John Scott - A Guy Like Me

sabills

Nailed it! (Although I'm not sure they purposely fed him that much, but I didn't watch)

This discussion came up with the lottery stuff a few weeks ago, and that sounds like a bunch of money, but if you play it out it doesn't go as far as you'd think. I'm not crying poor for John Scott by any means, but think about it this way:

• Scott has played part of 9 seasons in the NHL, mostly around the league minimum, so let's say he's averaged $800k/year (that might even be high) for $7.2M.
  • After this year, I'm not sure he'll be back in the NHL, so let's pretend he retires instead of playing for small money in the AHL or overseas.
  • He's 33, so let's say he lives another 50 years (we're also pretending he hasn't spent a penny of the money he's earned, but if he's been smart investing he might be even).
  • That works out to $144k per year. He's not poor, but he's not exactly rolling in it for the rest of his life, especially with 4 kids to get through school.
  • Obviously, investing, other jobs, wife works, etc. add to that total, but it's not like he's living in a mansion the rest of his life with a stable of exotic cars unless he finds a niche that pays well.
  • It may also be why a lot of the commentary guys and whatnot you still see around the game after they're retired. A big star has the option to retire and do whatever. The borderline guys to a certain degree need to punch a clock and if they came up through Juniors, don't have much education to fall back on.

Good thing John Scott played college hockey here in the states and has, as discussed earlier in this thread, a mechanical engineering degree. Honestly his biggest problem post hockey will be getting a company to not pay him entry level mech e money since he hasn't ever worked as an engineer. But he does have a real education to fall back on.

Good thing John Scott played college hockey here in the states and has, as discussed earlier in this thread, a mechanical engineering degree. Honestly his biggest problem post hockey will be getting a company to not pay him entry level mech e money since he hasn't ever worked as an engineer. But he does have a real education to fall back on.

Doubt he'd ever work as a "real" engineer, but there would be a ton of companies that would want him as a sales engineer & would pay him a good $. That is, if he can't line up a network gig. Maybe that's the reason Milbury was an unusually large DB towards him - he sees his phony baloney job is on the line & he'd better give the Bettman a 'harumph.'

Edited by Taro T

Nailed it! (Although I'm not sure they purposely fed him that much, but I didn't watch)

First goal, yeah. Second one, the breakaway, was all Johnny Longlegs.

Listened to a little of Hockey Hotline and Andrew Peters proposed the NHL invite one "non-all star" player who has otherwise played a long time or achieved some sort of milestone. Kind of an honorary all-star slot. I could see that, but honestly, trying to recapture the magic of the John Scott ASG moment would fall short. Don't ruin it with a sequel. It's beauty is that it just happened on its own.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

I agree, he's in a good spot, which is more than a lot of guys can say.

Doubt he'd ever work as a "real" engineer, but there would be a ton of companies that would want him as a sales engineer & would pay him a good $. That is, if he can't line up a network gig. Maybe that's the reason Milbury was an unusually large DB towards him - he sees his phony baloney job is on the line & he'd better give the Bettman a 'harumph.'

The guy was made for TV.  He's witty, thinks quick on his feet, speaks good English, and has a legitimate claim to both the American and Canadian markets.  He could be the lightning in a bottle the NHL could use to market the game to the U.S. 

I wouldn't be surprised if he got one more season in the NHL just based on the good vibes he generated, perhaps for another warm weather hockey city that's looking for someone to hang their hat on to boost attendance while they rebuild.

Honestly, they should do the John Scott movie like The Princess Bride, where an old, grizzled grandpa is telling the story to his grandkids.  The grandpa, of course, will be played by Scott himself, and in the end the kids won't believe any of it.  That would be an awesome way to tell the story.

I just <3 John Scott to pieces. I personally would love it if GMTM picked him up for a season. Give him 10-12 minutes a night on a regular basis and you might get some production out if him. Who knows?

Not exactly your main point, but DD hates our 4th line. They only get 5-7 minutes a night. And it's stupid Edited by WildCard

Always liked Big John and was sad to see him leave the Sabres even though like many said his spot would better be served to someone that could really play the game. Now I'm hearing former team mates both Sabres and otherwise saying how great a team mate he was. Virtually anyone thats played with this guy has nothing bad to say about his character. Just a decent human being. Its been nice seeing guys like Milbury and Roenick eat crow the last few days. Loudmouths. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.