Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

the team has been profitable when they had lemieux/jagr and crosby/malkin. Otherwise I believe they have been in position for bankruptcy multiple times in their history. They are going to get close to $700-800 mil because they have crosby and malkin right now who are profitable players (jerseys and other merchandise plus appearances and sponsors). The Sabres sold for much less cause they didnt have the big name marketable guys when sold and because the market is not looked at as a big profitable market. Sure they sell out with some of the lower to mid level priced tickets, but it's a blue collar area that isn't going to be able to spend huge for what they get cheap now.

Leafs and rangers could have no marketable talent and strip the team bare of nhl talent and prospects and they would still sell for an extremely high amount just because of the market

You said it your self, when they have marquee players they are profitable. They are on the verge of losing Malkin, if history repeats it self they are on the verge of a financial decline, another bankruptcy may be to harsh to assume. If some one does buy the Penguins and spends 800 million though, they are not Toronto and fans will not go to games with mediocre teams, bankruptcy very well could be in their future.

One last edit...

My take on Pittsburgh sports..

Football, live and die buy it for generations.

Baseball is the next favorite, always hoping for another run.

Hockey, a nice mix for the winter but the fans have other options and will not put up with a tank season(s) and hence the bankruptcy(s). I'm through that city monthly, when challenging for a deep run in the playoffs the Penguins are a hot topic. This year, they where tuned out before the playoffs even began with baseball talk on sports radio.

Edited by Woods-Racer

So you can come and go to all the events for that one price?

Yeah, everything included.  They also have a fan event across the street at the new Music City Center that runs all weekend.  I think that is $15 per person.  I can easily get tickets for that if anyone around here wants to attend.  Just message me.

WTF just happened? Lamoriello resigned from NJD presidency and is now the Leaves GM?!

Just when you think it's safe to worry about the Leafs being a smart organization, this happens.

Does this mean the Leafs will quickly get old and not be able to assemble a decent offense? Really though, I'm sure he won't actually have much to do and Shanny will still be running that team completely.

I don't understand why he'd leave one figurehead position for another (insert New Jersey joke here). You'd also think going from figurehead president to figurehead GM would involve a pay cut.

WTF just happened?  Lamoriello resigned from NJD presidency and is now the Leaves GM?!

Just when you think it's safe to worry about the Leafs being a smart organization, this happens.

I don't understand why he'd leave one figurehead position for another (insert New Jersey joke here). You'd also think going from figurehead president to figurehead GM would involve a pay cut.

Once March rolls around and he fires Babcock and becomes head coach (again) he'll be rolling in funny-colored Canadian cash.

Edited by MattPie

With Shanny, Babcock and now Lou, that's way to many cooks in the kitchen.

Don't forget the assistant GMs Dubas and Hunter were basically running the show from draft, to free agency, to trade talks.

Once March rolls around and he fires Babcock and becomes head coach (again) he'll be rolling in funny-colored Canadian cash.

I think I may have to start praying that Lou is around long enough to fire Babcock when the rebuild fails. High comedy. Edited by TrueBluePhD

And it's not like he has ties to that organization.  His entire legacy has been built in the US.  I thought I had heard some chatter in the last year or so of disagreements between him and the ownership, so maybe he really did just want out.

And it's not like he has ties to that organization. His entire legacy has been built in the US. I thought I had heard some chatter in the last year or so of disagreements between him and the ownership, so maybe he really did just want out.

That makes some sense. Doesn't appreciate being forced to step down as GM so looks for a way out.

Not happy with ownership in Jersey, Shero, forced from GM etc.

Had Shanny as player and will be on same page. Has worked with Babcock Team Canada should be ok.  Interesting though the problems that could develop.

How successful has Lou been without Marty in goal? When I think of the success the Devils have had, it's usually been because of Marty in his prime

That's essentially his entire career with New Jersey though.  He started in '87 and then drafted Marty in '90.  They might as well be a Belichick-Brady combo.