John Scott - A Guy Like Me

sabills

Leave it up to someone like John Scott to wreck the integrity of a 3 on 3 All Star game. I'd rather see 6 John Scott's out there than watch what the league is trying to do to an already unwatchable game. If there's any reason I would watch this game it would be John Scott.

I like John Scott, I think he received an unfair reputation as some kind of dirty player, while the league ignores some of the real dirty cheapshot artist out there. 

Right on, Woody.

Bettman works for the owners, and they love the job he is doing. So maybe Terry should go himself.

Fighting is a skill. Protecting your teammates is a skill. The league may be trying to phase fighting out of the game but many fans still enjoy it and it's a big part of what turned people into fans to begin with (in my case and many others). A good fight is more exciting than a goal to me and it's unfortunate that both are happening less and less frequently. This whole bs about him not having enough skill to be an all star is just snobbery. The league wanted fan involvement so they allowed fans to vote on the players. The fans selected John Scott therefore he is an All Star.

No offense but if a fight is more exciting than a goal to you, you were never turned into a hockey fan by fighting. You were turned into a fighting fan.

Your post brings up an interesting question or two beyond that. With fighting clearly in decline, it's the perfect chance for fighting proponents to prove their case. Are cheap shots on the stars and injuries to the stars on the rise? Is it tougher to turn the momentum of a game with a fight (fewer comebacks)? It should all be in the data.

How about this? The players get so upset at how the league effed with Scott over this they conspire to feed him the puck all game and let him score, making him game MVP, all to collectively give Bettman the finger.

Please let this happen.

If that's not the perfect ASG sponsor, I don't know what is.

Processed cheese. You are correct. :lol:

How about this? The players get so upset at how the league effed with Scott over this they conspire to feed him the puck all game and let him score, making him game MVP, all to collectively give Bettman the finger.

And the million dollars goes to charity!!!!

If that's not the perfect ASG sponsor, I don't know what is.

Fake food/comfort food/that you love/instantly regret eating/and will eventually kill you. Sounds about right.

Bettman works for the owners, and they love the job he is doing. So maybe Terry should go ###### himself.

It does not follow that Terry agrees with everything Bettman does, or things other league administrators do or say. Especially so here.

Is it a new Pegula-attack angle to tie him to Bettman? Was Pegula behind No Goal?!

It does not follow that Terry agrees with everything Bettman does, or things other league administrators do or say. Especially so here.

Is it a new Pegula-attack angle to tie him to Bettman? Was Pegula behind No Goal?!

I missed Terry's impassioned defense of his former player.

No Goal? That was the one in 97, right? Sorry, it was a busy time in my life.

How about half? Scott has a family to feed.

Gotta be tough on 700k a year.

That would be awesome. The only thing that would make it even funnier would be if he pulled a Joe Thornton after he scored his 4th goal.

To paraphrase Patrick Ewing in one of the dumbest things ever said, "NHL players make a lot of money but they spend a lot of money too"

PA, Bettman works for the ownerS, not just Terry. He's a a new player in this old man's game. And Bettman has gotten stale, and the NHL product has as well, the treatment of Scott is just more fuel to the fire. We need someone who can see the future of the game.

You really don't like Pegula eh?

PA, Bettman works for the ownerS, not just Terry. He's a a new player in this old man's game. And Bettman has gotten stale, and the NHL product has as well, the treatment of Scott is just more fuel to the fire. We need someone who can see the future of the game.

You really don't like Pegula eh?

No you're right. I just find blaming Bettman and "the league" to be a little misplaced at times. For example, the state of the game. It's as much on the Board of Governors as Bettman and his staff. (And look at the kind of hockey Bylsma is coaching.)

No you're right. I just find blaming Bettman and "the league" to be a little misplaced at times. For example, the state of the game. It's as much on the Board of Governors as Bettman and his staff. (And look at the kind of hockey Bylsma is coaching.)

Well there I think we can agree, for some reason the Devils have gotten away with it for a couple of decades now, it's not just Bettman.... I just wish the main players in charge of change could open their eyes a little bit

Nailed it! (Although I'm not sure they purposely fed him that much, but I didn't watch)

This discussion came up with the lottery stuff a few weeks ago, and that sounds like a bunch of money, but if you play it out it doesn't go as far as you'd think. I'm not crying poor for John Scott by any means, but think about it this way:

• Scott has played part of 9 seasons in the NHL, mostly around the league minimum, so let's say he's averaged $800k/year (that might even be high) for $7.2M.
  • After this year, I'm not sure he'll be back in the NHL, so let's pretend he retires instead of playing for small money in the AHL or overseas.
  • He's 33, so let's say he lives another 50 years (we're also pretending he hasn't spent a penny of the money he's earned, but if he's been smart investing he might be even).
  • That works out to $144k per year. He's not poor, but he's not exactly rolling in it for the rest of his life, especially with 4 kids to get through school.
  • Obviously, investing, other jobs, wife works, etc. add to that total, but it's not like he's living in a mansion the rest of his life with a stable of exotic cars unless he finds a niche that pays well.
  • It may also be why a lot of the commentary guys and whatnot you still see around the game after they're retired. A big star has the option to retire and do whatever. The borderline guys to a certain degree need to punch a clock and if they came up through Juniors, don't have much education to fall back on.
Edited by MattPie

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.