Bucky: Pegulas in over their heads

PASabreFan

On the ice the Sabres are about as good as they were when the Pegulas took over.

The difference is they have Eichel and O'Reilly and appear to now be trending up, not down.

Off the ice, they are in the best shape they probably have ever been.

The Pegulas have made mistakes; I've listed them above.

But it doesnt look like they are in over their heads to me.

That's because it appears they've let GMTM run everything with the Sabres. He's the mastermind there.

It's far too early with the Bills. So far it's been bad, yes, but there's time. It's fair to say their moves thus are cause for concern.

Again, the Bills likely would be in the playoffs if there weren't so many injuries to so many key people.

The Steelers are close to the playoffs and may get in despite even more serious injuries than what this team dealt with... Injuries suck but it's not enough to excuse the entire failure, though.

Sure, I think there are degrees. Going from actively advocating a tank to totally lambasting the idea (and all of the supporters of it) within a calendar year is credibility destroying IMO.

This I can agree with. Although I think giving the Pegulas any credit or anger for the tank is silly because I don't believe they knew enough about what it is to do so. Edited by Hoss

Sure, I think there are degrees. Going from actively advocating a tank to totally lambasting the idea (and all of the supporters of it) within a calendar year is credibility destroying IMO.

It's absolutley a matter of degrees.   Advocating ridding us of more than Goose, expecting that it would result in a worse record and better draft pick isn't nearly the same as fielding an AHL squad for 2 seasons to get the best chance at 2 consecutive #1 overall picks.  

Gatdammit, lets not re-do this.

Edited by We've

The Steelers are close to the playoffs and may get in despite even more serious injuries than what this team dealt with... Injuries suck but it's not enough to excuse the entire failure, though.

This I can agree with. Although I think giving the Pegulas any credit or anger for the tank is silly because I don't believe they knew enough about what it is to do so.

No credit to Pegula for the tank. Just credit to say *whatever, it's only money* if our fans don't return after this. So he's not risk adverse, which is a positive in sports.

It's absolutley a matter of degrees. Advocating ridding us of more than Goose, expecting that it would result in a worse record and better draft pick isn't nearly the same as fielding an AHL squad for 2 seasons to get the best chance at 2 consecutive #1 overall picks.

Gatdammit, lets not re-do this.

I'm not sure if this is meant conceptually or in defense of Bucky. If the former, I agree. If it's about Bucky, well, he explicitly mentioned gunning for the top pick and Darcy not doing enough to get it, so we'll have to disagree there.

I'm not sure if this is meant conceptually or in defense of Bucky. If the former, I agree. If it's about Bucky, well, he explicitly mentioned gunning for the top pick and Darcy not doing enough to get it, so we'll have to disagree there.

It was both.  Mid lost season vs. plan from the get go.  One I can get behind, the other....... well, my position is known.  (Probably better makes my point too). 

Bucky went with the word "Always" in the article lambasting The Tank.  yeah, that choice of words does him in.  But I am pretty sure that what he was going for is definitely situational.

Edited by We've

It was both. Mid lost season vs. plan from the get go. One I can get behind, the other....... well, my position is known. (Probably better makes my point too).

Bucky went with the word "Always" in the article lambasting The Tank. yeah, that choice of words does him in. But I am pretty sure that what he was going for is definitely situational.

I think your edit nails it: I think he meant situationally selling off mid season in the 2013 article, but he left himself no wiggle room in his 2014 hatchet job. Even if situational, less than 100% trying to win every game is, in his own words, unacceptable, unprofessional, and unfathomable.

Maybe it was an honest mistake, but I think his own record and the general culture over at TBN sports would say otherwise. Doing whatever he can to get clicks and push readership is part of his job, so I don't begrudge it, but I also don't take what he has to say seriously.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I think your edit nails it: I think he meant situationally selling off mid season in the 2013 article, but he left himself no wiggle room in his 2014 hatchet job. Even if situational, less than 100% trying to win every game is, in his own words, unacceptable, unprofessional, and unfathomable.

Maybe it was an honest mistake, but I think his own record and the general culture over at TBN sports would say otherwise. Doing whatever he can to get clicks and push readership is part of his job, so I don't begrudge it, but I also don't take what he has to say seriously.

I'm sure part of it was a visceral response to fans cheering a loss.  It brought a response that was more emotional than reasoned.  Not his best work, for sure, but taken in that context I get and agree with the meat behind the words, and don't see a hypocrisy.  

I'm sure part of it was a visceral response to fans cheering a loss. It brought a response that was more emotional than reasoned. Not his best work, for sure, but taken in that context I get and agree with the meat behind the words, and don't see a hypocrisy.

We shall agree to disagree.

*Off screen TrueBlue is heard going Kylo Ren on nearby equipment*

Not his best work, for sure, but taken in that context I get and agree with the meat behind the words, and don't see a hypocrisy.  

third-man in, yeah. but i'm gonna say it: i don't get this at all. that guy was almost quite literally speaking out of both sides of his arsehole on this issue.

That's because it appears they've let GMTM run everything with the Sabres. He's the mastermind there.

It's far too early with the Bills. So far it's been bad, yes, but there's time. It's fair to say their moves thus are cause for concern.

I agree on the Sabres, and frankly it's hard to see why anyone would be complaining at this point about TP's stewardship of that franchise.

Regarding the Bills, while the results are certainly disappointing, and while I have been advocating for changes at the top, I don't think that either bringing in Rex or keeping Whaley, Brandon and the other holdovers can be fairly described as rash or foolish or neophyte decisions.  TP wanted to give everyone a fair chance to prove himself.  He didn't have that opportunity at coach because Marrone bailed, so he brought in probably the hottest available coaching candidate, and he kept everyone else on.  The results have been disappointing.  Now we need to see what he does.  It seems like there is a distinct possibility that there will be another PLF-type move that results in a quality addition to the front office. 

Oh, he's made some grave errors, that's for sure.

I just don't think the team is a complete tire fire.

I don't either, but I don't think they will do any better next year unless there are some meaningful changes.

• 1 year later...

Wow, that seems even more spot on today than last year.   The Sabres are looking like a tank team in the 3rd 'rebuild' year, and the Bills are in complete disarray.  

It's astonishing - February will mark 6 full years of Pegula ownership of the Sabres -  it's been downhill ever since they took over. The last time the Sabres had a winning record AND made the playoffs the season began without the Pegulas as owners.

And the Bills began a slow erosion that now looks like total free-fall to the bottom of the NFL.  

Pegulas style of ownership apparently = Kryptonite for a team.   

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.