Bucky: Pegulas in over their heads

PASabreFan

The Pegulas now own two franchises going nowhere rather than just one. The Bills missed the playoffs for a 16th consecutive season with no end in sight. The Sabres entered Tuesday’s games in 26th place in the NHL. They were two points ahead of Anaheim, which had two games in hand and was one stop from the bottom.

OK, so the Sabres are in better shape now than they were two years ago. The same could be said about the Bills’ quarterback situation. But it doesn’t take a genius to figure out that neither could get much worse. Temporary improvement speaks to low standards more than it points to overall progress.

The cold truth: As it stands now, the Pegulas are in over their heads.

http://sabres.buffalonews.com/2015/12/29/bucky-gleason-pegulas-may-be-in-over-their-heads/

Let the Bucky bashing begin!

Edited by PASabreFan

He might be right when it comes to the Bills, but they're coming out of their first full year of ownership.

I totally disagree about them being in over their heads with the Sabres though. They took a couple years to learn, then hired a guy who looks like he is making the right moves.

Bucky's in over his head.

Sure Bucky, and maybe they could have gone to "sports franchise owner school" and learned how to always get everything right from day one.

God forbid there's a learning curve.

Darn shame that Bucky seems to have had Sully as a mentor. He seemed to have promise when he 1st came on the scene.

What gets me is that the same crowd that is so keen to turn a cynical eye or keystroke to the Pegulas is apparently unable to apply the same level of cynicism to the click bait hogwash that TBN is obliged to churn out in order to placate its advertisers and other business partners.

Bucky's right if running something you've never run before means you're in over your head. I was in over my head at my son's first birthday. Absent being a sports owner savant, who isn't?

I might have written "after keeping the team in Buffalo, Pegula is now 12 months into developing a winner". No doubt season one has been sidewise. No doubt football managerial talent, probably from the outside, will be necessary.

I reserve "in over his head" for someone who's had the time and resources to be successful but has not. Click bait headlines.

The direction of the hockey club satisfies me. It really happened as quickly as it could, first day press conferences not withstanding. I think it can happen more quickly in football, although it doesn't necessarily.

Two slow with Darcy and too quick with Rex?

Edited by N'eo

Sure Bucky, and maybe they could have gone to "sports franchise owner school" and learned how to always get everything right from day one.

God forbid there's a learning curve.

My argument from practically day one was that there didn't need to be a learning curve at all. What did Golisano have to learn, besides the difference between a puck and a meatball? People may not like it, but he hired someone to run things for him and it almost produced a Cup or two. The Pegulas' ginormous egos will be their downfall. The "reason for existence" business was always a bunch of BS. The Sabres exist to be the team Terry wins a Cup with.

The only fault I find with Bucky's piece is it overstates the importance of the Pegulas to Buffalo's resurgence. "The" reason the city is thriving? A bit over the top, but I understand why he had to wash some balls.

Oh, I must have started reading his stuff right after that. He's been a pathetic hack for as long as I can remember.

You surely liked his puff piece on Disco Dan. He went out to Michigan and everything.

Okay, okay.

I read the whole piece - got beyond the excerpt above and the inflammatory headline.

Much of what is said in the piece is fair. The fact that the Bills' top two football people (one of whom is a wind bag coach) report to Terry is a bad idea.

PLF being president of hockey ops was a terrific idea. (Bucky's insistence that PLF was "swept out" is the sort of crap that undermines his credibility.) The Sabres could still use a president of hockey ops.

Same goes for the Bills.

I keep looking at these two statements and trying to reconcile them with each other as a coherent stream of thought.  They just aren't.

Your verbiage could use a little help, too.

Okay, okay.

I read the whole piece - got beyond the excerpt above and the inflammatory headline.

Much of what is said in the piece is fair. The fact that the Bills' top two football people (one of whom is a wind bag coach) report to Terry is a bad idea.

PLF being president of hockey ops was a terrific idea. (Bucky's insistence that PLF was "swept out" is the sort of crap that undermines his credibility.) The Sabres could still use a president of hockey ops.

Same goes for the Bills.

Can anyone say with a straight face he or she knows what really happened with LaFontaine? So Bucky's description seems as valid as anyone's. As for a hockey president, I always liked the idea. Are you arguing for one to be named now? I don't see how that works with someone like Murray already in place.

The "reason for existence" business was always a bunch of BS. The Sabres exist to be the team Terry wins a Cup with.

I keep looking at these two statements and trying to reconcile them with each other as a coherent stream of thought.  They just aren't.

Your verbiage could use a little help, too.

Please. I'll try to help then. Your post was a load of crap and seems like an agenda driven line. You are so put off by the Pegulas to say that Tommy boy simply did it right and almost won? off Larry Quinn! 

It seems like those pushing back against any negativity about the Pegulas, Sabres and/or Bills are getting louder/more confident in themselves. There's a ton to be negative about. The honey moon phase doesn't need to go on.

However, I think it's unfair to call them "over their head." They're still very new to the whole thing. I imagine they'll learn that the meddling can't continue and will put decision makers in place who can control everything on the actual team talent side of things. None of us have ever spent this much money on something. I imagine it's hard to not want control, but sports are a different business entirely where you can't have success constantly choking everything. Let it live on its own and you will find success.

Note - didn't read the article, just impressions from it.

Edited by Hoss

Please. I'll try to help then. Your post was a load of crap and seems like an agenda driven line. You are so put off by the Pegulas to say that Tommy boy simply did it right and almost won? ###### off Larry Quinn!

He brought info directly related to the premise of this board. Not exactly a load of crap.

It seems like those pushing back against any negativity about the Pegulas, Sabres and/or Bills. There's a ton to be negative about. The honey moon phase doesn't need to go on.

However, I think it's unfair to call them "over their head." They're still very new to the whole thing. I imagine they'll learn that the meddling can't continue and will put decision makers in place who can control everything on the actual team talent side of things. None of us have ever spent this much money on something. I imagine it's hard to not want control, but sports are a different business entirely where you can't have success constantly choking everything. Let it live on its own and you will find success.

Note - didn't read the article, just impressions from it.

Good post. To me, good owners aren't cheap, are good to their community, and stay out of player/personnel decisions. He's certainly got 2/3 of them, and appears to be getting better at #3

This whole article wouldn't exist if the Bills were in the playoffs. And basing their demise off a 2 year owner and not the gm, players, or coach, is far fetched to me

Edited by WildCard

He brought info directly related to the premise of this board. Not exactly a load of crap.

Good post. To me, good owners aren't cheap, are good to ther community, and stay out of player/personnel decisions. He's certainly got 2/3 of them, and appears to be getting better at #3

This whole article wouldn't exist if the Bills were in the playoffs. And basing their demise off a 2 year owner and not the gm, players, or coach, is far fetched to me

Agreed. There's cause for concern if these ways continue for a few more years, but it's still so very early in the process.

I made a small edit because my first sentence didn't make sense.

PSA: it's okay to be negative about your favorite teams. Loyalty isn't measured by how positive you are about everything. You can absolutely hate just about every member of the organization and be just as loyal as somebody who loves them all.

Agreed. There's cause for concern if these ways continue for a few more years, but it's still so very early in the process.

I made a small edit because my first sentence didn't make sense.

PSA: it's okay to be negative about your favorite teams. Loyalty isn't measured by how positive you are about everything. You can absolutely hate just about every member of the organization and be just as loyal as somebody who loves them all.

Yup you should hear Jests fans in NJ

Not sure who to root for Sunday guess the Jest if it hastens Rex's demise

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.