John Scott - A Guy Like Me

sabills

Did he back out of the all-star game yet?   I hear Ovi and Toews are non-participants because of Scott's presence turning the festivities it into a clown show when it should be celebrating the truly great players in the game today.

Did he back out of the all-star game yet?   I hear Ovi and Toews are non-participants because of Scott's presence turning the festivities it into a clown show when it should be celebrating the truly great players in the game today.

Where did you hear this?

That was a great read. I remember hearing about the engineering degree when we first signed him. I'm glad he won the all star vote and I helped him get there with a bit of ballot stuffing myself. I don't usually watch the All Star game but I think I will this year. If the league wants to engage the fans, they shouldn't try to override our choices. He may not be a highly skilled player, but he is an All Star because the fans said so.

Enjoy it, Big Fella. I hope he gets a Gordy Howe hat trick and punches some asshat like Kessel, Lucic, or Chara square in the damn nose.

God, read the two other threads this is being discussed in.  :nana: 

I think it does deserve its own thread. John Scott and the NHL legacy of fighting is a topic worthy of further exploration. 

I agree.  The dude is quite smart and to read about him doing his work while traveling with the hockey team, etc.  That was great stuff. He found his way to stay around the NHL and you can't blame him for that but he clearly doesn't like it. He just loved hockey and wanted to play.  

There's just too much to like about him and given that his teammates have always spoken highly of him you have to figure that he does his thing and people respect him.

I agree.  The dude is quite smart and to read about him doing his work while traveling with the hockey team, etc.  That was great stuff. He found his way to stay around the NHL and you can't blame him for that but he clearly doesn't like it. He just loved hockey and wanted to play.

There's just too much to like about him and given that his teammates have always spoken highly of him you have to figure that he does his thing and people respect him.

Rob Ray has said a lot of similar stuff. At some point in juniors or something a coach pretty much told him that is only way to play pro was to fight people, so he did. 

Toews didn't play half the game yesterday with flu like symptoms

Ovie has a nagging injury that was made worse by clearing his drive from snow

Those are the two 'official' reasons. Ovie was drunk as hell at last years, so I don't see how he can claim the moral high ground on the sanctity of the all-star game and Toews is a true professional. I call BS on them pulling out because of Scott. Realistically they pulled out because no-one really wants to go to the all-star game more than once in their career and both of their teams are poised for a deep playoff run and would be better with their top players in 100% condition.

It was already a clown show, now it's just a clown show with a bad player. The anger over this is amazing. Meanwhile, Pekka Rinne is selected on merit while sitting at 36th in the league in SV%, and nobody says a peep.

John Scott may be one of my favorite personalities and people that were ever on the Sabres. He won the fan vote because for every team that he has been on, the fans have recognized that he is a good guy - a lovable goofball who plays the enforcer role. It was very interesting to read about his perspective on the whole situation.

John Scott may be one of my favorite personalities and people that were ever on the Sabres. He won the fan vote because for every team that he has been on, the fans have recognized that he is a good guy - a lovable goofball who plays the enforcer role. It was very interesting to read about his perspective on the whole situation.

John Scott and Steve Ott. Two 4th liners that were on really bad Sabres teams that had a profound effect on my heart.

Can't believe the big lug didn't mention the Sabres in his list of former teams. :angry:

I'll still be pulling for him to find a way to pot 1. :beer:

It was already a clown show, now it's just a clown show with a bad player. The anger over this is amazing. Meanwhile, Pekka Rinne is selected on merit while sitting at 36th in the league in SV%, and nobody says a peep.

Because it's all.......part......of the plaaaaan.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/a-guy-like-me/

Great article by Scott; about becoming a fighter, getting into the NHL, making the All Star Game, getting traded, etc.

Anyone know he has a freaking engineering degree?

As a side note, "The Players Tribune" is a gold mine of this stuff.

Awesome ... sigh, the humanity. Great story. My mind's eye can see the corporate suit making the phone call asking about John's kids. You just KNOW they had some conference room meeting strategizing around different approaches to get Scott to back out. His kids ... His KIDS! He should drop his gloves at the opening face off just to palm walsh the league.

Awesome ... sigh, the humanity. Great story. My mind's eye can see the corporate suit making the phone call asking about John's kids. You just KNOW they had some conference room meeting strategizing around different approaches to get Scott to back out. His kids ... His KIDS! He should drop his gloves at the opening face off just to palm walsh the league.

NHLers are just meat to these guys.  Buncha .

Anyone know he has a freaking engineering degree?

Yep, but it's from Michigan Tech.  Kind of a.... party school.  Don't get me wrong, I know some really gifted engineers who got their degrees there, but their program doesn't show up on Top 50 lists or anything like that.  I think the harsh Upper Peninsula weather instills as much character as the classes do.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.