GDT: Buffalo @ Philadelphia, 7:00 pm edt, 10/27/2015

WildCard

Reinhart's quick touch passes are freakin awesome.

The beauty of it all is that he can hide in the shadows behind ROR and Eichel. He's a pretty sweet player in his own right, but he's probably about 4th or 5th in terms of how much attention the other team gives him.

Also, the way he plays with Eichel and Larsson, it just has the feel of they've been doing this forever. I hope DD leaves them together and this chemistry grows.

Would nice if he was in Rochester working on his strength

:w00t:

McGinn is a real pain in the ass to play against, it seems.

In an interview right after the trade, ROR said Sabres fans would really like McGinn.  He is starting to grow on me, but that's mostly based on tonight's performance alone.

I've been pretty satisfied with Legwand's play. He seems to fill his role well. 

He doesn't suck.  He was a very high-energy player in his day; looks like he's adjusted his game as he's gotten older.

ROR worth every penny. Possession is so valuable. 

At this point, I'd rather rather see no other Sabre handling the puck under pressure. His hockey IQ phenomenal.... and mature.

Johnson=Hasek

That was an amazing save.  I almost think there's starting to be some chemistry between the rest of the team and the Big Johnson; they seem to inspire each other.

THE LATVIAN LOCOMOTIVE FIRES HER HOME!

It had the feel of inevitability.  Gus was trying his damnedest to score all night.  It was far more dramatic to get it in ooooooooovertiiiiiiime.  :)

THAT should be the goal song.  I mean with the gif playing on the big screen.

Johnson just played the game of his life.  :lol:

No wai.  That is totally sustainable.

Amazing save and goal. I'm shaking. Go Sabres.

That's been the missing ingredient in all the other games.  This game had..... MAJICK.

NOW I DO BELIEVE.

Lord Zemgus will be fine.

BANG!  :w00t:

This injury to Lehner may be a blessing in disguise.  Johnson has been (mostly) good as a fill in.  If Lehner eventually comes back strong, we could have a solid 1-2 punch.  If not, we may have the 2, and occasional 1 goalie, figured out.

Johnson couldn't save a beachball his last start and he let in the only good chance he saw in the first period of this game.  I think Johnson has looked shaky with puck control in many of his starts (he spits rebounds all over the place).  But, he did make some really nice stops in this game for sure.  Personally, I need to see him do it consistently.

When there's real chemistry, you can see it developing. We're seeing real chemistry develop between Eichel and Reinhart. I'm not sure who should be the third-wheel on their line, but I suspect that Bylsma will throw Kane in with them (assuming he keeps that pair together) when Kane returns.

I thought Larsson filled out the line very well.  They were pretty much in sync all night....all three of them.  I think that's the first time you could say that about any line this year; I hope DD keeps them (all three) together.

BTW - since I'm on low on Gorges lately, he was just waving at the puck on the Flyers' goal that tied it in regulation.

...and if Weber never plays for us again, I'd be okay with that.   ;)

Coco seems to have better wheels but he's none too smart sometimes.

Johnson couldn't save a beachball his last start and he let in the only good chance he saw in the first period of this game.  I think Johnson has looked shaky with puck control in many of his starts (he spits rebounds all over the place).  But, he did make some really nice stops in this game for sure.  Personally, I need to see him do it consistently.

I agree, but as a backup and occasional injury fill in, he may be able to do that job into the future if needed. 

It's official. Evander Kane was holding us back.

Are you going to get one of those goal lights ? 

I was watching the game, just couldn't post during it.

We all assume lehner is going to be good, but that's so unproven. When he comes back it may actually change nothing

It seems like Johnson is getting more comfortable with more playing time.  I think he'll always let in the occasional soft goal, but it starting to seem like the team plays for him and vice versa.

No, the Big Johnson is not the answer, but if the team can learn to win with a soft goalie, they'll be a lot better when the finally get a good one (if not Lehner, some other goalie stud).

In fact, at least until Lehner comes back, I'm changing my username to The Big Johnson.

