GDT: Buffalo @ Philadelphia, 7:00 pm edt, 10/27/2015

WildCard

Good win!

I really liked:

- ROR's game. What a great acquisition he was.

- Reinhart's game. His confidence and effect on the game is growing dramatically. And he has good chemistry with Yeichel as I believe Sizzle noted upthread.

- The fact that Johnson's mojo wasn't shattered by the Montreal debacle. He let in 1 softie but overall played pretty well.

- Some positive indications that Zemgus is finding his way back. He had a good 3rd period and buried the GWG decisively. I also liked Gionta's play tonight and thought that line was better tonight -- but Moulson not so much.

- The fact that the Sabres are highly competitive and entertaining again. Halle-freakin-lujah.

- Franson-McCabe as a reasonably effective 2nd pair. McCabe still has plenty of learning in front of him but he has a lot of game at both ends.

- Briere in the booth with RJ.

I see your coming around now :flirt:

How important is O'Reilly to Buffalo's possession game? 

O'Reilly won 16 draws, the rest of the Sabres 15.

Ocho Johnson is like watching a drunk fraternity brother walk the top of the factory wall. He'll probably make it across, but He's going to teeter and spill some beer while everyone holds their breath. 

Ennis goal was ridiculous. 

Good to see Zemgus score. Was anyone else sensing frustration kicking in?

That was a fun win. A go out and win, win. Just a fun win. Love the shot production. 

:lol: Well played good sir.

I don't like this 3-on-3 nonsense.

And I don't like the shootouts, either.

I think I'd rather they just revert back to the old system with ties.

I realize I'm in the very small minority.  No need to debate.  Just sharing thoughts.

Wow this is very surprising to me.  I won't debate you on it and agree that the novelty of the shootout has wore off.  But man, 3 on 3 hockey is just so exciting.  Breakaways at either end, no worrying about clutching and grabbing.  I'm borderline shocked anyone could be opposed to it.

I see your coming around now :flirt:

Well, I was more skeptical about Pysyk than about McCabe.  In both cases I've been reluctant to assume too much about this year, primarily because we hadn't seen enough from them previously.

Flying out and cutting out the knees of a forward racing for a loose puck.

...which was the right way to protect himself -- and what Miller should've done vs Lucic.

Separately:  regarding the Foligno kick-in -- does anyone know what the result would've been if he had kicked it in off of the Philly player?  i.e. if he kicked it and it hit the Flyer's skate and from there went into the net?  It looked like that might've been what happened -- but I didn't hear them discussing that possibility.

...which was the right way to protect himself -- and what Miller should've done vs Lucic.

But let's be honest here, each time Hasek did that, he wasn't playing the puck, he was playing the player.  Dirty?  Probably, but it was definitely both scary and entertaining at the same time.

But let's be honest here, each time Hasek did that, he wasn't playing the puck, he was playing the player.  Dirty?  Probably, but it was definitely both scary and entertaining at the same time.

It's a game of aggression.  Every forward was willing to bowl Hasek over.  Hasek needed to be willing to do the same to maintain the mental dominance he had over skaters.

For example, Radko Gudas' run at Eichel last night.  "You're not going to get the better of me, rook".

Well, I was more skeptical about Pysyk than about McCabe. In both cases I've been reluctant to assume too much about this year, primarily because we hadn't seen enough from them previously.

Separately: regarding the Foligno kick-in -- does anyone know what the result would've been if he had kicked it in off of the Philly player? i.e. if he kicked it and it hit the Flyer's skate and from there went into the net? It looked like that might've been what happened -- but I didn't hear them discussing that possibility.

Pretty sure that's a goal. IIRC I heard them mention that it, and it makes sense as he could have been kicking to pass/corral it af the deflection off another player, or a stik, caused it to go in

Well, I was more skeptical about Pysyk than about McCabe.  In both cases I've been reluctant to assume too much about this year, primarily because we hadn't seen enough from them previously.

