John Scott - A Guy Like Me

sabills

The ASG is not an actual NHL game. There is no hitting, no fighting, and therefore Scott has no skill to add. He. Does. Not. Belong.

So all the rest of us should treat your opinion as fact? What makes you such a special little snowflake that your opinions should trump that of the thousands of people who voted him in? I'd rather watch Scott than half of the prima donnas who were selected.

So all the rest of us should treat your opinion as fact? What makes you such a special little snowflake that your opinions should trump that of the thousands of people who voted him in? I'd rather watch Scott than half of the prima donnas who were selected.

Well, you can off too. 

I made an argument, if you want to combat a stance, go ahead. 

Well, you can ###### off too. 

I made an argument, if you want to combat a stance, go ahead.

I've made my argument. Scott was voted in and deserves to go. You're the one who won't stop whining about it incessantly. Maybe you should get over it. Or suck a bag of ###### while you cry yourself to sleep about the evil John Scott ruining your All Star game.

Edited by Drunkard

I've made my argument. Scott was voted in and deserves to go. You're the one who won't stop whining about it incessantly. Maybe you should get over it. Or suck a bag of ###### while you cry yourself to sleep about the evil John Scott ruining your All Star game.

Blow me you

The ASG is not an actual NHL game. There is no hitting, no fighting, and therefore Scott has no skill to add. He. Does. Not. Belong.

The ASG is a celebration of NHL hockey.

Fighting is a promoted part of NHL hockey.

There's no reason Scott shouldn't be there.

Asserting otherwise is to claim that the NHL is ashamed of its own product.

Blow me you ######

Don't worry I'm sure you're still a special little snowflake to your parents. Too bad they didn't teach you that your opinion isn't any more valuable than anyone else's and what you think doesn't get to trump the thousands of votes from people who wanted John Scott to be an All Star.

Fighting is a skill. Protecting your teammates is a skill. The league may be trying to phase fighting out of the game but many fans still enjoy it and it's a big part of what turned people into fans to begin with (in my case and many others). A good fight is more exciting than a goal to me and it's unfortunate that both are happening less and less frequently. This whole bs about him not having enough skill to be an all star is just snobbery. The league wanted fan involvement so they allowed fans to vote on the players. The fans selected John Scott therefore he is an All Star.

I wonder if that would be the case it there were routinely 3-4 fights per game, and most of those grappling affairs where neither guy really shows any plan or skill fighting. You know, like NHL goals these days. :)

Don't worry I'm sure you're still a special little snowflake to your parents. Too bad they didn't teach you that your opinion isn't any more valuable than anyone else's and what you think doesn't get to trump the thousands of votes from people who wanted John Scott to be an All Star.

It's a forum, we discuss things, routinely in fact. Things get repeated, a lot. Instead of being a child, maybe next time you can add to the discussion

The ASG is a celebration of NHL hockey.

Fighting is a promoted part of NHL hockey.

There's no reason Scott shouldn't be there.

Asserting otherwise is to claim that the NHL is ashamed of its own product.

I've had this go around with you, and I just don't think we'll ever see eye to eye. Fun discussions though, you and JJ. 

You gonna buy a Scott ASG jersey?

It's a forum, we discuss things, routinely in fact. Things get repeated, a lot. Instead of being a child, maybe next time you can add to the discussion

I've had this go around with you, and I just don't think we'll ever see eye to eye. Fun discussions though, you and JJ. 

Why would I do that?  :lol: 

Shoot, I haven't even bought a new Sabres jersey since Numminen was here. 

The skill of fighting. John Scott is taking the job of a Paros/Colton Orr type, not a Brian Flynn. If the league wanted to change the rules, they can do that. But like D4rk said, fighting is a part of the NHL and so is John Scott.

I'm not denying he isn't a part of the NHL, and I've admitted that d4rk is right in that fighting is an NHL skill (albeit it took me awhile to). You really don't think there is some Brain Flynn out there that doesn't have a job because of a Neil or a Scott?

Why would I do that?  :lol: 

Shoot, I haven't even bought a new Sabres jersey since Numminen was here. 

I'm sending you one. 

Last jersey I had was Pommers. Gotta be Jack or Risto next

I'm not denying he isn't a part of the NHL, and I've admitted that d4rk is right in that fighting is an NHL skill (albeit it took me awhile to). You really don't think there is some Brain Flynn out there that doesn't have a job because of a Neil or a Scott?

I'm sending you one. 

There are also 60 NHL goalies taking the place of 60 borderline skaters. However, a proper team needs to have all skill sets covered.

