Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

On another note, Vesey to the Bruins in the rumor. Screams of tampering, but the NHL is so inept they'll not bother to investigate.

Bruins was my first thought when I heard he was hitting FA. Then I read about the Toronto stuff that I shared upthread, but Boston still made the most sense to me.. He grew up like 20min north of Boston, then went to Harvard and obviously liked the school and area enough to stay 4 years. I'd imagine all of his family is still around there, his dad played a few games for the Bruins back in the day, and he grew up a Bruins fan.. It all adds up, unfortunately.  

On another note, Vesey to the Bruins in the rumor. Screams of tampering, but the NHL is so inept they'll not bother to investigate.

The NHL is dumb. Boston and Toronto have most assuredly had some kind of contact with him. It is too coincidental impo.

Vesey is going to get the bejesus beat out of him when he plays his first game down here in Nashville. I'm looking forward to it!

Why would the players care? One of them should thank him as he wouldn't have a job if Vesey didn't vacate it.

Bruins was my first thought when I heard he was hitting FA. Then I read about the Toronto stuff that I shared upthread, but Boston still made the most sense to me.. He grew up like 20min north of Boston, then went to Harvard and obviously liked the school and area enough to stay 4 years. I'd imagine all of his family is still around there, his dad played a few games for the Bruins back in the day, and he grew up a Bruins fan.. It all adds up, unfortunately.  

This is dead on. No tampering, a kid from the Boston area wanting to play for the Bruins is no surprise. If Nashville was smart they would trade his rights to the Bruins for a pick, sort of locks the Leafs out for a bit. 

This is dead on. No tampering, a kid from the Boston area wanting to play for the Bruins is no surprise. If Nashville was smart they would trade his rights to the Bruins for a pick, sort of locks the Leafs out for a bit. 

Why would Boston give up an asset for someone they might sign for free on August 15th?

This alone shocks me, does that mean at least 5?

I don't think it means at least 5, it means it can be more than 5. Phone hearing means 5 or less, in person means 1 or more................. although usually it means at least 5. 

That sounded better in my head. 

I don't think it means at least 5, it means it can be more than 5. Phone hearing means 5 or less, in person means 1 or more................. although usually it means at least 5.

Haha, nah it makes sense, I really hope he misses some playoff time, anything less than that is just disgusting.

To muddy the water even more, Keith was "offered" an in-person but has the option of doing phone to speed things along. That's the wording they use in this article: http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/duncan-keith-suspension-could-spill-into-postseason/

David Poille did not make a deadline move this year because he was told by Vesey himself that he was signing with the Preds after his season ended. Poille expected Vesey to be on the second line wing right now. Then all of a sudden Vesey changed his mind, which means he loses hundreds of thousands by not being paid this season and extending his rookie contract another season. Financially, it makes exceedingly little sense to not sign now. Suffice to say, this situation isn't playing well with management down here. They've been told for four years by the kid that he was going to sign with the Preds after college. Honestly, I can't ever remember Poille being this mad.

Vesey of course can be a free agent if he wants, but don't lie to the club that drafted you about your intentions. That is what isn't sitting well.

David Poille did not make a deadline move this year because he was told by Vesey himself that he was signing with the Preds after his season ended. Poille expected Vesey to be on the second line wing right now. Then all of a sudden Vesey changed his mind, which means he loses hundreds of thousands by not being paid this season and extending his rookie contract another season. Financially, it makes exceedingly little sense to not sign now. Suffice to say, this situation isn't playing well with management down here. They've been told for four years by the kid that he was going to sign with the Preds after college. Honestly, I can't ever remember Poille being this mad.

Vesey of course can be a free agent if he wants, but don't lie to the club that drafted you about your intentions. That is what isn't sitting well.

Agreed. Fundamentally he is allowed to make this decision, just as a GM can trade a player with little to no warning. However, what makes him a douche is the fact he told Poille three times that his intention was to sign and join them. I assume he will go to Boston or Toronto. Plus him pulling this kind of stuff damages the stock of NCAA players. Russians drop in the draft because of the fear that the KHL has a pull on them, even though only two players have departed (Radulov and Kovalchuk). Shultz, Vesey, Wheeler are high profile players who have pulled this stuff. At the very least tell the GM so he can trade you and get something more than empty air. They can't force you to sign and it would be a nice way of repaying the investment and faith they made in you 

This probably deserves its own thread, and somebody more ambitious than I am should make it happen, but has anyone else been following the emails from the league? Essentially every snarky comment about old dinosaurs running the league is being validated right before our eyes. It's pretty incredible-in-a-bad-way stuff.

Agreed. Fundamentally he is allowed to make this decision, just as a GM can trade a player with little to no warning. However, what makes him a douche is the fact he told Poille three times that his intention was to sign and join them. I assume he will go to Boston or Toronto. Plus him pulling this kind of stuff damages the stock of NCAA players. Russians drop in the draft because of the fear that the KHL has a pull on them, even though only two players have departed (Radulov and Kovalchuk). Shultz, Vesey, Wheeler are high profile players who have pulled this stuff. At the very least tell the GM so he can trade you and get something more than empty air. They can't force you to sign and it would be a nice way of repaying the investment and faith they made in you

Vesey's people deny this. Some suspect that Poille is trying to lay groundwork for tampering charges.