GDT: Buffalo @ Tampa, 7:30 pm EST, NBCSN, 11/10/2015

WildCard

Jack is really backing teams off with his skating. Although Franny the Sloth made a great shot, Jack created the time and froze the d.

Bert could do that.

I can't remember any Sabre scoring from below his own goal line. Risto's goal might be the longest goal in team history. I know Harry Neale would have tagged it in feet.

And Ocho ends up with some spectacular looking saves, mostly because he's slow to arrive for the play once he's not square. He ends up with more teetering highlight saves in a single start than you'll see from a Lundquist in a season. That said, he's giving the team a chance to win, and he's been smart holding the puck because he's not a great handler. Good to see him get the win.

I attended last night. What a joy to see this team "live" for the first time.

Your post captured two of my biggest take aways. Eichel creates space. His feet are fast and his vision is slow. We all knew the skill. It's a joy to watch the poise.

Ocho looking spectacular feels different. My mind says "he's struggling and flailing" instead of "what acrobatic genius". He held a puck while Buffalo was on a power play. The shot had come from a distance and Tampa had a lone fore checker, covered, coming in from RW. My mind said "noooo" before changing to "good idea".

PS ... I am thinking of telling the NHL that Stamkos sets up in the circle for one timers on the power play just, you know, so the league can stop him. I watched Vinny do it, from the right side and lower, for years.

Edited by N'eo

Did you miss the news? Rick is not retiring after this season. I wouldn't blame Dan for being ticked. I am adding 1 and 1 and getting 3,289 but Hoss' claim that someone on the broadast team was ready to go to Rick about his Yeichel call made me think there's some dissension in the ranks, although I didn't immediately think it would be Dan doing that, but Duffer.

I know I have a good imagination. I could swear Dunleavy looked ticked off the last time I saw him on the air, and he didn't sound, well, like Dan when he did a game recently with Peters. No chemistry ah-tall.

All that said, maybe Dan has the flu. But without some explanation from the Sabres as to why the heir apparent didn't do a big road game, I have to wonder what's really going on behind the scenes. I know this. Duffer is not the answer if Dan isn't. NIce guy and a really good broadcaster, but play by play will eat you up, and it had a feast last night.

Isn't it because it was radio only? I thought Dan works for MSG, not WGR.

Edit: just saw he works for both.

Edited by SwampD

Well, I'd like to be celebrating this win but I'm currently sitting with Josie at Highland Hospital in Rochester because she broke her right ankle 15 seconds into her hockey game tonight. Spiral fracture. Season ending.

She's fine. She's tough. I'm sure she'll update you guys at some point here.

Get well Josie and take good care of her. We will be watching :flirt: .  Seriusly, get well soon.

Do you think he's worth that? I'm honestly asking, I don't know if he is

Others keep mentioning the playoffs. I say, ###### it, we deserve to have some damn fun. Take a look at those Wild Card standings. We're 3 points out of the WC and Division, and the teams behind us look real, real bad. Tampa will get out of the funk, but NJ, Detroit, Boston, Florida? These are teams we can very realistically compete with. Keep in mind, we don't even have our full team yet. Having Bogosian back will make a world of difference, and Kane back means one Moulson or Gionta can return to realistic roles.

And, just because I hate Edmonton, they are once again DFL in the West and tied 2nd last in the NHL, with the Laughs.

EDM, where hockey dies.

My thoughts from the Game...

Jack Eichel is a BEAST - He doesn't look 6'2" until you see him up close

I kept Yelling at the Tampa fans that 'My Johnson's bigger than your Johnson'

Right from the start they were the harder working team.

I don't remember much else  :beer:

Do you think he's worth that? I'm honestly asking, I don't know if he is

Others keep mentioning the playoffs. I say, ###### it, we deserve to have some damn fun. Take a look at those Wild Card standings. We're 3 points out of the WC and Division, and the teams behind us look real, real bad. Tampa will get out of the funk, but NJ, Detroit, Boston, Florida? These are teams we can very realistically compete with. Keep in mind, we don't even have our full team yet. Having Bogosian back will make a world of difference, and Kane back means one Moulson or Gionta can return to realistic roles. 

