Sabrespace family squabbles and scandals

Ghost of Dwight Drane

I'm not surprised. I think it really boils down to HOW it is said, not WHAT was said.

Therein lies the rub.

We all love a conspiracy theory, some more than others. I would be incredibly interested if there was truth/proof to his claims. 

But.. in my life. I don't have time. :)

Some might wonder if SDS could be sued for what Ghost wrote. It appears under the Communications Decency Act that forum owners are given very broad protection. www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/immunity-online-publishers-under-communications-decency-act

SDS is surely more up to speed on these issues than I am and will correct me if I'm wrong. For now, to me, it supports the idea that SDS, probably against popular opinion, just didn't want Ghost's content on the board anymore. I'm not too down on SDS. I think we all have very long leashes here. I know I've enjoyed a long one when it comes to being an agitator, contrarian, rabid anti-Pegula-ite and what have you. The one time I was suspended it was for cursing out SDS when I was put off by the tone of his participation here. I deserved it — and regret it, because I found out later he was going through a difficult period with a family situation (as was I), which probably explained the general grumpiness of both of us.

Still, this is two major posters who've been sent to Maryland's Old Sparky. It's something to watch.

Some might wonder if SDS could be sued for what Ghost wrote. It appears under the Communications Decency Act that forum owners are given very broad protection. www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/immunity-online-publishers-under-communications-decency-act

SDS is surely more up to speed on these issues than I am and will correct me if I'm wrong. For now, to me, it supports the idea that SDS, probably against popular opinion, just didn't want Ghost's content on the board anymore. I'm not too down on SDS. I think we all have very long leashes here. I know I've enjoyed a long one when it comes to being an agitator, contrarian, rabid anti-Pegula-ite and what have you. The one time I was suspended it was for cursing out SDS when I was put off by the tone of his participation here. I deserved it — and regret it, because I found out later he was going through a difficult period with a family situation (as was I), which probably explained the general grumpiness of both of us.

Still, this is two major posters who've been sent to Maryland's Old Sparky. It's something to watch.

I don't usually start a fight, but early on on tbd political thread I was attacked and responded with nuclear vitriol, was suspended for three days, being new to the board. Still don't back down, just don't use quite the level of counter attack i once did. Helps that I dont join political discussions that I did when I worked in DC.

PS play hockey the same way, dont high stick me or mess with my goaltender - and I won't mess with you.

That being said there are different ways to make the same point without being too personal.

Edited by North Buffalo

I don't usually start a fight, but early on on tbd political thread I was attacked and responded with nuclear vitriol, was suspended for three days, being new to the board. Still don't back down, just don't use quite the level of counter attack i once did. Helps that I dont join political discussions that I did when I worked in DC.

PS play hockey the same way, dont high stick me or mess with my goaltender - and I won't mess with you.

You were new to the board and started posting early in the politics thread?  Huh, you learn something new every day.  I thought you've been around here much longer than that thread.

Not sure that the straw (post, whatever) that broke the proverbial camel's back would have been expected to be the one to complete that task, but if it was keeping (very) solid posters away; I get the reasoning.

It's too bad. I liked Dwight's theories (at least the ones directly related to hockey). Rarely agreed w/ them, but they helped me look at things in a different light. The board (not just this board, any group) needs contrarians that have thought out their positions. Contrarians w/ nothing to back their position don't move the discussion forward; Dwight often kept the discussion moving.

I'll miss him, but I support SDS. It's his sandbox and he's good enough to let us play here. Don't know the behind the scenes that he's had to deal w/ & honestly don't want to know. Scott - thanks for running this place. :beer:

Dwight - good luck to you. Stay well. :beer:

Just my 2 cents.

You were new to the board and started posting early in the politics thread? Huh, you learn something new every day. I thought you've been around here much longer than that thread.

New on TBD under moniker YellowLinesandArmadillos. Around 2006, Havent logged in there in a while.

Edited by North Buffalo

I am late to the party here, but I have to say I am surprised the GoDD banning did not happen sooner ... not because I feel he deserved it before or anything, just because I know how these things generally work from my previous job. It is a HUGE credit to the members of this board and especially SDS the way disagreements are dealt with and the way this community lives on.

Think about this ... I started posting in the fall of 2005 and was pretty consistent for maybe 3-4 years ... then sporadic for a few more ... and since 2011 I have posted literally a handful of times. And yet: Just on the last two pages of this thread there are 12-15 posters I would say I KNOW. Or at least I KNEW. I have a feel for their personalities, in some cases I remember their specific opinions on certain topics ... that's INSANE. Two or three, sure ... but 12-15? That's a LOT, in my opinion. I have been gone for YEARS basically, and all you guys are still here. I drop in once a year and in some ways it's like I never left. And it's not because everyone agrees, it's because on some level there is respect for each other even if we (see, I still feel like I can say "we") think someone is full of it. We call them on it and argue, but it's generally healthy. 

It's just very rare. In my experience, many forums with so many long-standing posters eventually seem to have one voice ... either over-the-top homers, or the polar opposite, and people stay around because it is comfortable and it feels good to post something and have people agree with you. That's no sure thing here ... yet we keep coming back. I wish I could come back more ... here's to trying.

I have written a dozen posts today, 100/1000s of words and have deleted them all. My better judgment says to just stay out, but just a couple words if I can actually manage to complete this one.

I saw no end to these types of posts:

It's like picking a spouse.

If she's hot, odds are she can't cook and is somewhat demanding. If you are going to marry a 185lb Buffalo girl, it's all good if she's funny, can cook, and give a good bj.

O'Reilly is the good fattie. Ristolainen is sort of hot, but always needs to consult his mom on every decision and talks with a vocal fry.

