Fasching Signs ELC with Buffalo

Brawndo

He has nowhere near Draisaitl's hands or playmaking ability. Draisaitl has first-line to elite skill. Hudson is middle six.

He does have a similar body and strength on the puck.

Unlike Draisaitl, he will rarely make a pass that isn't safe or obvious — with all the pluses and minuses that implies — or beat someone with his stickhandling. He will hound the puck better and seems faster.

I do think he would be a good fit for the type of game Bylsma preaches — safe, disciplined, structured, attack with speed.

He's a 20-year-old 4th-rounder who should have been a second-rounder.

He didn't make the top 75 in Hockey News Future Watch this year and barely made it the two previous years.

He's a similar prospect to Bailey, in that he could be a middle-six forward but could just as easily fail entirely.

I like him a lot, but let's keep things in perspective.

I read this and 3Putt's post and immediately think he has a reasonable chance to be a Pascal Dubois type with a ceiling closer to Kunitz. No standout skill, but does a lot of things well and can fit into a system with a defined role.

The other thing to bear in mind is that he might be defensively responsible and aggressive, but I've not seen any games or writing with him being physical or all that much of a checker. He's a nice guy at heart. Which might not endear him to everyone.

Kind of like Sam Reinhart then?

I've read it multiple times that this is burning a year on Fasching's ELA status.

But Vogl had a good explanation about how, given when he was born (maybe, like, the month itself (?)), this actually brings him "current" with most prospects with whom he was drafted. Something like that.

I'm all good with it. He'll be 21 years old in July. Let's get this evaluation process rolling.

Kind of like Sam Reinhart then?

You'd need to add in elite level hockey IQ to get to Sam.

Martin St.Louis was an undrafted player.

Well I do belive the hype machine should calm down, we shouldn't dismiss Fasching based on where he was drafted.

I think we've all been so enamored of top picks, we forget that valued contributors come from all up and down the draft, and that not everyone slots in the NHL per the scouting reports.  Also, many players don't come into the league in their final role.  Brian Gionta recalled recently that the broke into the league as a third liner before breaking into the top 6.  Justin Abdelkader came into the league as an energy line guy before eventually moving up to Detroit's top line.  I think we've been a bit spoiled by Sam and Jack stepping right into top roles right off the bat.

I expect Fasching may replace Cat-nasty on the fourth line and will get brief looks with the top two lines.  He will probably start next season in Rochester and will earn his way into the league like so many other NHLers.  He will probably come in as a 3-4 line guy and may earn his way up the roster.  I like the guy, I think he has top line potential, but realistically he won't make it that high.  Bring in enough guys with that kind of potential though and someone will pan out and THE BUFFALO SABRES WILL BE FINE.

i just want to revisit the trade:

Brayden McNabb has 9 points this year in LA with 176 hits and 86 blocked shots. Had 22 points last year.

He plays 18 minutes a game at 25 and it looks like he will have a decent career as a 4/5 guy.

The Kings also got back the two 2nd-rounders they had originally sent to us for Robyn Regehr

* Alex Lintuniemi was picked 60th in 2014. He's a big defenceman with 14 points in 31 games playing in the ECHL. He did not make the top 10 of their Future Watch prospect list, which is considered among the league's worst.

* Erik Cernak was picked 43 in 2015. He's a big defenceman with 9 points in 29 games in the OHL. He is their 7th-ranked prospect for Future Watch.

Fasching put up 20/18/38 in 37 games with Minnesota this year and is rated Buffalo's second-best prospect. We have the number-two pool in Future Watch, but that is misleading since the ranking includes 21-and-under NHLers.

Nick Deslauriers has 11 points this year in 61 games with 175 hits and is the team's best fighter. Had 15 points last year.

He plays 10 minutes a game at 25 and it looks like he will have a decent career as a fourth-line banger.

You'd need to add in elite level hockey IQ to get to Sam.

My point simply a response to the quote

I've not seen any games or writing with him being physical or all that much of a checker.

And that point was that you don't have to be a vicious checker to be a contributing team member. Maybe I should have compared him to Gionta instead.  I think a lot of Sabres fans gave up on actually winning and figured if we can't win we should at least win the physical game.  This attitude is a holdover from the Nolan mindset, but it's still around.

I'm wondering we got 9 games left ?  Don't you burn the first ELC year after only 9 games ?

Or does this not count at the end of the season ?

Yeah, it'll burn up his first year, but I think thats a "whatever" situation to Murray and Co. They want him on the team, and this keeps them from losing him to FA.

My point simply a response to the quote

As was mine to yours.

