Fasching Signs ELC with Buffalo

Brawndo

i just want to revisit the trade:

Brayden McNabb has 9 points this year in LA with 176 hits and 86 blocked shots. Had 22 points last year.

He plays 18 minutes a game at 25 and it looks like he will have a decent career as a 4/5 guy.

The Kings also got back the two 2nd-rounders they had originally sent to us for Robyn Regehr

* Alex Lintuniemi was picked 60th in 2014. He's a big defenceman with 14 points in 31 games playing in the ECHL. He did not make the top 10 of their Future Watch prospect list, which is considered among the league's worst.

* Erik Cernak was picked 43 in 2015. He's a big defenceman with 9 points in 29 games in the OHL. He is their 7th-ranked prospect for Future Watch.

Fasching put up 20/18/38 in 37 games with Minnesota this year and is rated Buffalo's second-best prospect. We have the number-two pool in Future Watch, but that is misleading since the ranking includes 21-and-under NHLers.

Nick Deslauriers has 11 points this year in 61 games with 175 hits and is the team's best fighter. Had 15 points last year.

He plays 10 minutes a game at 25 and it looks like he will have a decent career as a fourth-line banger.

It looks like a win win trade for both teams. I would have taken Sprong or Spencer or Greenway or Guhle with that Kings pick but maybe I am wrong on Cernak.  We could come out ahead if Fasching becomes a 2nd line guy but in reality it was a solid trade for both teams. 

It looks like a win win trade for both teams. I would have taken Sprong or Spencer or Greenway or Guhle with that Kings pick but maybe I am wrong on Cernak. We could come out ahead if Fasching becomes a 2nd line guy but in reality it was a solid trade for both teams.

I think if Fasching turns into a solid top 6, we win this trade big. McNabb and the two prospects are JAG's and if you get a solid top 6 for that, sign me up all day.

I appreciate the trade analysis efforts. But I'm not interested in whether the Sabres win trades. Darcy taught me that lesson.

Yes, we traded McNabb who was easily replaced by McCabe and 2 picks who are at least 2-4 more years away for Deslauriers who has been a solid 3/4th line guy for us (mostly 4th) and Fasching who is about to make his Sabres debut and could play full time this upcoming season. So GMTM improved the team faster and with more immediate effects by making this trade especially if Fasching becomes a 2nd line player.

Pretty much what I figured.

This stint with the Sabres will be kind of like Reinhart's 9-game tryout last year:  "Here's what the NHL looks like, kid.  It's this fast and this violent.  Now you know what you need to work on in your game."

He'll get his chances on better lines, but fer cryin' out loud, did you really expect they were going to put him on a top line right out of the gate?  I didn't.

Edited by Robin Egg

What better way to disenfranchise a young player than giving him some crappy big number that he hates.

I've got no problem with it. Hell they gave the Face of the Franchise #41 in training camp. He was very humble about it and earned his number.  Why would you give a 4th rounder preferential treatment?

Skating today at practice with Legwand and Moulson.

:wallbash:

I like it.    Let him earn his top 6 minutes and his number.    Buffalo has made it clear in the recently that nothing will be handed out, you need to earn all of it.    That's the way it should be.

I like it.    Let him earn his top 6 minutes and his number.    Buffalo has made it clear in the recently that nothing will be handed out, you need to earn all of it.    That's the way it should be.

Yeah. I don't understand the outrage. Where else would you put the 12th forward?… I mean, besides the AHL to try someone else.

Not sure why he needs to earn his number, but I have no problem with him being on the 4th line

Picking your own number is a privilege (unless you're Stamkos, haha).   You need to earn that privilege by putting the work in.    He hasn't even had his first practice with the team yet.  

Edited by pi2000

Picking your own number is a privilege.   You need to earn that privilege by putting the work in.    He hasn't even had his first practice with the team yet.  

