GDT: Buffalo @ Philadelphia, 7:00 pm edt, 10/27/2015

WildCard

Life was such that I got to listen to the last ~8 of the 2nd, almost all of the third, and then watch the OT.

Been a while since I listened to a game. A pleasant experience -- took me back to being a kid and listening to RJ on my alarm clock radio while in bed.

Anyhoo. One thing That really grabbed me at some point in the third: ROR drives possession like a mofo. Yes, I know the eyeball confirms that, and that his #fancystats do too. But hearing the game call last night gave me a new appreciation for what that guy does. I think he's my favourite Sabre.

RJ's great. The voice and cadence is still there. The capacity to climb the ladder and screech for a full minute when he's excited isn't. I'm okay with that, he's our RJ. 

RJ's great. The voice and cadence is still there. The capacity to climb the ladder and screech for a full minute when he's excited isn't. I'm okay with that, he's our RJ.

Like a well made, worn in easy chair. He can still call a beautiful game. It helps that the team is playing something worth calling.

I ended up driving up to Philly for the game. It was a lot of fun. The Fliers fan next to us kept muttering "They are 2-6, how are you losing?" and I really wanted to be like, "Our record doesn't really reflect our talent". It seems like they were finally able to finish.

It was devastating when they gave up the late goal in the 3rd, but it made the OT goal that much sweeter.

The place erupted, and all the energy came back and the Fliers seemed to feed on that to start OT.

Prior to that they were all deflated. Some guy near me kept trying to start cheers of "Wake up Fliers" for most of the game.

Nothing is better than hearing the Philly fans boo. And up by me there were booing a lot..

I didn't realize just how good that Johnson save was until watching the replays this morning.

Color me REALLY impressed at Girioux's ability to make Eichel's night difficult.  He was all over Jack.  I guess I never watched him close enough to notice his ability to shadow a top offensive talent.  Girioux owned Eichel for most of the night.

Johnson couldn't save a beachball his last start and he let in the only good chance he saw in the first period of this game.  I think Johnson has looked shaky with puck control in many of his starts (he spits rebounds all over the place).  But, he did make some really nice stops in this game for sure.  Personally, I need to see him do it consistently.

Agree. His puck handling is worse than Millers! The problem is we're using him as a number 1. I think he makes a better back up but obviously we need him as 1 right  now.

Chad Johnson is a mediocre goalie but he seems like a good guy. Glad to see him pull off the win.

That save in OT will make most of us ignore his stats for another week or two.

The thing I like about this kid and team for that matter is no matter if things are going well or not so well, he continues to battle

I take it McCabe with Franson is considered a step up the depth chart for him? If so, he's earned it.

The rook makes some rookie plays every game but he just seems to be in the right place at the right time so often that he makes up for it. He'll be a fixture on the blue line for quite awhile.

Jack's worst game as a pro. Even then, his quality shows. It is unbelievable to me he has yet to get an assist.

By far his worst game but he still showed some flashes. There was one play in the 1st period where he's on the right board and makes a 2 line pass to either Larsson or Reinhart, They enter the zone and before they fully gather, Eichel comes flying thru the middle, wide open but the puck handler never seen him. It was like watching a scene from the comic book Flash, it was an amazing run/skate,

Larsson plays better when his coach shows confidence in him.

No argument from me and this was his best game so far. Reinhart also played a solid game, in fact now that he's getting solid minutes every game, he's really starting to show why they have high hopes for him.

Cody Franson makes me cringe, but his play on the point is as good as anything we've seen here since...?

Skating forward he's fine but going in reverse he is definitely turtlish, I also am a bit schizo on Gorges, he makes several nice plays a game but he is a pushover in front of the net. It will be nice to get Bogosian back. Risto was also awesome last night.

Glad to see Zemgus break through, as others have said, he seems to be have the most trouble of anyone adjusting to the new system.

His best game of the year so far, he earned the double L nickname yesterday.

By the way, that was an awesome post IMO!!!

RJ's best game of the year. I'm not sure if he's getting healthier or what but he called a very good game yesterday. As much as an institution as he is, he's been shaky at times this year. The Briere ceremony was a very nice touch

Color me REALLY impressed at Girioux's ability to make Eichel's night difficult.  He was all over Jack.  I guess I never watched him close enough to notice his ability to shadow a top offensive talent.  Girioux owned Eichel for most of the night.

This.  Giroux is a very good all around player.

I'll  add that Jack can learn how to shut down a star and still be productive offensively by watching Giroux.

HOLY HANDPASS, BATMAN! I can't believe no one noticed it before! The Philly player threw the puck. He didn't shoot it. It wouldn't have counted!! See for yourself.

Nope there was another Philly player coming in from the left side that shot the puck.

Edited by SwampD

Just watched the highlight and you are correct. My bad.

I did, see two things that looked wrong, though, neither of which are going to be called in OT:  1) Gagner streaking through Johnson's crease without the puck and 2) Johnson dropping his stick to make the save.

I did, see two things that looked wrong, though, neither of which are going to be called in OT:  1) Gagner streaking through Johnson's crease without the puck and 2) Johnson dropping his stick to make the save.

Nothing wrong with dropping the stick to make a save.  Now, if he threw the stick out to block the puck, that would be illegal.  Hasek used to drop his stick all the time.  Nothing wrong with skating through the crease either, as long as he doesn't interfere with Johnson.  I don't think he touched him.

You can't drop your stick to make a save? I know they thought about making that rule when Hasek was around but I thought they never did.

Nothing wrong with dropping the stick to make a save.  Now, if he threw the stick out to block the puck, that would be illegal.  Hasek used to drop his stick all the time.  Nothing wrong with skating through the crease either, as long as he doesn't interfere with Johnson.  I don't think he touched him.

You can't drop your stick to make a save? I know they thought about making that rule when Hasek was around but I thought they never did.

And I thought they did make the rule because of him.  Let me look into this.

It looks like they did not make that rule change after all.  My bad.

And I thought they did make the rule because of him.  Let me look into this.

It looks like they did not make that rule change after all.  My bad.

I thought the rule they passed because of Hasek had to do with goalies' playing the puck beyond the center line. (Ha - a joke. Sort of?)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.