Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

For something like this... to happen to a kid like that... IN HIS ROOKIE SEASON :SOB: :cry: :OHMYGODMYSONISDEAD:

I was wondering who was making fun of that stupid scene in that documentary with me    :lol:  :beer:

Edited by WildCard

Can someone figure out what percentage of the net goalies occupied when there was actually scoring in the NHL vs what percentage of the net they occupy now? Take the difference and expand the nets by that much.

Can someone figure out what percentage of the net goalies occupied when there was actually scoring in the NHL vs what percentage of the net they occupy now? Take the difference and expand the nets by that much.

How about looking at how the game was played then and how it's played now and working on that, instead of what ISN'T the problem.  In the 80s, playmakers made plays.  Kind of like in 2006.

How about looking at how the game was played then and how it's played now and working on that, instead of what ISN'T the problem. In the 80s, playmakers made plays. Kind of like in 2006.

OK, this is probably correct. I've said it on here before that I think Jaques Lemaire had a big hand in ruining hockey. The other hand would be the penalties never being called.

The net expansion was more of a general musing on my part.

Edited by ubkev

OK, this is probably correct. I've said it on here before that I think Jaques Lemaire had a big hand in ruining hockey. The other hand would be the penalties never being called.

The net expansion was more of a general musing on my part.

You're excused from any and all musing.

Babdick should know better.

How about looking at how the game was played then and how it's played now and working on that, instead of what ISN'T the problem. In the 80s, playmakers made plays. Kind of like in 2006.

I agree to an extent... But let's not act like the size of the goaltenders hasn't made an impact. Goaltending style has also changed a ton and you don't see these guys skating around or standing up like idiots nearly as often now.

I think tiny size increases wouldn't hurt but would prefer some other changes first.

Edited by Hoss

The simple solution is to call the penalties that are happening.  Allowing the interference, etc. is a way to keep the teams closer together in the standings by not allowing the truly talented to move more freely and create goals.

I don't see anything else required at this point.

The simple solution is to call the penalties that are happening.  Allowing the interference, etc. is a way to keep the teams closer together in the standings by not allowing the truly talented to move more freely and create goals.

I don't see anything else required at this point.

I agree with this 100%.

What the heck happened over the last 10 years?! Was it just a slow creep back to the clutch and grab era? 

I agree with this 100%.

What the heck happened over the last 10 years?! Was it just a slow creep back to the clutch and grab era? 

Not so much clutch and grab as "stand your ground". Defensemen can interfere with you under the guise of holding their ground. It's why you see forwards without the puck having such a hard time getting around defenders now. The defenders are under no obligation to move, they just can't hit you. They basically set picks now, and it slows the game down. 

The defenders are under no obligation to move, they just can't hit you.

Ah, but they do move. They move into the forecheckers' way. They try to disguise it as turning to chase the puck, but they just happen to swing a little wider than normal and impede the entering forward.

Ah, but they do move. They move into the forecheckers' way. They try to disguise it as turning to chase the puck, but they just happen to swing a little wider than normal and impede the entering forward.

Right. It's a skilled motion that gives the illusion of not interfering when in fact it is.