GDT: Buffalo @ Tampa, 7:30 pm EST, NBCSN, 11/10/2015

WildCard

And Ocho ends up with some spectacular looking saves, mostly because he's slow to arrive for the play once he's not square. He ends up with more teetering highlight saves in a single start than you'll see from a Lundquist in a season. That said, he's giving the team a chance to win, and he's been smart holding the puck because he's not a great handler. Good to see him get the win.

I think he twice shot it around the boards and had to rush to get back in the net because the Tampa defenseman intercepted it. Bad puck handler. That Linbeck was very good at handling the puck

I even saw that in a preseason game I went to. ROR, Kaner, Ennis specifically all talking before every draw. I like it.

Since I haven't said it in this thread yet, Jesus Christ Eichel.

And I think we're good.

I saw Jackyl earlier in the thread, I might switch my allegiance from Jacker to that.

Can we start calling the goal light a Jack-o-lantern yet?

Your Buffalo Sabres will roll into sunny Florida this Tuesday night to take on the EC Champion Tampa Bay Lightning. The Sabres will look to continue their winning ways, going 3-1 and 4-2 recently. The team should be locked, stocked, and ready to go as they ride the high of a thrilling 3-2 win in which Rasmus scored in the final 16.8  to knock of a familiar face in Ryan Miller and Linus Ullmark made his presence known to the league, stopping 35/37 Vancouver shots, many of which were of very high quality. The youngsters are doing their part for Buffalo, as Eichel got his first 2 assists, Pysks made a b-e-a-utiful feed for the McGinn goal, and McCabe has seen his minutes climb from 13 minutes/game to 20 minute/game over the last few contests. 

The Lightning meanwhile, look to continue pulling themselves out of an early season funk. Coming off of another loss in which the offense was, again, lost, the Lightning look to forget their 1-0 loss to the Wild on Saturday and think back to their 3-0 record vs the Sabres instead. Tampa Bay has serious offensive issues right now, getting shutout 3/8 and held to 1 goal or less in 6/8 recently. 

If the Sabres are going to push for the playoffs, we have to beat teams when they're down. Especially playoff contending teams like Tampa. Beating the Lightning in Tampa, after a huge Saturday win, could be a launching point for this team. Shake off the demons from the 3 Tampa games earlier, and get a nice winning streak going into a pivotal match-up against the Panthers on Thursday night. This game should be intense.

Look for Johnson to start, and possibly Vasilevskiy based on his last performance in Buffalo. Palat is injured (out 5-8 weeks, credit to 3Putt), and Colaiacovo is optimistic to return and replace Weber. Sabres look to juggle the lines again and get Ennis back into the grove. The 2nd and 3rd line look dangerous, and Moulson gets his opportunity again to play big minutes with O'Reilly. 

Game Preview

Stats:

Advanced Stats: Game 1

Advanced Stats: Game 2

Advanced Stats: Game 3

Team Comparison Graphs (CF% vs Scoring Chances)(Or any axis you want really) Sabres killing it in this one

Monday's Practice Report

Forwards: 

26 Matt Moulson – 90 Ryan O'Reilly – 12 Brian Gionta

88 Jamie McGinn – 15 Jack Eichel – 63 Tyler Ennis

22 Johan Larsson – 28 Zemgus Girgensons – 23 Sam Reinhart

44 Nicolas Deslauriers – 17 David Legwand – 82 Marcus Foligno

Defense:

Josh Gorges – 55 Rasmus Ristolainen

29 Jake McCabe – 46 Cody Franson

25 Carlo Colaiacovo– 3 Mark Pysyk

6 - Mike Weber

35 Linus Ullmark

31 Chad Johnson

Ullmark_1446937143381_26431766_ver1.0_64

Wow, wish i wouldve read this last nightt.

Great post!

3 assists indeed. 2 primaries

But strangely, all have been passes back to the D. McGinn tipped in the shot from Pysyk, but that's the only time a forward has been involved - yet.

It's bringing back memories of Tucker playing on Gilbert's wing. Great play by Bert and Tucker's so mesmerized by what it took to get him the puck, he misses the tap-in. Hopefully, it's pretty soon these wingers get used to Jack's 'usual day at the office' and start burying the killer feeds he gives 'em.

Well, I'd like to be celebrating this win but I'm currently sitting with Josie at Highland Hospital in Rochester because she broke her right ankle 15 seconds into her hockey game tonight. Spiral fracture. Season ending.

She's fine. She's tough. I'm sure she'll update you guys at some point here.

Brutal. Wishing her a speedy recovery.

Well, I'd like to be celebrating this win but I'm currently sitting with Josie at Highland Hospital in Rochester because she broke her right ankle 15 seconds into her hockey game tonight. Spiral fracture. Season ending.

Ugh. Sorry about the speed bump, young lady.

But strangely, all have been passes back to the D. McGinn tipped in the shot from Pysyk, but that's the only time a forward has been involved - yet.

Just prior to Jack's goal yesterday they almost scored for the forward line based on Jack's setup.  It was in tight and they couldn't execute so they kicked the puck back to Franson who passed it to Jack for the Ovi one-timer.

Just prior to Jack's goal yesterday they almost scored for the forward line based on Jack's setup.  It was in tight and they couldn't execute so they kicked the puck back to Franson who passed it to Jack for the Ovi one-timer.

Yep. That makes about 10 almosts.

Once they stop gawkin', they'll start burying 'em. :lol:

Ouch.

Did you miss the news? Rick is not retiring after this season. I wouldn't blame Dan for being ticked. I am adding 1 and 1 and getting 3,289 but Hoss' claim that someone on the broadast team was ready to go to Rick about his Yeichel call made me think there's some dissension in the ranks, although I didn't immediately think it would be Dan doing that, but Duffer.

I know I have a good imagination. I could swear Dunleavy looked ticked off the last time I saw him on the air, and he didn't sound, well, like Dan when he did a game recently with Peters. No chemistry ah-tall.

All that said, maybe Dan has the flu. But without some explanation from the Sabres as to why the heir apparent didn't do a big road game, I have to wonder what's really going on behind the scenes. I know this. Duffer is not the answer if Dan isn't. NIce guy and a really good broadcaster, but play by play will eat you up, and it had a feast last night.

Maybe Dan just isn't that good and he hasn't improved enough. Personally, I thnk he's pretty bad.

First off sorry about Josie, that's a tough beat.  The Sabres had me jumping at certain points.  The 6 on 5 at the end had me standing up screaming at the TV.   Risto finishing it off was pretty much how I've felt all season.  Hands up and stoked.  O'Reilly needs to get back to playing with Ennis or someone who can match his skill.  I'm sorry Gionta, but you're a third line or lower player now IMO.  As the season has gone on from puck drop to whistle Eichel has only gotten better.   I won't compare him to #66 so early on but he looks a lot like Vinny meets Yzerman early in his career.  I tried to think about it a bit more, because his speed is so thundering, but this was a close combo of size, skill, humility and skating.  As usual I am late to the party.  

Edited by TheCerebral1

But we don't know how much of Nolan's lack of system was Nolan and how much was Tank.

Nolan was hired for the tank for his lack of a system. He had the same system with Latvia and other coaching destinations.

Take a look at Toronto. They at clearly in full rebuild, and yet are playing respectfully despite their record. Why? Because of Babcock

Edited by WildCard

But we don't know how much of Nolan's lack of system was Nolan and how much was Tank.

Based on his previous stint with us in the 90s and his time with the Isles, I say it was 90%  Nolan's lack of system, 10% tank. He's just never been an X and O kind of coach from what I can gather. 

GO SABRES!!!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.