Lehner's back: What happens?

dudacek

I know he's not released from the team, but he IS cut from the roster.    My point is why rush Lehner back when he still looks shaky?    He says he's still store in his interview today, and doesn't sound very confident at all ("...am I going to be perfect?  I don't know...  we'll see how it goes...").   They should've max'd out his time in Roch before bringing him back up.    Give him some confidence.     He was there for 8 days, they could've left him there for another 6 days which means another weekend of games to fine tune his technique and get his mind right.     Why not take advantage of that option?   

Now this is a reasonable point.

Indeed, that is a very good point. Lehner could be just an honest, self-deprecating guy too. Maybe MODO or if we had a resident Ott'wa fan has heard other interviews with him to know.

Side note: Ullmark is up to 19 games, is it 25 games in a season for him where it counts towards a season for RFA/UFA status?

Edited by MattPie

Indeed, that is a very good point. Lehner could be just an honest, self-deprecating guy too. Maybe MODO or if we had a resident Ott'wa fan has heard other interviews with him to know.

Side note: Ullmark is up to 19 games, is it 25 games in a season for him where it counts towards a season for RFA/UFA status?

Ullmark will be an RFA after the 2016-17 season.   min age for UFA status is 27, he's only 22.  

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/buffalo-sabres

Who do you think is leaving specifically? I'm interested in names personally.

The list of UFAs is a good start, and includes McGinn, Legwand, Cola, Weber, Johnson, and Sanguinetti. Of those, I'd only really forsee to see McGinn back if he wants to be here.

I'm not confident the number will be minimal.

Why should it be minimal though?

The list of UFAs is a good start, and includes McGinn, Legwand, Cola, Weber, Johnson, and Sanguinetti. Of those, I'd only really forsee to see McGinn back if he wants to be here.

I'd bet Legwad returns as well, and maybe Carlos

Ullmark will be an RFA after the 2016-17 season.   min age for UFA status is 27, he's only 22.  

http://www.generalfanager.com/teams/buffalo-sabres

That inadvertently answered my question. A player is a UFA after 27 *or* playing 7 seasons (a season being 25+ games, I believe). But if he's 22, there's no way he can get to 7 seasons before 27, so it's not a factor. The only thing that ticks over at 25 for him is rookie status.

Turning over half the team expecting some sort of chemistry and cohesiveness is just as asinine. 

Especially when you want to make the youngest team in the league even younger. 

Which is why a successful rebuild takes 4-5 years.    

It takes 2-3 years just to shed dead weight in a responsible manner (getting a good return).   

Murray was hired exactly two years ago... this will be his third trade deadline with the Sabres, so I'd put them in the middle of year 2 on his rebuild path, so we're about half-way there I'd say. 

Which is why a successful rebuild takes 4-5 years.    

It takes 2-3 years just to shed dead weight in a responsible manner (getting a good return).   

Murray was hired exactly two years ago... this will be his third trade deadline with the Sabres, so I'd put them in the middle of year 2 on his rebuild path, so we're about half-way there I'd say. 

Murray also said he didn't believe in 5 yr rebuilds.

This is it, Murrays last stand...he's gonna go all out and finish the rebuild this trade deadline and draft/offseason. He'll aquire a couple 2nd rounders and maybe a first and turn those pics into ready prospects through trades or good young draft picks in a deep draft.

Then it's contend or bust from next year on

I know he's not released from the team, but he IS cut from the roster.    My point is why rush Lehner back when he still looks shaky?    He says he's still store in his interview today, and doesn't sound very confident at all ("...am I going to be perfect?  I don't know...  we'll see how it goes...").   They should've max'd out his time in Roch before bringing him back up.    Give him some confidence.     He was there for 8 days, they could've left him there for another 6 days which means another weekend of games to fine tune his technique and get his mind right.     Why not take advantage of that option?

I think it was a long term loan not conditioning. That means max of 3 games.

Depends what you mean by rebuild.    Where does this team need to be to consider the rebuild complete?    

I'd say rebuild means shedding dead weight and adding young players to build around.    That certainly won't take 3 more years.    They have three 3rd rnd picks this draft, and two 2nd round picks in 2017.    I'd say the rebuild will be over after the 2017 draft.   From then on it will just be about developing what they already have.

That said, once the rebuild is over, there will still be deals and drafts and salary cap issues to content with as this team matures.    The job won't get any easier for TM. 

Gonna try to analyze this, seen from my point of view.

Look,

4 seasons ago, i believed Robin Lehner would become something extraordinary, young and very spicy, Robin Lehner has quite a temper as a goalie.

He played some really good games in Ottawa, 5 games with percentage of 93,5 and the word spread like an fire in Sweden, almost noone knew about Robin Lehner before, because he left Sweden for OHL, before even playing a game in SHL.

After that, his Career took a swing, high swing, but about the same time his injuries started, and has been following him like a black sheep ever since, this is the downside with Robin Lehner, i dont know if its his playstyle or what that is the reason.

If Robin Lehner gets to be free of injuries, he will provide, no doubt. I would LOVE seeing Robin Lehner / Linus Ullmark, 2 special goalies indeed with one hell of a teamspirit, but this is my heart speaking, not my common sense, because that would be to send Ullmark down, to R.A, let him own that league like the boss he is, gain more intel of the American way of hockey, and then come up next season as 2nd, and fight for 1st.

This is the most likely scenario. Looking at economy for example. Sending down Chad is not economically.

And if i get this part right, Ullmark can only play 25 games, otherwize Sabres must offer him 1 way contract, right?

Sending down Ullmark now, would most likely be unfair to the team and him, but Robin Lehner costs $2,225.000 per season, he is comming no matter what.

Edited by MODO Hockey

Turning over half the team expecting some sort of chemistry and cohesiveness is just as asinine.

Especially when you want to make the youngest team in the league even younger.

I can agree with that to an extent. I'm just curious as to the other option we have

If Robin Lehner gets to be free of injuries, he will provide, no doubt. I would LOVE seeing Robin Lehner / Linus Ullmark, 2 special goalies indeed with one hell of a teamspirit, but this is my heart speaking, not my common sense, because that would be to send Ullmark down, to R.A, let him own that league like the boss he is, gain more intel of the American way of hockey, and then come up next season as 2nd, and fight for 1st.

This is what I expect to happen. I still expect Lehner to be our # 1 long term but Ullmark to be a good backup.

Is Borje Salming still God over way?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.