"Awww....baby....you know I did it all for you honey? I mean....you had the surgery, and had to go through all those treatments. ...a woman has needs you know.

Gary next door is such a nice guy. I only did it to save our marriage. He was tender. It felt so natural.....ummmmm.....Gary.....umhh....that's it right there......yes.....thank you for doing this....oh...oh.....my husband should be normal in a year or two......ohhh...oh god.....yes.....ummmm Gary...please....right there....don't stop....oh...Gary....yes..please...yes....oh.....oh.....mmmmmmmmmm"

So you see baby.....I did it all for you!

Chz: 69

Is there any respect shown for anyone with these posts? Any consideration? Chz is an adult now. By my calculation a very late 20's adult. She could be married and ready for a family or maybe is crushing a new career. Does she deserve this? Is this justifiable in the name of healthy cringiness and thought-provoking contrary analysis? All I see is disrespect and ZFG.

I didn't even mention the post where he worked in child molestation (just to tweak the mods because all volunteers deserve to be constantly tweaked and pecked at), the pictures in his profile nor the rehashing of yesteryear's battles that chase universally loved and respected posters away. The Sabres are writing a new chapter in their history. The community has evolved, but sometimes the evolution doesn't reach everyone.

I truly want better for our community. Or maybe I just want to visit a place where I don't have to tense up every time I open a thread. Maybe having both isn't unreasonable...

It's just very rare. 

Thanks for the perspective, Pipes. And for the recent visits.

I have written a dozen posts today, 100/1000s of words and have deleted them all. My better judgment says to just stay out, but just a couple words if I can actually manage to complete this one.

I truly want better for our community. Or maybe I just want to visit a place where I don't have to tense up every time I open a thread. Maybe having both isn't unreasonable...

I should think that the overwhelming majority of regulars here respect and understand your decision, SDS.

We may, to varying degrees, regret that it came to this. But, again: Respect and understand what you felt you had to do in order to move your online community forward.

I'll admit to getting nervous every time I saw his icon in conjunction with a reply to something I said. His often sexist comments disgusted me, but I normally held my tongue for fear of a "shut up you millenial feminist" sort of diatribe. I stayed out of a lot of conversations when I saw him jump in. I have a thin skin, but still.

There were other times I actively sought out speaking to him. It's a shame. Onward and upward. 

The entendre and stuff directed at Chz in and of themselves would have warranted time off, for sure.  Those comments were definitely out of line.

I guess I saw this as "we'll get rid of poster A because I'd rather have poster B", and I wasn't comfortable with that line.  SDS, your last post puts me past that.  Open and frequent personal disrespect is a legit reason to lock someone out.  

I'm posting just in case GoDD is reading as a civilian. Some of you wrote so well, I'll unashamedly borrow your language.

GoDD, I wish you well. I looked for your posts. Colorful insight is the best kind. You stirred the pot, and unsettled pots are the best kind. Make me think and I'm yours forever. I use the phrase "piece of work" often. When I do, it's a term of endearment, recognition, and envy. My grandmother used it differently. You are my kind of piece of work. Further, you are recklessly courageous. So was Charles Lindbergh. We need Lindbergs. However, I'm reminded of my office, today, as it compares to my office in 1983. There are jokes and giggles we shared then that we no longer share. That's a good thing. This place is too intimate for any internet veil to obscure that intimacy and its corresponding responsibility.

I also believe SDS and his team did what had to be done. I can feel their reluctance. There is always a larger picture and those responsible to see it. I understand. I'm grateful. Who mentioned eight lives, above? Dead on. There's no place like SabreSpace.

Someone else referred to the effort behind his posting and likened him to a talk radio host. Wonderful analysis. I didn't have those words, but I do now; oh, and death by cop and challenging icons. These resonated with me, as well.

It must've been difficult to be GoDD without occasionally being GoDD. Everything in moderation.

Regarding "he who left". I'll be happier when he's "he who returned".

I saw no end to these types of posts:

Is there any respect shown for anyone with these posts? Any consideration? Chz is an adult now. By my calculation a very late 20's adult. She could be married and ready for a family or maybe is crushing a new career. Does she deserve this? Is this justifiable in the name of healthy cringiness and thought-provoking contrary analysis? All I see is disrespect and ZFG.

I didn't even mention the post where he worked in child molestation (just to tweak the mods because all volunteers deserve to be constantly tweaked and pecked at), the pictures in his profile nor the rehashing of yesteryear's battles that chase universally loved and respected posters away. The Sabres are writing a new chapter in their history. The community has evolved, but sometimes the evolution doesn't reach everyone.

Good post, although, let's not pretend that chz herself hasn't taken part in some cringe-worthy double entendre stuff that would make a trucker blush.

New on TBD under moniker YellowLinesandArmadillos. Around 2006, Havent logged in there in a while.

The PPP forum at TBD is a cesspool of group think. There have been a couple thread subjects that I jumped into, but the level of discourse is so ridiculous it gets in the way of productive give and take. My latest venture over there was not letting them rewrite the secession of the Southern states and Civil War history. 

The PPP forum at TBD is a cesspool of group think. There have been a couple thread subjects that I jumped into, but the level of discourse is so ridiculous it gets in the way of productive give and take. My latest venture over there was not letting them rewrite the secession of the Southern states and Civil War history.

uh huh lol... my poke the bear response to that one is that i am from New York, we kicked your bass once we can do it again and to Texans who actually think they were part of the old south, can you say Santa Anna, we can always give you back ....

Thanks for the discussion and your support everyone. If I don't have your support, then thanks for understanding, if I don't have your understanding - well then go Sabres!

I'll close this thread with the greatest decision/rebirth song ever written...