GDT: Florida @ Buffalo, 7:00 pm est, 1/5/2015

WildCard

Yooouuuuurrrrr Buffalo Sabres will become your local zoo Tuesday night as they look to tame the ferocious Florida Panthers in a division grudge match that pits those who are free-falling vs those that are sky rocketing. The Sabres, unfortunately, are the former. Stuck at 4 straight losses and a continuing downward trend further and further away from that elusive .500 mark, Buffalo will look to rebound against a tough Panthers team tonight. The Sabres seem to play the wrong game on the wrong nights; we score 3 goals over 3 games with great goal tending, and then scoring 3 in one game and Johnson blows it. But hey, Jagr is due for a stroke and I hear panthers don't do well this far north, so we could have something here.

The Panthers meanwhile, are the hottest team in the league (seriously this is become bull-######. I write a ton of these, and Detroit, Washington, LA, and Dallas all had like 7 game winning streaks when we met them. ###### A'.) Florida has won a franchise record 9 straight, as Barkov and Jagr have become the leagues new dynamic duo and Luongo looks like the goalie that took the Canucks to the Cup. Guess who sits at the top of our division right now? No, not Montreal, and no, not Tampa Bay. Yes, it's these Florida Panthers. They've started selling out crowds and the kids look for real.

Look for Ullmark to start (thank God), and Luongo to get the start. The Panthers are without David Bolland, and the Sabres are without Pysyk, Ennis, and Des. Schaller has been called up to become Matt Ellis 2.0

Game Preview 

STATS:
All Stats Buffalo @ Florida (3-2 loss) 
All Stats Buffalo @ Florida (3-2 win)
All Team Rankings
Team Comparison Chart

Monday Practice Report

The Sabres practice special teams almost every day, but with one caveat: a large portion of their penalty kill unit also belongs to their power play. For this reason, the amount of action that players like Ryan O'Reilly, Evander Kane and Brian Gionta see on the penalty kill in practice is limited.

Buffalo took the time to change that on Monday, using a chunk of the workout to focus on the penalty kill with their full units.

"We had Ryan O'Reilly and [Kane] and Brian Gionta and [Zemgus Girgensons] all killing," Bylsma said. "It's something they don't get to do often and we have to practice it and get better at it. This was just an opportunity to do that

(Lines per Liger)

Forwards:

Kane - O'Reilly - Reinhart

Girgensons - Eichel - McGinn

Moulson - Larsson - Gionta

Foligno - Schaller - Legwand

Defense:

Gorges - Ristolainen

McCabe - Bogosian

Colaiacovo - Franson

Weber - Pysyk

Goalies:

The Swede We Need

Cats___Sabres.jpg

Edited by WildCard

To those who told me I was off my rocker three years ago, when I told you this is where Florida would be in three years..............

finger-018.gif

With that said, these games against the Panthers are notoriously boring. Throw in the fact that the Sabres can't score at home and they can't score when Ullmark is in net. Put it all together and this should be a snoozer that makes the last few games look exciting.

To those who told me I was off my rocker three years ago, when I told you this is where Florida would be in three years..............

finger-018.gif

With that said, these games against the Panthers are notoriously boring. Throw in the fact that the Sabres can't score at home and they can't score when Ullmark is in net. Put it all together and this should be a snoozer that makes the last few games look exciting.

You also claimed their rebuild was over two years ago, and they proceeded to draft 1st overall :nana:

After many many years of revulsion and hatred, I now absolutely love Jaromir Jagr. It's just incredible that he continues to be so effective.

Old man Jagr is awesome, there can be no debate.

After many many years of revulsion and hatred, I now absolutely love Jaromir Jagr. It's just incredible that he continues to be so effective. 

Old man Jagr is awesome, there can be no debate.

I can't think of a modern athlete who's near his equal -- in terms of being effective in top flight play for so (so (so)) long.  

Interesting article on Aleksander Barkov and how the Panther's gambled and won

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/aleksander-barkov-draft-risk-pays-of-for-panthers-165156533.html

"After the Colorado Avalanche took Nathan MacKinnon with the No. 1 pick in the NHL Draft, it came down to two prospects at No. 2: do-it-all center Aleksander Barkov from Finland or slick defenseman Seth Jones of Texas.

“We had some young defensemen already in the mix, we thought our biggest need was – it was close. It came down to Barkov and Jones,” Tallon said."

Edited by LGR4GM

Somewhat surprised they didn't give the call up to Kaleta for D-Lo. Somewhat. I've been ready for Pat to leave for sometime and can't say I miss him. Until the last few games. I actually think his presence may have helped us.  

Can't believe I said that.

Let's go Buffalo!

Love Kane with ROR and Samson, hopefully it lights a fire underneath him and their hockey IQ rubs off on him a bit.

Well, they both have the passing skill to get the puck back to him after his shot misses the net if they can track it down. :p

That line should work. (2 tenacious forecheckers, 2 very gifted passers, 2 guys w/ disruptive speed, 2 good shots, & 2 very high hockey IQ's.)

Here's to hoping it does. :beer:

Somewhat surprised they didn't give the call up to Kaleta for D-Lo. Somewhat. I've been ready for Pat to leave for sometime and can't say I miss him. Until the last few games. I actually think his presence may have helped us.

Can't believe I said that.

Let's go Buffalo!

He's most suited for D-Lo's game but as someone else stated he's on an Amerk contract. Not sure of the Sabres contract count but I'd have to imagine they would only add his contract if D-Lo was out for the season.

Lehner and Pysyk confirmed as being sent to Rochester for conditioning stints by Bylsma. Hopefully they return much sooner than later. I want Pysyk's zone clearing passes back and a real look at Lehner as the #1.

Oooooh >ink checks amerks sched<

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.