I might. Not in the least bit because it is my 1st name. :)

I don't think Neil is in the same class there, but I get your point. My counter would be that, let's say you take guys out of the league that are better at fighting than other hockey skills. By the time you're down to the 4th line, how much cap space and availability do you think there will be for quality players to put in there? I think you end up with guys that skate around ineffectively for 8 minutes a game. I'm not sure that's better than a line of guys that go out and bump and sometimes fight. Or to put it another way, if you open up 30-60 places for guys that aren't fighters, a guy like Matt Ellis or COR is back in the NHL.

Edited by MattPie

I'm sending you one. 

This is the only jersey on my list right now:

CZ1_yjvUAAEPiQg.jpg

There are also 60 NHL goalies taking the place of 60 borderline skaters. However, a proper team needs to have all skill sets covered.

I might. Not in the least bit because it is my 1st name. :)

Very true. Only need to look over at Montreal to see how badly that went. Having a rookie goalie to backup a Vezina winner wasn't exactly a solid plan

It'd be a sweet rec league jersey. You have to at least get the shirt. I don't think I'll ever find an NHL player with a 10+ letter German last name 

I don't think Neil is in the same class there, but I get your point. My counter would be that, let's say you take guys out of the league that are better at fighting than other hockey skills. By the time you're down to the 4th line, how much cap space and availability do you think there will be for quality players to put in there? I think you end up with guys that skate around ineffectively for 8 minutes a game. I'm not sure that's better than a line of guys that go out and bump and sometimes fight. Or to put it another way, if you open up 30-60 places for guys that aren't fighters, a guy like Matt Ellis or COR is back in the NHL.

As for the cap space, it's all relative. Players that are 4th liners will still be paid as such, just with a different skill set.

The bold is a good point. It's pretty essential to have a 4th line that can grind, and wear down an opponent in the NHL. That's why I love Des. He doesn't just fight, he can do a little bit of everything. He, in my mind, is the absolute perfect 4th liner. No dumb penalties like Kaleta, he doesn't just fight like Scott, and he has some nice hands on him. I'm entirely for players like Des, I'm just not a huge fan of the one-dimensional enforcers like Scott. I don't believe Des belongs in the ASG, but I'd be much, much happier if someone like him went

This is the only jersey on my list right now:

CZ1_yjvUAAEPiQg.jpg

Where did you even find those?  :lol:

Edited by WildCard

The essays are true and accurate, they are founded upon player interviews, they contain actual things that the players say, the pieces are adapted by skilled writers, and endorsed/approved by the players. Win-win-win. Is that enough wins? 

Given how damn difficult it is write a good sentence (let alone a bunch), it never occurred to me that pro athletes were consistently writing such compelling personal essays.

I wanted to believe.

Did he back out of the all-star game yet? I hear Ovi and Toews are non-participants because of Scott's presence turning the festivities it into a clown show when it should be celebrating the truly great players in the game today.

Is it not fan voted? Seems like just a popularity contest regardless. Think the coaches/GMs should vote, or the writers. With the fan voting it is a circus anyhow.

Sidetrack alert. :)

Actually, INFORMED opinions are significantly more valuable than uninformed opinions. Both of your opinions on this subject are far more valuable that that of some cat from Japan (or Greece, or Egypt, or even Blasdell) that has never seen a hockey game.

Sorry, but the "all opinions are equally valid" tripe is a pet peeve. Informed opinions have value, even (especially?) when reaching differing conclusions. ;) But uninformed opinions are pretty much what the proprietor of "All things Scottish" thought of non-Scottish things. :p

Sidetrack alert. :)

Actually, INFORMED opinions are significantly more valuable than uninformed opinions. Both of your opinions on this subject are far more valuable that that of some cat from Japan (or Greece, or Egypt, or even Blasdell) that has never seen a hockey game.

Sorry, but the "all opinions are equally valid" tripe is a pet peeve. Informed opinions have value, even (especially?) when reaching differing conclusions. ;) But uninformed opinions are pretty much what the proprietor of "All things Scottish" thought of non-Scottish things. :p

Oh I definitely agree in theory but in this case we're talking about NHL fans who are voting for who they want to see play in the all star game. I doubt people in Japan or Egypt are firing up their wifi so they can cast a vote to watch Crosby whine to the refs when Kopitar bumps him too hard off the puck. The people who voted Scott in have just as much of a right to prefer to see him take the ice as any other player. Especially for a joke of a game that is the all star game. Even if the vote was basically a middle finger to Bettman.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.