Lehner's back: What happens?

dudacek

Figured this deserved its own thread.

Robin Lehner in 3 conditioning starts with the #Amerks:

1-2, 3.36 GAA, .888 save (not Dave) %.

He'll be back with the #Sabres Thursday.

Does Ullmark get the net until a loss, or is he back in Rochester tomorrow?

Any chance we can just trade away Johnson and keep both Swedes?

Edited by dudacek

Ugh, I'm not sold on lehner, I know murray says it's his guy, and it's a rehab stint and small sample size but those are terrible numbers. Not to mention lehner never impressed me before the trade here.

I would love to stick with the swedes and have them battle for the the #1 spot. I just can't see murray or disco letting that happen.

Lehner starts.  The Big Johnson is the backup.  Linus "The One" Ullmark gets seasoning in the AHL. 

I can't possibly imagine any other scenario.

If Lehner is just awful terrible, maybe GMTM does something after 10 games or so.

And.... might as well let the team learn how to win in front of Lehner if he's just awful terrible, then insert a good goaltender and the Sabres will actually be good.

I'm one of the few guys who liked this trade but I have to wonder if Lehner will ever be able to cement a spot here

To succeed, he will have had to overcome:

1) a concussion

2) the fact the fanbase didn't think too much of him to begin with

3) the fact we gave up a first rounder to get him

4) the fact other goalies were available for less

5) an unimpressive training camp

6) a high ankle sprain

7) the fact the unassuming Chad Johnson has been perfectly serviceable in his absence

8) Linus Ullmark's great first and last impressions

9) Ullmark's extreme likability

10) a one-year layoff from high-level hockey

11) what is almost sure to be a shaky first few weeks back.

Talk about being behind the eight-ball.

I'm one of the few guys who liked this trade but I have to wonder if Lehner will ever be able to cement a spot here

1) a concussion

6) a high ankle sprain

7) the fact the unassuming Chad Johnson has been perfectly serviceable in his absence

But he has the only thing that matters, the GM's confidence and support

1) a concussion

6) a high ankle sprain

I liked the trade and still do. And I agree it seems he has a mountain ahead of him to climb. But numbers 2, 3 and 4, at least, will have no tangible impact on his potential success going forward. Some of the others could be affecting, I guess we'll have to wait and see. Unfortunately his conditioning stint hasn't been going great, but I expect it'll take some time for him to get back in to game shape.

The best thing to do when the team finally wins a couple of games........................... mess up the combination. Way to go guys. I'm beginning to think this organization really doesn't want to win.

It's not that they don't want to win ... like the last two seasons ... but it's probably not their highest priority this season.  Right now, they're seeing what they have and who they want to keep going forward.  Figuring out what Murray actually bought in Lehner is a big part of that.

The best thing to do when the team finally wins a couple of games........................... mess up the combination. Way to go guys. I'm beginning to think this organization really doesn't want to win.

Oh please. Schaller should stay if Enzo was ready then? Lehner was the plan and we paid to get him there. Two games! What about his prior ten?

Rehab stints are capped at 14 days.  The team can't just let him stay there longer.

As for his stats, I wouldn't be too concerned over those.  That's not the kind of stuff they're going to be working on in those games.  It's mostly about getting him in game shape and letting him work on specific things.  I'd be curious to see how other goalies have done with theirs, but it seems like they usually wind up with marginal stats.  The good thing in all of this is that Johnson has shown that he can be serviceable, so they'll be able to slowly move Lehner along at the NHL level and not just throw him to the wolves

If I'm in charge I sticking with the Swede. He just keeps getting better

Which one? :)

In all seriousness, Ullmark will go down, it's the only play that makes sense from an assets standpoint. The team can't carry 3 GT on the roster (either because you just can't or we have to be at the 23-man limit with Pysyk coming back). Sending Johnson down means waivers, Ullmark doesn't.

They get a 1/2 season to see what Lehner has to offer. Ullmark gets quality games/minutes in Rochester. They get The Real Johnson some more games to hopefully raise his trade value for an extra month. All good things. They most likely are not playoff participants this year anyway so even if he technically is not ready for prime time that'll improve their draft stock for this summer. Another good thing. That will leave a top 2 LHD and most likely a draftable top 6 forward in the draft to pick up for next season's run to the playoffs. Another good thing. The rebuild is coming along just fine.

As for MODO, I'm guessing a case of Konig and a pint of Absolut Vodka will keep him happy :w00t:

Edited by jsb

They get a 1/2 season to see what Lehner has to offer. Ullmark gets quality games/minutes in Rochester. They get The Real Johnson some more games to hopefully raise his trade value for an extra month. All good things. They most likely are not playoff participants this year anyway so even if he technically is not ready for prime time that'll improve their draft stock for this summer. Another good thing. That will leave a top 2 LHD and most likely a draftable top 6 forward in the draft to pick up for next season's run to the playoffs. Another good thing. The rebuild is coming along just fine.

As for MODO, I'm guessing a case of Konig and a pint of Absolut Vodka will keep him happy :w00t:

Good post.   However, I'll bet this doesn't sit well with guys like O'Reilly and Kane.    They didn't come here to take part in a tank job.   It might be the right move long term, but at some point you've actually got to put your best players on the ice.    Replacing a hot Ullmark with an unproven tendy who hasn't played a full NHL game in a year, is not the right move IMO.     I understand they can't Lehner down in Roch forever (14 days), but at least give him a few more games since it sounds like he hasn't shaken the rust off.

Good post.   However, I'll bet this doesn't sit well with guys like O'Reilly and Kane.    They didn't come here to take part in a tank job.   It might be the right move long term, but at some point you've actually got to put your best players on the ice.    Replacing a hot Ullmark with an unproven tendy who hasn't played a full NHL game in a year, is not the right move IMO.     I understand they can't Lehner down in Roch forever (14 days), but at least give him a few more games since it sounds like he hasn't shaken the rust off.

Oh, you mean like Ullmark in September?

Lets not pretend that Ullmark has been Hasek circa 1999 here; he had a good last two games but anyone who is splitting time with Chad Johnson is not so good that they have to keep him up here. This is better for his development anyways; let him be the man in the AHL for a year, then when Johnson's contract is up he comes up. If Lehner hasn't proven himself by then, well then we have a goalie competition on our hands.

I'm guessing although ROR and Kane are probably not enthused about not making the playoffs, I don't think this is a tank move and they both knew what the Sabres have been the past few years and couldn't have expected this to be a SC year.

I agree with you about Ullmark, I think he was starting to play really well and if Johnson does get traded as I expect, he'll be back up shortly.

True, they didn't come here to lose, but they understand rosters and limits and waivers (probably better than we do, since they have to live with it). This is hardly the first time in their careers someone has been sent down who has been playing well because another player is back and the roster is full. It's part of the game. And I'm sure the older guys have been on teams that don't appear to be headed for the playoffs and ship out UFAs at the deadline, too, for that matter.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.