GDT: Buffalo @ Philadelphia, 7:00 pm edt, 10/27/2015

WildCard

Now Briere should have to move to Buffalo :)

Eichel had probably his worst game of the year thus far, although even so he had a couple chances at least.

Girgs finally and in fitting fashion.

Without Weber the D actually doesn't look hideous all game, they just need to work on their consistency.

Johnson lets in the weak goal yet makes a couple highlight reel saves later, with a W, who cares :)

Good game. Two major weak points being the soft goal on Johnson and Eichel's brain-farts during the second. Otherwise a relatively consistent game from start to finish.Hopefully Girgenson's goal will get the monkey off his back and he can start playing his game - I think he's been snake-bit up until today's OT.When there's real chemistry, you can see it developing. We're seeing real chemistry develop between Eichel and Reinhart. I'm not sure who should be the third-wheel on their line, but I suspect that Bylsma will throw Kane in with them (assuming he keeps that pair together) when Kane returns.I don't know WTH the league is trying to do, letting a lot of calls go. I wonder if there's some sort of dictum where lower-ranked teams are allowed to play sloppy because that's what they do, but I didn't like the boarding I saw from the Flyers sometime in the third that was let go.Glad to see Eichel caught the Flyer goon out of corner of his eye to avoid the hit. This was the kind of game I was waiting for where the opposition was clearly out to beat down Eichel. He seemed aware of that and pretty much avoided everything, but I'll be happy after this season when Eichel is a year older and wiser, and bigger and stronger and able to handle the riff-raff.

It seemed Eichel started having his 2nd period issues right after he avoided the one monster attempt to check him behind the net and then avoided another big hit on the same play near the top of the FO circle then promptly gave the puck away. He was lousy on his side of the redline w/ the puck the rest of that period; but he picked it back up in the 3rd.

One good thing about calling almost no penalties is the Sabres FINALLY went a game w/out giving up a goal on the PK. Hopefully they can keep that going in Pittsburgh.

Except for the sprawl on the 2nd Filly goal, was very pleased w/ McCabe's game. The 'yips' he was getting the previous 2 games went away.

Was really surprised Johnson gave up that 1st goal. Not because there wasn't an expectation that he'd give up a bad goal, there was that expectation coming in, but because THAT's not his normal bad goal play. His normal bad goal would come on the scrum where Colaiacovo pulled him out of the net & he began scrambling.

Overall, impressive win.

Edited by Taro T

I don't know WTH the league is trying to do, letting a lot of calls go. I wonder if there's some sort of dictum where lower-ranked teams are allowed to play sloppy because that's what they do, but I didn't like the boarding I saw from the Flyers sometime in the third that was let go.

Do you think it's league-orchestrated? I suspect the refs call their own games and it varies from one to the next. Gionta getting crosschecked after getting too close to Mason in the first, then the Flyers piling on -- could have been two minors on them -- was simply a case of a ref applying The Code. Sorry, Buff, you got what you deserved. That kind of crud is just endemic in the game.

As for the relaxation of interference enforcement circa 2007, I doubt the cultural core of the game ("Canada") has any problem with that whatsoever. Also, from the league's point of view, with billions in TV contracts rolling in and attendance very strong, what problem is there to solve?

I started watching midway through the second. I noticed Rick said, "Yeichel with a great chance." Was this the only "Yeichel" instance? I still can't believe he's sticking with that thing.

You know, it's happening just enough that I'm starting to worry that PA is right, and that RJ is short circuiting J Eichel.

I hope Bylsma leaves the lines alone for a game or two. These guys had some jam tonight. Also the Ennis goal was ridiculous, that guy just finds ways to score.

I thought D-lo did alright with Ennis and Ryan O'Who. So, yah, I agree, he should keep the lines stable for the week.

The 'gus - Moulson - Gionta line was good tonight.  I like that as the third line.  And, Deslauriers fit in just fine with Ennis and O'Reilly on the top line.

I liked all the lines tonight. Des has the hands to back up the physical play on that line and can protect Ennis and O'Reilly is just a good hockey player. I think the Z, Moulson, Gionta line has chemistry from last year seemed solid. Eichel needs a winger with hands to get on the ends of those passes, maybe that'll be Kane but I personally like them separated. 

D-pairings on the other hand, nope, nope, nope. We need Bogosian back and another solid guy to oust Weber and Franson. I can see Franson getting better but he needs to remove the lead weights from his skates, it amazes me how slow he looks out there. 

It's official. Evander Kane was holding us back.

We should toss his track suit in a snowbank.

Rasmus Ristolainen was good for the first time this season IMPO.  He seems to be finding his game a little bit. He really needs to click for this team to compete night in and night out.

Where the hell is everyone?

I was watching the game from my man cave.  I'm still working on it though and the computer isn't in there yet.  Soon.  Soon.

Eichel Larsson and Reinhart all have soft hands. Lot less passes bouncing off sticks.

I love this line.  They gelled in half a shift.  Finally, we've got chemistry here.

Johnson is looking very Ryan Milleresque.  Eichel looks amazing sometimes, but he looks so young in his own zone.

Okay, posting after the game, but yeah, that was a very Milleresque game. The first goal was a softy, then he turned in a good game. Just like Ryan.

And yes, Eichel needs to respect the other team when trying to clear the defensive zone. It was almost like he thought he could poke at the puck and take off, but Philly was having none of that.

Crafty, zemgus. Tried to bank it in off Mason.

It almost worked, too. Tonight was a night that Zemgus just had to score.

Edited by Robins Egg

I was watching the game from my man cave.  I'm still working on it though and the computer isn't in there yet.  Soon.  Soon.

I love this line.  They gelled in half a shift.  Finally, we've got chemistry here.

Are you going to get one of those goal lights ? 

Johnson made up for that early softie with that awesome OT save.

The Sabres are the better team, and for maybe about 38 minutes they showed that, but had a knack for slacking off a bit here and there.

We have a decent PP this year, possession really helps a ton, too bad our PK and general D looks awful once the other team has pressure, they seem to all collapse on the goalie and allow all kinds of high percentage shots and traffic (along with poor rebound control) is bad.

All in all if we can find the net 3 times a game (which seems like a lot to ask) We would be winning quite a lot, let's see if they can back it up with another good performance!!

If you watch the hit that the guy tries to separate Jack's hip from his body, that's why I want Kane on the ice with Jack. He was lucky to not at least get some type of injury or Charley horse from that one. And there was no one who stood up for him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.