I was watching the game, just couldn't post during it.

It seems like Johnson is getting more comfortable with more playing time.  I think he'll always let in the occasional soft goal, but it starting to seem like the team plays for him and vice versa.

No, the Big Johnson is not the answer, but if the team can learn to win with a soft goalie, they'll be a lot better when the finally get a good one (if not Lehner, some other goalie stud).

I'm hoping Johnson is the #2 answer.  It would be nice to have a solid backup/occasional starter while we look for our stud goalie.

Good win!

I really liked:

- ROR's game. What a great acquisition he was.

- Reinhart's game. His confidence and effect on the game is growing dramatically. And he has good chemistry with Yeichel as I believe Sizzle noted upthread.

- The fact that Johnson's mojo wasn't shattered by the Montreal debacle. He let in 1 softie but overall played pretty well.

- Some positive indications that Zemgus is finding his way back. He had a good 3rd period and buried the GWG decisively. I also liked Gionta's play tonight and thought that line was better tonight -- but Moulson not so much.

- The fact that the Sabres are highly competitive and entertaining again. Halle-freakin-lujah.

- Franson-McCabe as a reasonably effective 2nd pair. McCabe still has plenty of learning in front of him but he has a lot of game at both ends.

- Briere in the booth with RJ.

I've liked McGinn from the get-go. Big guy with some skill and able to keep up with the play for most part. Not a world-beater by any means, but a big body to match the oppositions big bodies and pot the puck once in a while. He's like their big, man-bear John Scott replacement.

It's official. Evander Kane was holding us back.

I said in my Xanax-inspired post in the Kane thread that his injury will force Bylsma to take a different approach to the lines. It seemed to work tonight. He'll have a better handle on how Kane fits in after Kane returns.

THE LATVIAN LOCOMOTIVE FIRES HER HOME!

This is an awesome nick-name

This is an even more awesome mash-up

Zemgus picked a nice time to get off the schneid. 

Indeed he did. Kept it nice and simple too, staight-5 hole shot. Hopefully this gets his confidence up again

Damn that save is even more impressive in GIF Form

That save is/was incredible. We couldn't believe it when we were watching it

Chad Johnson is a mediocre goalie but he seems like a good guy. Glad to see him pull off the win.
That save in OT will make most of us ignore his stats for another week or two.
I take it McCabe with Franson is considered a step up the depth chart for him? If so, he's earned it.
Jack's worst game as a pro. Even then, his quality shows. It is unbelievable to me he has yet to get an assist.
Larsson plays better when his coach shows confidence in him.
Most poorly refereed game of the season. The ###### they were letting go was unbelievable.
Our defensive zone play looked as bad as it has all year. Fortunately the O-zone effort was rewarded tonight.
Cody Franson makes me cringe, but his play on the point is as good as anything we've seen here since...?
Glad to see Zemgus break through, as others have said, he seems to be have the most trouble of anyone adjusting to the new system.

McGinn, Larsson and Gionta also broke their goose eggs tonight. Hopefully it means the tide is turning.

Edited by dudacek

How important is O'Reilly to Buffalo's possession game? 

O'Reilly won 16 draws, the rest of the Sabres 15.

Ocho Johnson is like watching a drunk fraternity brother walk the top of the factory wall. He'll probably make it across, but He's going to teeter and spill some beer while everyone holds their breath. 

Ennis goal was ridiculous. 

Good to see Zemgus score. Was anyone else sensing frustration kicking in?

That was a fun win. A go out and win, win. Just a fun win. Love the shot production. 

Life was such that I got to listen to the last ~8 of the 2nd, almost all of the third, and then watch the OT.

Been a while since I listened to a game. A pleasant experience -- took me back to being a kid and listening to RJ on my alarm clock radio while in bed.

Anyhoo. One thing That really grabbed me at some point in the third: ROR drives possession like a mofo. Yes, I know the eyeball confirms that, and that his #fancystats do too. But hearing the game call last night gave me a new appreciation for what that guy does. I think he's my favourite Sabre.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.