Separately:  regarding the Foligno kick-in -- does anyone know what the result would've been if he had kicked it in off of the Philly player?  i.e. if he kicked it and it hit the Flyer's skate and from there went into the net?  It looked like that might've been what happened -- but I didn't hear them discussing that possibility.

It's not really clear.  Unlike the high-stick contact which directly mentions the contact with an opponent or official there is no such commentary on the kicking motion.  I have to think that if the puck would have entered the net through the kicking motion without the deflection or contact by the defending team they would still disallow the goal.  However, if the puck were kicked away from the goal and then the puck ricocheted back into the net it would probably stand.

Kind of a gray area as near as I can tell.

As far as I am concerned, the kicking motion issue is too vague.  A kicking motion should not be considered illegal.  I don't care how you get it in the net short of closing your hand on the puck and throwing it.  I would change it to be allowed on any deflection of the puck so long as it occurs below the cross bar.

It's a game of aggression.  Every forward was willing to bowl Hasek over.  Hasek needed to be willing to do the same to maintain the mental dominance he had over skaters.

For example, Radko Gudas' run at Eichel last night.  "You're not going to get the better of me, rook".

And that's one reason why most 18 year olds aren't ready for the show.

Guhle got scrambled, Eichel dodged that.

Samson learned the hard way when he had his jumbo coffee last year. Elbows were up, and he looked like a prison fish for much of those 9.

Oh. Ohhhhhhhhh. Said like Edith Bunker.

Really?

I wasn't being gross or icky, if that's what you meant. I just meant to allude to the old trope about how the struggling team goes on a western road trip, and before leaving talks about the value of being away from home, being away from distractions, etc.

Foligno made the kicking motion with his right foot, the puck bounced off the defender's left foot, into Foligno's left foot, and then went into the net.

I'm sure the pinball path the puck travelled was the cause for the review. My guess is, like a deflection off a leg or whatever where no other stick touches the puck before going in, the "shot" the causes the puck to eventually enter the net is what is scrutinized. So, since the "shot", in this case, was the kicking motion, they ruled it no goal. Which, I think, is fair.

Foligno made the kicking motion with his right foot, the puck bounced off the defender's left foot, into Foligno's left foot, and then went into the net.

I'm sure the pinball path the puck travelled was the cause for the review. My guess is, like a deflection off a leg or whatever where no other stick touches the puck before going in, the "shot" the causes the puck to eventually enter the net is what is scrutinized. So, since the "shot", in this case, was the kicking motion, they ruled it no goal. Which, I think, is fair.

I was wondering that. It was clear that the puck hit at least the d'mans skate, and still no goal.

Am I the only one who was pretty annoyed with Foligno's lack of backchecking on the second Flyers goal? Keep skating and take the guy in the slot, instead he just coasts in, and Schenn has an easy-tap-in.

You see that a lot. Sometimes I think it's an optical illusion where on TV it looks like they're a stride away but in reality the distance might be so great the backchecker knows he's not getting there and might let up. It's no excuse. There might be a rebound or something and he'd want to be down the ice as quickly as possible. Hockey's a very tough sport to analyze while watching on TV.

Pretty sure that's a goal. IIRC I heard them mention that it, and it makes sense as he could have been kicking to pass/corral it af the deflection off another player, or a stik, caused it to go in

It's still no goal.

As far as I am concerned, the kicking motion issue is too vague.  A kicking motion should not be considered illegal.  I don't care how you get it in the net short of closing your hand on the puck and throwing it.  I would change it to be allowed on any deflection of the puck so long as it occurs below the cross bar.

I can't wrap my head around wanting to allow kicked-in goals. It's not hockey anymore, and it's dangerous.

Edited by pASabreFan

I can't wrap my head around wanting to allow kicked-in goals. It's not hockey anymore, and it's dangerous.

I think it's still hockey, because kicking the puck is a tough skill to learn. But I agree that it should only be used to kick the puck to your stick, or a teammate. Don't want goalie to be an even more dangerous position.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.