Fasching Signs ELC with Buffalo

Brawndo

How so? Long before DD doesn't make it tradition. We're talking maybe since the 04 lockout at the earliest.

Really? Then why would the 7th overall pick of 1996 have been wearing #73 in the preseason of his rookie year?

post-760-0-54081200-1458847656_thumb.jpg

Edited by That Aud Smell

Pre-season is not the regular season 

Well, and it's different to come into camp and make the team. This is Fasching's camp/preseason, essentially.

#ILOVEYOURIPPER

#RIPPERSTRADITIONS4EVAH

+++

EDIT:

wait - whut?

Goalie Dominik Hasek had never picked his own number before the Sabres acquired him in 1992.

Back home in the Czech Republic, he was given No. 9 as a 16-year-old when a player got sick. When he came to North America in 1990, the Chicago Blackhawks gave him Nos. 31 and 34.

So shortly after he arrived, Hasek was shocked when equipment manager Rip Simonick approached him at a late-summer workout at Sabreland in Wheatfield.

“I still remember, it was my first year in Buffalo,” Hasek, whose No. 39 was retired on Tuesday, said prior to the Sabres’ 3-1 loss to the Detroit Red Wings. “We were practicing before the training camp in Sabreland, and Rip Simonick came to me.”

Hasek didn’t know Simonick.

“He introduced himself, ‘I am the equipment manager of the Buffalo Sabres,’ and he was asking me, ‘Dom, what number do you want to wear?’” Hasek said.

Hasek just looked at Simonick.

“Somebody, first time in my life, asked me, ‘What number do I want to wear?’” Hasek said. “Seriously, it was the first time in my life. So I was like, ‘Whoa, maybe the Sabres (are serious).’ I tried to stick with No. 9. But I felt like OK, No. 9 was in Czech. I want to put some other number on.”

http://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/choosing-number-was-special-for-sabres-legend-dominik-hasek/

Edited by That Aud Smell

Well, and it's different to come into camp and make the team. This is Fasching's camp/preseason, essentially.

#ILOVEYOURIPPER

#RIPPERSTRADITIONS4EVAH

Dudes are gonna play. They're on the team. It's the regular season. Give em real numbers. 

Edited by d4rksabre

Dudes are gonna play. They're on the team. It's the regular season. Give em real numbers. 

You get a load of the story about how RIPPER asked Dom what number he wanted?

I'm so confused now. I want the origin story for this foolishness. My bet? It was Lindy's idea.

I'm so confused now. I want the origin story for this foolishness. My bet? It was Lindy's idea.

There's some sort of pecking order. Eichel got a number, Rudy got a number, but most rooks don't. Traded NHL pros seem to get their number as long as it isn't taken.

To be fair, Dom wasn't a rookie anymore, so I think that gives him a free pass from the Ripper rule. 

There's some sort of pecking order. Eichel got a number, Rudy got a number, but most rooks don't. Traded NHL pros seem to get their number as long as it isn't taken.

Also the story from camp is that Eichel could have taken 15 if he wanted to. He didn't have to take a Rip special. So clearly there are exceptions. Which makes the whole idea of it being some kind of tradition even weirder. It very clearly isn't. It's just Rip being a dick. 

Also the story from camp is that Eichel could have taken 15 if he wanted to. He didn't have to take a Rip special. So clearly there are exceptions. Which makes the whole idea of it being some kind of tradition even weirder. It very clearly isn't. It's just Rip being a dick funking awesome.

FTFY

To be fair, Dom wasn't a rookie anymore, so I think that gives him a free pass from the Ripper rule.

Also the story from camp is that Eichel could have taken 15 if he wanted to. He didn't have to take a Rip special. So clearly there are exceptions. Which makes the whole idea of it being some kind of tradition even weirder. It very clearly isn't. It's just Rip being a dick.

Then all our favorite players end up with sucky big numbers and don't want to change.

NEW MESSAGE FROM SAM REINHART: Hey Hudsy, you wanna come with me to the docks? I know a guy there who might be able to get you a real number on your jersey. Bring cash.

Hahahaha. Although Sam's name would probably be a code name, as this would be on the down low.

Rudy as in Ruhwedel?

Anyways, it does seem rather arbitrary if it only applies to some players.

If a player is good enough to play in the NHL regular season, they're good enough to choose their number. I don't even care if it's an emergency recall who plays 1 game, it's not like they'd have a permanent lock on the number. If Cal O'Reilly wore 91 this year and we signed Stamkos, you think the team would be all "Sorry Steve, but our AHL captain wore that number last year, you can't have it." I think not. And I'm not even a person who cares what number players wear, I just think it's dumb they don't get to choose because an equipment manager said they can't. 

I'm gonna build a bunker for those who support Rip Simonick's esteemed tradition of hazing rookies with bad numbers.

I don't expect to have much company. Or any, really.

Don't ever change, Rip.

I don't know if we can keep up with this Bunker Race.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.