GDT: Buffalo @ Anaheim, 10:30 pm est, 2-24-2016

WildCard

The triumverate I'm a part of is focused on Bylsma. If you want to rip Risto for his play the last month, I'm not going to stop you.

Like Randall said, it's been more than a month. Just don't see the criticism directed his way on the scale of Kane's.

I'm not going to disagree with you on Goober. My confidence in him is waning.

Take it back! I want my GM making that trade every time. But I do find it amusing that the Winnipeg fans were basically 100% right on Kane the hockey player--it's forceful and he'll get some goals and knock people through the glass, but man it's ugly.

Yup. And Sabres fans were right about what kind of players Myers and Stafford are. And look where both of the teams are in the standings.

I enjoyed seeing Getzlaf rampage over our centers because it reinforced how right I was about ROR being necessary to insulate Jack and Samson :D

Can you imagine if Murray hadn't made this trade?? What would our season have looked like....probably like tonight, almost every game.

Edited by Thorny

There's this thing that we do, that we don't have to do, that teams like Chicago and LA and Tampa never do. We get the puck in our zone, begin a breakout, have several passing options, and then chip it off the boards so it safely crosses the blue line and lands softly on an Anaheim defender's stick. This is intentional, it happens 5-6 times a period. I don't get it. We also assume that if we get the puck back and need to change, the play automatically has to be one that gives the Ducks the puck and allows them to try again. Sometimes, circumstantially, it makes sense to chip the puck down low. But we also do it when we have every opportunity to maintain possession and try to form an attack.

It's amazing how good a team like the Ducks are at getting the puck to the man they want carrying it into the zone (usually Getzlaf) and having everyone else read the play, open lanes, make space, and get open for passes. We don't do ANYTHING like that. Legwand, Eichel, and everyone in between, attempts to do the same thing every time, while their teammates dick around and do everything but get open. 

I'm drooling over the way the Ducks' defensemen can move the puck up the ice. 

I never made a point to watch Ryan Kesler. I always thought he was a great hockey player, based on reputation. Holy hell is he a piece of trash. He plays like Jeff Skinner, but is allowed to do whatever the he wants because he has a reputation as a great defensive player. I hope we can find a guy that can sit on people for 10 minutes of ice time with no issues at all. Wait, no I don't. If I had to watch that POS 82 times a year I'd find a different team to root for.

I love Kane on this team, as a "3rd" liner with Larsson and Gionta and a PKer. When injuries pile up and he moves up, that line dies. 

As JJ mentioned, Risto was bad. I wish he had a Tallinder like Myers did, because I really think 5 months of being the best defenseman on the team, being played huge minutes in all situations, can wear down a 21 year old and make him look like he does.

Yup. And Sabres fans were right about what kind of players Myers and Stafford are. And look where both of the teams are in the standings.

Can you imagine if Murray hadn't made this trade?? What would our season have looked like....probably like tonight, almost every game.

Add to it Pens fans and Bylsma. Bottom line is crowd sourcing paints a pretty accurate picture.

My BAC is three times as high as Kane's SP% right now, and all I did was accidentally choke and swallow some Listerine while rinsing. 

Outstanding :lol:

I've been a fan a long time, this feels like a no goal game to me.

Thanks Hound.  After 45 years and close to 4000 games (many as a season ticket holder), I really can feel it, sense it.  I had little doubt in the first period that this was "one of those games".  You hope you're wrong, but after 100-200 of these games, you know.  The good news is, the next game is new, and a chance for a win.  I'm a Sabres fan for life.  I'm just as positive.  I'll celebrate the Cup when we win, tremendously.  Unfortunately, sometimes, a game is a clunker and some of us experienced folks can see very early on.  But, we never turn the game off even though we know the outcome before it happens.   Let's go Buffalo!

Edited by Tondas

There's this thing that we do, that we don't have to do, that teams like Chicago and LA and Tampa never do. We get the puck in our zone, begin a breakout, have several passing options, and then chip it off the boards so it safely crosses the blue line and lands softly on an Anaheim defender's stick. This is intentional, it happens 5-6 times a period. I don't get it. We also assume that if we get the puck back and need to change, the play automatically has to be one that gives the Ducks the puck and allows them to try again. Sometimes, circumstantially, it makes sense to chip the puck down low. But we also do it when we have every opportunity to maintain possession and try to form an attack.

It's amazing how good a team like the Ducks are at getting the puck to the man they want carrying it into the zone (usually Getzlaf) and having everyone else read the play, open lanes, make space, and get open for passes. We don't do ANYTHING like that. Legwand, Eichel, and everyone in between, attempts to do the same thing every time, while their teammates dick around and do everything but get open. 

I'm drooling over the way the Ducks' defensemen can move the puck up the ice. 

