Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

You have 4 years to sign a player before he can become a free agent. Waiting to sign a guy can result in just this. All the Preds can offer at this point is immediate playing time in the NHL. And, they're playing so well I'm not sure they want to mess around with the lineup. So, he goes UFA and can sign with the Leafs. I don't like it, but that's how the NHL rolls.

BTW - Did I mention how much I hate the offside review when the goal in question happens 20+ seconds after the questionable play? Urgh. Bettman sucks.

Edited by Potato

Contracts going to be pretty much the same anywhere. The rumors have already been going strong. Father is hired by Leafs, he is from Boston, apparently friends with Jack.

And I know you are not alone, I just don't agree.

That's fair. I don't think vessey himself is a bad person at all for doing this btw. I actually really like him. Hope he magically comes to Buffalo.

Vesey told Paul Fenton prior to the Trade Deadline that he was going to sign with us. #Preds

Poile: "Allow me to confirm that we offered Jimmy a spot in our top 6, playoff time and the chance to burn a year on his ELC." #Preds

David Poile is on the air right now. He would have traded Vesey's rights at the trade deadline but was told by both Vesey and his father that he would sign with the Preds.  Dick move.

Edited by Potato

We should absolutely try to sign Vesey. Lie, steal, cheat, whatever it takes!

Toronto is ahead of us there.. Reportedly signed his dad as an amateur scout (with little to no scouting experience from what I've read a couple of places, though I cannot vouch for their reliability because these sources were fan-generated) and also drafted his brother in the 6th round last year. 

He'll be highly sought after this offseason, but I'd obviously love to see him come to Buffalo like others have already stated. Maybe he'd like to come and play with Jack, who he finished behind in the Hobey Baker award last year.

Toronto is ahead of us there.. Reportedly signed his dad as an amateur scout (with little to no scouting experience from what I've read a couple of places, though I cannot vouch for their reliability because these sources were fan-generated) and also drafted his brother in the 6th round last year. 

He'll be highly sought after this offseason, but I'd obviously love to see him come to Buffalo like others have already stated. Maybe he'd like to come and play with Jack, who he finished behind in the Hobey Baker award last year.

Screams of tampering by the Leaves. This reminds me a bit of college football recruiting and all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes to secure players.

Might not be provable, but that reeks of tampering. Whatever, assassinate him and frame Lamoriello!

Vesey told Paul Fenton prior to the Trade Deadline that he was going to sign with us. #Preds

Poile: "Allow me to confirm that we offered Jimmy a spot in our top 6, playoff time and the chance to burn a year on his ELC." #Preds

David Poile is on the air right now. He would have traded Vesey's rights at the trade deadline but was told by both Vesey and his father that he would sign with the Preds.  Dick move.

More from Poile

https://twitter.com/AdamVingan/status/714640362346823680

BRAWNDO, on 28 Mar 2016 - 10:19 PM, said:

A Little Background from Jimmy Vesey Himself

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/jimmy-vesey-harvard-hockey/

Hmmmm....HMMMMMMM....

I'm not sure I like this.  My gut reaction is like Liger's.  This reads like one of those people who are perpetually stuck in the past.  A lot of people are stuck on the high-school days, but I know people who are stuck in college.  He just finds a lot of schmaltz to justify it.  When the you have a chance to go to the bigs, you go.  When duty calls, you respond.  This guy has failed at both. 

Don't want.

Hmmmm....HMMMMMMM....

I'm not sure I like this.  My gut reaction is like Liger's.  This reads like one of those people who are perpetually stuck in the past.  A lot of people are stuck on the high-school days, but I know people who are stuck in college.  He just finds a lot of schmaltz to justify it.  When the you have a chance to go to the bigs, you go.  When duty calls, you respond.  This guy has failed at both. 

Don't want.

He is basically saying he'll turn down a year of a pro contract and a top-6 position on one of the best team's in the league for a chance to go back and become a UFA in August. Less money if he does so, but he gets to pick his team. If it is the Leaves, this whole things needs to be investigated by the league.

Poille didn't make a move at the deadline because he was told by Vesey that he would sign after Harvard stops playing. He screwed over the Preds. No doubt about it.

He is basically saying he'll turn down a year of a pro contract and a top-6 position on one of the best team's in the league for a chance to go back and become a UFA in August. Less money if he does so, but he gets to pick his team. If it is the Leaves, this whole things needs to be investigated by the league.

Poille didn't make a move at the deadline because he was told by Vesey that he would sign after Harvard stops playing. He screwed over the Preds. No doubt about it.

Wasn't Justin Schultz the last one to try this?  Look how his flame has extinguished.

Wasn't Justin Schultz the last one to try this? Look how his flame has extinguished.

There have been a few guys that have followed this route. Kevin Hayes walked away from Chicago to sign with the Rangers and this year besides Vesey Cslgary has Mark Jankowski they need to sign.

Idk who he even is

Nominated for the Hobey Baker last season and had a heck of a season with BC.  He's a quality prospect. 

Did the league sign off on this?

They have no say.  He's a four year senior and can opt for UFA status.