Fasching Signs ELC with Buffalo

Brawndo

:blink:

Say what you will about Rip, but he strikes me as one of the least self-important people within that organization.

I've chilled out considerably on Fasching skating with the 4th line. Many good points have been made on why that makes sense.

Also, I wish the Fashcing ELC thread and the Fasching Number thread would be merged.

There's no other reason for these number shenanigans. This was never a thing at any other time in this team's history. There's no "tradition" here. It's not like earning your number is some time honored Sabres thing. It's some modern manifestation of Rip clinging to an ever reduced role where the rest of the staff does the actual equipment management and he just collects a paycheck. You know the only reason the Sabres still have him on the payroll is because they would feel bad letting him go. This number crap has to stop. It's stupid as hell. 

There's no other reason for these number shenanigans. This was never a thing at any other time in this team's history. There's no "tradition" here. It's not like earning your number is some time honored Sabres thing. It's some modern manifestation of Rip clinging to an ever reduced role where the rest of the staff does the actual equipment management and he just collects a paycheck. You know the only reason the Sabres still have him on the payroll is because they would feel bad letting him go. This number crap has to stop. It's stupid as hell. 

So you're saying this is all Rip's doing?   How do you know this?

If I had to guess, I'd say this is happening under DD's direction.

So you're saying this is all Rip's doing?   How do you know this?

They've interviewed him about it before. It's Rip's "thing" to decide what numbers the kids can pick from or something. 

If I had to guess, I'd say this is happening under DD's direction.

Um, no. This has been going on since long before DD. 

They've interviewed him about it before. It's Rip's "thing" to decide what numbers the kids can pick from or something. 

Legend has it, when Kaleta needed a number, Rip tossed him #36 saying, "here, I think this one fits".

So Murray and Bylsma just left it up to Rip to make that executive decision on his own?  

I would imagine it's something Murray and Bylsma discussed and thought would be good for team morale.

So Murray and Bylsma just left it up to Rip to make that executive decision on his own?  

I would imagine it's something Murray and Bylsma discussed and thought would be good for team morale.

I'm not so sure. Seems more like it's a practice that was inherited, and they've chosen not to change it. And, really. Why should a HC or GM trouble himself with such matters? I don't get why people even give a rat's arse.

His system existed prior to Murray and Bylsma. I remember Foligno getting assigned #82 and he had planned on changing it to #17 or something like that but when he went on his scoring binge with Stffr and Ennis he decided not to change because he didn't want fans who bought his #82 jersey to feel like they wasted money.

Edited by Drunkard

I'm not so sure. Seems more like it's a practice that was inherited, and they've chosen not to change it. And, really. Why should a HC or GM trouble himself with such matters? I don't get why people even give a rat's arse.

The internet was invented to discuss life changing topics like this.

His system existed prior to Murray and Bylsma. I remember Foligno getting assigned #82 and he had planned on changing it to #17 or something like that but when he went on his scoring binge with Stffr and Ennis he decided not to change because he didn't want fans who bought his #82 jersey to feel like they wasted money.

I remember that. Dude couldn't wear his dad's number because of dumb Rip.

Sam Reinhart will be FINE!!!!!

...wait sorry, TrueBlue was complimenting him. 

In all seriousness I like hearing those stories. As someone who didn't live in one place my entire life I can tell you how great it is to just have 1 person reach out and offer to show you around and be a friend. It is truly a great thing.

Samson is awesome:

John Vogl@BuffNewsVogl 5m5 minutes ago

Fasching: "Sam Reinhart reached out and said we might be able to hang out, go check out Buffalo a little more instead of just the hotel."

NEW MESSAGE FROM SAM REINHART: Hey Hudsy, you wanna come with me to the docks? I know a guy there who might be able to get you a real number on your jersey. Bring cash.

Yes. 

I would too. I don't think there's a good reason for the practice, and if I were to carve out an NHL career, I want the picture  of my first ever game in my scrapbook/on the mantle to have the number I would spend my career wearing while doing everything I can to help a franchise win, not a 53.

I like Fasching with 2 vets. He has a lot to learn and Jack and Sam don't need to get distracted by that.

Agreed. I think that if he plays well in his first game or two, he'll switch with D-Lo, based on how Dan handled Bailey.

Samson is awesome:

Fasching: "Sam Reinhart reached out and said we might be able to hang out, go check out Buffalo a little more instead of just the hotel."

Did you catch Sam's instagram photos I put in the awesome thread? He's easily becoming my favorite Sabre.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.