT and Ferris State, winners of their respective conference tournaments.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Brayden McNabb has 9 points this year in LA with 176 hits and 86 blocked shots. Had 22 points last year.

He plays 18 minutes a game at 25 and it looks like he will have a decent career as a 4/5 guy.

The Kings also got back the two 2nd-rounders they had originally sent to us for Robyn Regehr

* Alex Lintuniemi was picked 60th in 2014. He's a big defenceman with 14 points in 31 games playing in the ECHL. He did not make the top 10 of their Future Watch prospect list, which is considered among the league's worst.

* Erik Cernak was picked 43 in 2015. He's a big defenceman with 9 points in 29 games in the OHL. He is their 7th-ranked prospect for Future Watch.

Fasching put up 20/18/38 in 37 games with Minnesota this year and is rated Buffalo's second-best prospect. We have the number-two pool in Future Watch, but that is misleading since the ranking includes 21-and-under NHLers.

Nick Deslauriers has 11 points this year in 61 games with 175 hits and is the team's best fighter. Had 15 points last year.

He plays 10 minutes a game at 25 and it looks like he will have a decent career as a fourth-line banger.

So the ranking includes the 21 and under NHLers, but I am assuming those guys aren't included in the team's 1-10 prospect list? If Fasching was #2, who was number 1?

My understanding is because of his age they could sign him to a 3 year ELC, as opposed to most college players who can only be offered 2 year ELCs. So this season is a bonus. And then he will be a RFA when the contract expires.

So is it confirmed that Faching signed a 3 year deal? Couldn't find it anywhere yesterday..

There's someone here who noted it - a difference between O'Reilly and Eichel. That O'Reilly is tenacious on the puck, but is more a guy who is working at you with his stick, never gives up, is always on your tail. That Eichel is really the "heavier" player of the two - that he not only takes contact well, but, most often while in control of the puck, actually seeks it out sometimes in order to gain an advantage. 

I can't recall who made the observation, but damned if I haven't been noticing Eichel's proclivity for contact (not of the thundering check variety, of course (or really much of any body checking)) since then. I think what we see in Eichel is, in fact, a fairly heavy game. Once that kid gets a bit more grown, he is going to be leaning on opponents in a big(ger) way. 

Good post. You see it a lot of guys like Crosby, or Forsberg when he played. They don't throw big hits, but they are exceptionally strong on the puck, and seek contact while at the same time boxing guys out.

Sounds like Fasching will play Saturday against the Jets for sure, and stay up with Buffalo for remainder of season.

He'll get a chance to see where he stands at the NHL level at this stage of his development.  It should give him a lot of motivation to work hard this off-season.

Looking forward to seeing him.

Boy has no problem with contact bit of a bull if you ask me based on highlights, if Fasching and one of Modo boys can step up to snipe maybe Sabres consider drafting a D, but if Sabres in top 5 I still think scorer first then go after D with later picks.

He reminds me of a bigger Thomas Vanek...and not just because he comes from the Gophers.

Have you seen him at all? I'm not trying to be a smart ass as it comes naturally. I certainly am not trying to hype train him. But in the games that I have seen of him, he shows a dog chasing a bone mentality that Vanek could never possess. At the same time he will never imo be a gifted goal scorer like TV is capable of.

Of course we really know nothing of what he will become but I'm happy to have him and expect him to add a lot to the team for a long time.

LOL to be fair to you Wings, I heard Razor on the radio today say that when asked his thoughts about Fasching, Vanek replied that he kind of reminded him of himself!

I probably wouldn't have mentioned it if not for your lovely avatar.

So the ranking includes the 21 and under NHLers, but I am assuming those guys aren't included in the team's 1-10 prospect list? If Fasching was #2, who was number 1?

Prospect list does not include NHLers, overall ranking does.

Will answer your other question on the prospect thread.

Brayden McNabb has 9 points this year in LA with 176 hits and 86 blocked shots. Had 22 points last year.

He plays 18 minutes a game at 25 and it looks like he will have a decent career as a 4/5 guy.

The Kings also got back the two 2nd-rounders they had originally sent to us for Robyn Regehr

* Alex Lintuniemi was picked 60th in 2014. He's a big defenceman with 14 points in 31 games playing in the ECHL. He did not make the top 10 of their Future Watch prospect list, which is considered among the league's worst.

* Erik Cernak was picked 43 in 2015. He's a big defenceman with 9 points in 29 games in the OHL. He is their 7th-ranked prospect for Future Watch.

Fasching put up 20/18/38 in 37 games with Minnesota this year and is rated Buffalo's second-best prospect. We have the number-two pool in Future Watch, but that is misleading since the ranking includes 21-and-under NHLers.

Nick Deslauriers has 11 points this year in 61 games with 175 hits and is the team's best fighter. Had 15 points last year.

He plays 10 minutes a game at 25 and it looks like he will have a decent career as a fourth-line banger.

How about the fact that if we had not made this trade Jack might not be in Buffalo. McNabb is pretty good and he probably would have made us a little better

In case anyone didn't read this already

Prep star's mark goes beyond hockey http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?columnist=burnside_scott&id=6145415

-via ESPN http://es.pn/app

I have to show this to my oldest who at times gets tired of his younger special needs brother. Great story, sure there was some frustration in Hudson but sounds like a great kid. Wouldnt want to piss him off bet he is a protector when it came down to it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.