I think a lot of Sabres fans gave up on actually winning and figured if we can't win we should at least win the physical game.  This attitude is a holdover from the Nolan mindset, but it's still around.

I'm not so sure it's a Nolan holdover. GM TM has talked a lot (albeit some time ago) about his desire to have a team that can play a heavy game.

As was mine to yours.

I'm not so sure it's a Nolan holdover. GM TM has talked a lot (albeit some time ago) about his desire to have a team that can play a heavy game.

I don't think a heavy game necessarily means throwing body checks. Strong board play and driving the net are heavy components that don't require throwing thundering checks.

I don't think a heavy game necessarily means throwing body checks. Strong board play and driving the net are heavy components that don't require throwing thundering checks.

If you get knocked on your arse whether going to the net or on the wall I would say your too light.

I read this and 3Putt's post and immediately think he has a reasonable chance to be a Pascal Dubois type with a ceiling closer to Kunitz. No standout skill, but does a lot of things well and can fit into a system with a defined role.

That with 3Putts post that I just read makes a lot of sense.  If you can get a Kunitz out of a 4th round talent, you take it and run.  He looked great in Minnesota especially this season. 

And that video is glorious.

It mos def is worth a view. I wish I could find it on YouTube so that it could be embedded. 

For those who need a sneak preview: The video is a short clip of Eichel clowning around with Fasching doing some mock interview after an off-day team-building soccer match.

My understanding is because of his age they could sign him to a 3 year ELC, as opposed to most college players who can only be offered 2 year ELCs. So this season is a bonus. And then he will be a RFA when the contract expires.

Thanks, pj. I think this is what I'd heard: That signing him now really doesn't burn a year at all. Just allows for a bonus sneak peek. (And gets him into the organization.)

Edited by That Aud Smell

I just hope Dan doesn't stick him on the 4th line. Let him play with ROR or Jack and let's see how he does with a good center.

I expect Cat-nasty to be sent down leaving a space for him on the 4th line.  We'll get a better indication of where he will slot over the long haul in training camp.

I don't know that I would call Eich and Reino "physical" players, but they've proven they can absorb a check and keep the play going.  But you'll never (or rarely) hear that those guys delivered a "thundering" check to an opponent.

I don't know that I would call Eich and Reino "physical" players, but they've proven they can absorb a check and keep the play going.  But you'll never (or rarely) hear that those guys delivered a "thundering" check to an opponent.

There's someone here who noted it - a difference between O'Reilly and Eichel. That O'Reilly is tenacious on the puck, but is more a guy who is working at you with his stick, never gives up, is always on your tail. That Eichel is really the "heavier" player of the two - that he not only takes contact well, but, most often while in control of the puck, actually seeks it out sometimes in order to gain an advantage. 

I can't recall who made the observation, but damned if I haven't been noticing Eichel's proclivity for contact (not of the thundering check variety, of course (or really much of any body checking)) since then. I think what we see in Eichel is, in fact, a fairly heavy game. Once that kid gets a bit more grown, he is going to be leaning on opponents in a big(ger) way. 

Edited by That Aud Smell

Awesome news that he'll be up in Buffalo right away! I wonder what number he'll wear. He wore 24 with Minnesota. Will they give him that right off the bat, or will he get a generic 50-something a la Bailey?

As far as projections go, I have only been able to watch a couple full games. However, from highlights and scouting reports, I would say his floor is a Marcus Foligno (who I see was just mentioned above as I write) type of player. Solid power forward that'll work the walls and be a threat in front of the net. Might not pan out as top 6, but a valuable NHL piece. His ceiling is definitely a top 6 RW though, one that'll play gritty on the boards and sit in front of the net as he flanks one of our young centermen. Best case scenario, he might be worthy of a second line RW spot, or maybe first line based on chemistry (if he really clicks with Eichel, say). I'm impressed with his hands for a big guy. He seems very skilled at tracking rebounds and putting them home.

A sum up of what the CBS(?) hockey reporter that was on WGR this morning said. The reporter has been following Hudson since at 15.

Another Marcus Foligno? Or is he better?

Again, according to the reporter on WGR this morning, his ceiling is higher. No guarantees, but he has *hands* for a big man.

Edited by Woods-Racer

Another Marcus Foligno? Or is he better?

Similar in stature, but overall better athlete with more skill.     Maybe more like a poor man's Ryan Kesler or Dustin Brown?   Strong around the net, not flashy, but can bury in tight.

from http://espn.go.com/nhl/columns/story?id=6145415&columnist=burnside_scott

"He is an elite soccer player whose high school team is on a 47-0 run that includes two state championships. He was undefeated in junior varsity tennis, essentially without having picked up a racket before the tennis season began."

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.