I never understood that. Some guys are more comfortable in the numbers they've always worn. If it's available, why not let the guy be comfortable? I feel like that's the equivalent of saying you have to upstairs in the fans' restroom because you haven't earned the privilege of our bathroom yet. And don't you dare use those escalators, you better walk your ass up

I never understood that. Some guys are more comfortable in the numbers they've always worn. If it's available, why not let the guy be comfortable? I feel like that's the equivalent of saying you have to ###### upstairs in the fans' restroom because you haven't earned the privilege of our bathroom yet. And don't you dare use those escalators, you better walk your ass up

It lets the player know where they stand in the team hierarchy.   He'll be able to pick his number after the next training camp (assuming he makes the opening day roster).      Eichel didn't get to pick his number until after training camp... what kind of message would that send if they let Fasching pick his own number before his first practice with the team?

It lets the player know where they stand in the team hierarchy.   He'll be able to pick his number after the next training camp (assuming he makes the opening day roster).      Eichel didn't get to pick his number until after training camp... what kind of message would that send if they let Fasching pick his own number before his first practice with the team?

None, IMO. 

I never understood that. Some guys are more comfortable in the numbers they've always worn. If it's available, why not let the guy be comfortable? I feel like that's the equivalent of saying you have to ###### upstairs in the fans' restroom because you haven't earned the privilege of our bathroom yet. And don't you dare use those escalators, you better walk your ass up

Because not everything in life needs to be given to you just because you showed up.  I never understood why people have such a problem with the tradition that if you haven't earned your stripes you don't get stripes.

He just got here.  He's got a shot at the job he's wanted all his life. He knows and if he respects the game and his situation then he's not going to care.  He'll want that number just as much as he'll want that roster spot.

One other thought.. if there are two prospects who are both eyeing the same number... which one gets it?  The one who just signed an ELC from college and had some leverage to get on the team a bit earlier?  

Edited by LTS

Actually it's a great way to start, get him with the older pro's to show him the ropes, where to be, what to do, what's to be expected. Also if you want to start an unnecessary problem, take your popular was 4th line hustler who earned a shot off of the 1st line and put a 4th round rookie in his place in his first practice. You think taking a head shot at Reinhart caused a stir just try anything but this for office politics.

Because not everything in life needs to be given to you just because you showed up.  I never understood why people have such a problem with the tradition that if you haven't earned your stripes you don't get stripes.

He just got here.  He's got a shot at the job he's wanted all his life. He knows and if he respects the game and his situation then he's not going to care.  He'll want that number just as much as he'll want that roster spot.

One other thought.. if there are two prospects who are both eyeing the same number... which one gets it?  The one who just signed an ELC from college and had some leverage to get on the team a bit earlier?  

IMO, the number indicates nothing of his status. Where he plays, maybe where his locker is, if he's last in line at the cafeteria, and some other stuff I'm sure they do in the locker room. Hell, we always made our rookies in HS carry the equipment and pick up the baseballs. Same thing at work. If you just started, you're getting the job, the shifts, and no, idgaf what kind of music you want to listen to, too bad

Actually it's a great way to start, get him with the older pro's to show him the ropes, where to be, what to do, what's to be expected. Also if you want to start an unnecessary problem, take your popular was 4th line hustler who earned a shot off of the 1st line and put a 4th round rookie in his place in his first practice. You think taking a head shot at Reinhart caused a stir just try anything but this for office politics.

Agreed. I think Legwand and Matty Mou can help him a lot

Edited by WildCard

Do you think players really cares what number they wear in their first NHL game?

Some do, some don't.    

Eichel had to earn the right to pick his number.   That set the bar for future rookies who join the team.       

Sure, not every team does it that way,... it's a Sabre's thing and I like that they have a thing, good for them.    

None of this stupid number hazing garbage Rip likes to pull to make himself feel important. 

:blink: 

Say what you will about Rip, but he strikes me as one of the least self-important people within that organization.

I've chilled out considerably on Fasching skating with the 4th line. Many good points have been made on why that makes sense.

Also, I wish the Fashcing ELC thread and the Fasching Number thread would be merged.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.