I never made a point to watch Ryan Kesler. I always thought he was a great hockey player, based on reputation. Holy hell is he a piece of trash. He plays like Jeff Skinner, but is allowed to do whatever the ###### he wants because he has a reputation as a great defensive player. I hope we can find a guy that can sit on people for 10 minutes of ice time with no issues at all. Wait, no I don't. If I had to watch that POS 82 times a year I'd find a different team to root for.

I love Kane on this team, as a "3rd" liner with Larsson and Gionta and a PKer. When injuries pile up and he moves up, that line dies. 

As JJ mentioned, Risto was bad. I wish he had a Tallinder like Myers did, because I really think 5 months of being the best defenseman on the team, being played huge minutes in all situations, can wear down a 21 year old and make him look like he does.

Bylsma said it in the offseason: he thinks the hardest thing for a defenseman to do is turn. He tries to design zone entries to make them turn. But he's only halfway home: his zone entries make them turn and retrieve, whereas what's actually hard is to turn and chase (a puck carrier). You want to get behind the defenseman with the puck, just chipping it in and making them go after an unpossessed puck is not hard on them.

5 year contract. 5 freakin years. We were a 5th Avenue clone away from Babcock  :censored:  :censored:  :censored:

Add to it Pens fans and Bylsma. Bottom line is crowd sourcing paints a pretty accurate picture.

It makes sense, I always try to be as objective as possible when telling fans of other teams what our guys are like when they get them. No reason not to, since they're always going to spend the rest of the season focusing on the player, and lying/exaggerating would just make you look stupid.

One positive-they have a starting goalie.

Per Travis Yost

Lehner is going to finish his 100th NHL game at ~ .917 career to date

Crawford: .918

Quick: .916

Miller: .915

So you're saying he's right in the middle of the guys who draw endless elite-vs-overrated arguments? Ugh. :P

Edited by Randall Flagg

It makes sense, I always try to be as objective as possible when telling fans of other teams what our guys are like when they get them. No reason not to, since they're always going to spend the rest of the season focusing on the player, and lying/exaggerating would just make you look stupid.

So you're saying he's right in the middle of the guys who draw endless elite-vs-overrated arguments? Ugh. :P

#definitionofmoststarters

A lot of Kane's shots are medium range shots, charging into the Ozone with nobody (or 1 defender) between him and the goalie, and are easy saves...... I wouldn't mind seeing some of those opportunities taken to the net.

I only watched 2 periods...... but for the 1st time it looked to me as though Eichel had some "don't give a ____" moments. Once he got caught on a long shift..... but it's the 1st time I've noticed a lack of 100% from Jack.....

Lets see, we played a team that is 15-2-1 in its last 18 games with 10 of the last 14 of those on the road, they have scored 60 goals in the last 13 games prior to playing us last night.............. We lose 1-0 on the road with 3 rookies in the forward ranks and 2 basically rookies in the back-line along with Colaiacovo BUT the reasons we lost were our players sucked, our coaching sucked and the refs sucked plus Eichel just wasn't giving any effort???

And I thought my ex-wife was hormonal.

I had every intention of watching the game. In fact I watched the pregame all the way up until 10:30 and then ended up turning it off to grab some food and said I would turn it back on once the scoring alerts started coming in. Well, they never came and I didn't watch a single minute. Sounds like I made a good choice, though I probably could have gone to bed earlier had I watched it...

We've seen some bad goalie pulls in the past few years.

That was a contender.

That whole sequence was pretty telling about what a turd DB is, maybe even a choker. Just pull the guy, for the love of God. 56 seconds to go, faceoff outside the Ducks' line. Pull. The. Kraken. Waiting for clear possession in the offensive zone is from the 50s.

Jack had a rough game, but it was pretty obvious that taking him out of the equation was the Ducks gameplan.

Would have preferred seeing Kane on the 3rd line; having somebody w/ hands on that line could've gotten them to OT. Would have then also moved Bailey to Eichel's line so he'd have speed (to go along w/ size) on either side of him. And for the love of all that is holy, put Kane back onto the 2nd pp unit & give the 1st either Girgensons or Bailey until O'Reilly is back.

Considering who they were playing & who they were missing, it was a good road effort. Just not good enough.

Jack had a rough game, but it was pretty obvious that taking him out of the equation was the Ducks gameplan.

Would have preferred seeing Kane on the 3rd line; having somebody w/ hands on that line could've gotten them to OT. Would have then also moved Bailey to Eichel's line so he'd have speed (to go along w/ size) on either side of him. And for the love of all that is holy, put Kane back onto the 2nd pp unit & give the 1st either Girgensons or Bailey until O'Reilly is back.

Considering who they were playing & who they were missing, it was a good road effort. Just not good enough.

Summed it up perfectly.

That last three minutes was a little tough to watch, but I thought it was a pretty entertaining game.

Not sure it was worth staying up that late for a 1-0 loss as I'm now dreaming of yet another coffee and didn't even see a very good game.

After reading the GDT there wasn't too much love for Lehner.  The team sure sucked but loved Lehner once again.  Game wouldn't have even been close if not for him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.