Sabrespace family squabbles and scandals

Ghost of Dwight Drane

I was really interested. But I don't think it needed to be kept to the smoky back rooms of SabreSpace. The board deserved an explanation and got it. Mission accomplished. BTW, X.'s new nickname is Yoko.

Scott prefers this type of thing be left in the smokey back rooms, which is his prerogative since he runs the show.

It does kind of clutter things up somewhat, which is not a shot at you.

Well, I have it on good source that X did not come back as our newest member.

link to his send off?

Go to PA's thread about GoDD's banning and in the post that SDS locks it with there is a link to X's profile.  Click that link and look at X's content and select only posts.  The most recent post by X was his send off, although it seems that he wants to come back at some point.

X's but figured it out, still not sure I understand

fully his send and Ghost's relationship to it, that being said i dont think it takes a whole lotta of guessing to figure the gist if ghost was involved.... hmmm

Edited by North Buffalo

Scott prefers this type of thing be left in the smokey back rooms, which is his prerogative since he runs the show.

It does kind of clutter things up somewhat, which is not a shot at you.

Well, I have it on good source that X did not come back as our newest member.

I am very cognizant that there isn't one correct way to run a message board. Ask 1000 people what to do and you get 1000 different answers. My way is no better than anyone else's way. However, you can't implement 1000 different methods. You can only implement one, so public discussions just make people angry because it isn't they way they would have handled the situation at hand. (A primary reason being that in a situation like this most people have partial information and no two people have the same partial information. No one is privy to everything that has transpired both public and private over so many years, so their opinion is not fully informed.). I therefore rarely discuss this stuff in public. There's no point.

Second, having a one-sided conversation is also not fair to everyone involved. It's not fair that I am free to say what I want without rebuttal. I choose to respect that asymmetry.

Given that, there isn't much to know. This wasn't a single event, so there really isn't much to say. This was a 1000 ft view decision, not a heat of the moment one. X checking out was just a public example of what I was feeling myself. Please don't take that as a sole event. It was just one of many under consideration and it happened to just be a very recent, but very symbolic example.

So, there's nothing really more to see. As I explained to him, it just isn't a good fit anymore, for what I want this place to be, which is a shame since he did possess a lot of Sabres/hockey knowledge.

So, no egregious recent post, rather a prolonged history of provocative posting, leading to discontent expressed by other members and shared by SDS, leading to the owner deciding, after reflection, this is a better place with him gone?

Someone please correct me if I've missed something.

I really hoped GoDD was going to get over his fixation and remain. This forum has changed a lot over the years. It looks like we're moving on without him. I fear mediocre hockey is partially to blame.

Well I hope it's not mediocre posting.

GoDD was wrong to carry on his Penn State crusade after it was made abundantly clear pretty much everyone thought he had crossed the line. And his metaphors could flash from :w00t:  to :sick:  in heartbeat.

But as a poster, love him or lump him, he was a star: articulate, contrary, entertaining, abrasive, informed, provocative — every one of you has paused at some point and said "I wonder what he is going to post next?"

And ultimately, this is a place of leisure; we are here because we want to be entertained.

X. — who, if he is not the most respected poster on this board, should be — called him a narcissist.  I see why, but my take was more that Drane enjoyed and appreciated his audience here and he worked like a talk radio host to drive the conversation. He wasn't just sharing whatever popped into his mind, he put a lot of time into both the thought and the delivery. And whether it was the tank, the suspension, or things going on his personal life, I got the sense he felt he wasn't connecting anymore. And he started to force it.

I have no judgment on the ban; I see why it was a consideration and, as SDS says, I will never know the whole story. But I will miss his voice. Just like I miss X's.

Edited by dudacek

Dudacek has it.

I have genuine affection for GoDD.

But his insistence on living in the periphery of good taste and on the edge of defamation was a source of true consternation.

Godspeed, Ghost.

I trust we'll hear from X someday.

Well I hope it's not mediocre posting.

GoDD was wrong to carry on his Penn State crusade after it was made abundantly clear pretty much everyone thought he had crossed the line. And his metaphors could flash from :w00t:  to :sick:  in heartbeat.

But as a poster, love him or lump him, he was a star: articulate, contrary, entertaining, abrasive, informed, provocative — every one of you has paused at some point and said "I wonder what he is going to post next?"

And ultimately, this is a place of leisure; we are here because we want to be entertained.

X. — who, if he is not the most respected poster on this board, should be — called him a narcissist.  I see why, but my take was more that Drane enjoyed and appreciated his audience here and he worked like a talk radio host to drive the conversation. He wasn't just sharing whatever popped into his mind, he put a lot of time into both the thought and the delivery. And whether it was the tank, the suspension, or things going on his personal life, I got the sense he felt he wasn't connecting anymore. And he started to force it.

I have no judgment on the ban; I see why it was a consideration and, as SDS says, I will never know the whole story. But I will miss his voice. Just like I miss X's.

Well said, gentlemen.  Thanks.

And I echo the wishes of Godspeed for Dwight.  I hope he finds happiness.

This thread should be closed. SDS said his peace. The ban makes sense.

But I see no reason for us to sift through the files and mind of GoDD. He was his own man and doesn't deserve to be held up while we beat on him. I'm sure he's a fine person. Let's move on knowing that we shouldn't continually ignore SDS' requests in the future or we will get banned. Lesson learned.

I agree with what you're saying, we've.

For my part, I will miss his voice and role here. I thought he had an especially keen eye for what GM TM was trying to do.

But the other stuff he kept bringing to the table doomed his ability to participate here. I regret that.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I disagree (see what I did there?). Maybe PA had the audacity to question the icons of the Sabres at a level Dwight did.  That is about it.

No one questions them at his level, which is a big part of why he's no longer posting here.  Honestly, I'm amazed it took this long.  He must have been on the 8 strike program, getting suspended for the same exact thing over and over.  People like to complain about the moderation here, but if anything, this is an example of how much room they are willing to give you.

I disagree (see what I did there?). Maybe PA had the audacity to question the icons of the Sabres at a level Dwight did.  That is about it.

Questioning is one thing and heck I have no problems doing so here or elsewhere, Ghost's problem is he was to often grotesquely insulting while doing so, often dilluting his many good and insightful points. He enjoyed poking the the bear to often with a red hot poker. The old adage in a potential accident with a semi, who cares who is right when your dead.

I have to remind myself that some birds aren't meant to be caged. Their feathers are just too bright. And when they fly away, the part of you that knows it was a sin to lock them up DOES rejoice. But still, the place you live in is that much more drab and empty that they're gone. I guess I just miss my friend.

My question is will he be reinstated if it turns out that there is some truth to what he was talking about?

Questioning is one thing and heck I have no problems doing so here or elsewhere, Ghost's problem is he was to often grotesquely insulting while doing so, often diluting his many good and insightful points.

I think this is right.

One of his last posts was maybe a microcosm of what made him so valuable and so maddening -- he led with great analysis on the progress and arc of GM TM's roster-construction, and then needlessly veered into a metaphor about how picking these players is not unlike "picking" a spouse -- seemingly suggesting that women are so much livestock (especially the fat ones who are orally inclined). I joked about it a bit with pA, but, in truth, I really didn't like that. At all.

Was that his offense?  Making us cringe?

Yeah, he got plenty of warnings.  Whoever described it as suicide by cop probably had it right.  I'm not blaming SDS.  It's his sandbox after all.  But I am convinced that it is healthy for us to be made to cringe occassionally. Especially when it makes us contemplate along with it.