And, just because I hate Edmonton, they are once again DFL in the West and tied 2nd last in the NHL, with the Laughs. 

Since you mentioned our injuries, one thing about Florida currently is that they have had some injuries as well. Barkov has been out the last 8 games and he is technically their #1 center.  I really feel like Florida is a team we are bound to trade with. We have so many C/LW and they have so much Def.

That said, Boston has started their slow decline and it makes me feel warm and fuzzy.  Detroit will have to pray Larkin is as good as advertised. NJ needed a new GM so I will see what happens there but they lack some things. Buffalo on the other hand is on the rise and only getting better as this season progresses. Wait until Christmas and this team again will be different than it was a month ago when the season started.

Great win tonight.  Jack Eichel is started to find that other level and the games speed is starting to slow for him.  If teams start using shutdown lines on Jack then they aren't using them on ROR.  Depth is a great thing.

The NBCSN analyst said last night he expects Eichel to start getting attention from other teams' shutdown lines. Sign me up! Rooooooarrrrrrr.

That is the thing what is lovely about this team, Its will create  room for our other two lines.  O'reilly will be racking up points soon again if they do.

And I'm starting to wonder who will be able to stop Eichel , he haunted a stanley cup Finalist last night.

Well, I'd like to be celebrating this win but I'm currently sitting with Josie at Highland Hospital in Rochester because she broke her right ankle 15 seconds into her hockey game tonight. Spiral fracture. Season ending.

She's fine. She's tough. I'm sure she'll update you guys at some point here.

LBI, that really sucks. At least the Sabres won so you guys could still enjoy that. Get better. 

Its amazing how things slow down and opposing players kind of back off when Eich has the puck. Its like a force field surrounds him where as he moves it pushes them away. The speed thing is matrix like. This kid is already getting respect from opposing players that most players earn over a career. We are in for a great ride watching this kid develop and learn to use that to his advantage.

Get well Josie.

Edited by bunomatic

My thoughts from the Game...

I kept Yelling at the Tampa fans that 'My Johnson's bigger than your Johnson'

Right from the start they were the harder working team.

I don't remember much else  :beer:

lol

I've noticed that lately, like when the team huddles up before a big faceoff or after a goal is scored, about the only guy noticeably bigger than him out there is Franson.  He looks like a little kid from Southy but he really isn't.

Anyone else see Jack calling out the play to everyone before a face-off last night? Really took charge out there. 

In general I've noticed a LOT more on-ice communication among the Sabres.  I noted it at least twice in this thread, once when Jack told Foligno (I think) to go ahead and complete a change when Marcus hesitated because he didn't know if he should stay on to defend.  Once was between McCabe and Pysyk, where one directed the other to pass up ice instead of across (which he did and hit one of the forwards right outside the TB blue line from inside the Buffalo zone).  I don't think there was this much situational awareness and communication last year, not by a long shot.

In general I've noticed a LOT more on-ice communication among the Sabres.  I noted it at least twice in this thread, once when Jack told Foligno (I think) to go ahead and complete a change when Marcus hesitated because he didn't know if he should stay on to defend.  Once was between McCabe and Pysyk, where one directed the other to pass up ice instead of across (which he did and hit one of the forwards right outside the TB blue line from inside the Buffalo zone).  I don't think there was this much situational awareness and communication last year, not by a long shot.

I even saw that in a preseason game I went to. ROR, Kaner, Ennis specifically all talking before every draw. I like it.

Since I haven't said it in this thread yet, Jesus Christ Eichel.

And I think we're good.

So fun to watch a Sabres team with a dominant beast like performance from a true superstar in the making.  Eichsie, Yeichel, Jacker..whatever..this kid is awesome.

I saw Jackyl earlier in the thread, I might switch my allegiance from Jacker to that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.