Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

There are WAYYYY more brothers in the NHL than I thought.

The Giontas (Brian and Stephen)

The McGinns (Jamie, Brock, Tye)

The Michaleks (Zybnek and Milan)

The Smiths (Brenden and Reilly)

The Van Reimsdyks (James and Trevor)

The Folignos (Marcus and Nick)

The Benns (Jamie and Jordie)

The Staals (Jordan and Eric - other one out of league)

The Reinharts (Griffin and Samson - other one out of league)

The Schenns (Brayden and Luke)

The Millers (Drew and Ryan)

The Stones (Mark and Mike)

The Sedins (Dan and Henrik)

The Granlunds (Markus and Mikael)

The Hayes' (Jimmie and Kevin)

I can think of a few brothers with one in the NHL and one in the AHL such as the O'Reillys, Subbans, Samuelsons and Hamiltons.

I got all of those off the top of my head except for the Hayes which I knew were brother but forgot existed. I think that's the complete list.

Marc Staal, is in the league and Jared Staal has no chance of ever sniffing a game IMO.  

Edited by TheCerebral1

Not for nothing, but certain of TO's #fancystats are excellent (Corsi and Fenwich are #5 and #4, respectively).

TO's PDO is 7th worst (PDO is just adding your shooting % and save % together). Not unlike the Sabres, TO has a coach who's giving their game better structure and their luck is bound to change (a bit, anyway).

Also interesting: Chicago's shooting percentage is 2nd worst in the league; Buffalo's is 3rd worst.

If Buffalo can become a top-20 PDO team, they will make a playoff push.

Not for nothing, but certain of TO's #fancystats are excellent (Corsi and Fenwich are #5 and #4, respectively).

TO's PDO is 7th worst (PDO is just adding your shooting % and save % together). Not unlike the Sabres, TO has a coach who's giving their game better structure and their luck is bound to change (a bit, anyway).

Also interesting: Chicago's shooting percentage is 2nd worst in the league; Buffalo's is 3rd worst.

If Buffalo can become a top-20 PDO team, they will make a playoff push.

What does PDO stand for?

http://nhl.nbcsports.com/2015/11/02/pht-morning-skate-letang-takes-shot-at-maple-leafs-for-not-paying-tribute-to-phil-kessel-on-saturday-night/

This gave me a good chuckle, to paraphrase Letang got upset and took a shot that Toronto didn't roll out the red carpets for Phil "the Schill" Kessel.  I mean look the guy can score goals, but he doesn't show up to camp in shape and while he seems like a good guy, gets lost at times.  Your teammates can only do so much on work ethic. :D

STARTRIBUNE.COM: In a recent mailbag segment, Michael Russo reported he felt the Minnesota Wild are more likely to trade defenseman Jared Spurgeon in the offseason, rather than the trade deadline, if unable to re-sign the restricted free agent blueliner. Russo wouldn’t be surprised if the Stars dealt backup goalie Darcy Kuemper around next June’s NHL draft, but doesn’t see a trade market for aging, expensive, oft-injured Niklas Backstrom. He also wouldn’t be shocked if the Wild bought out Jason Pominville next summer if the winger fails to regain his scoring touch, though such a move would  be expensive. Russo doubts the Wild have sufficient cap space to pursue a potential UFA next summer like Kyle Okposo, especially when they’ve got Spurgeon, Jason Zucker and Matt Dumba to re-sign.

Didn't know pominville was doing that bad, I'd sign him back on a 2 year deal if the wild buy him out :D

Didn't know pominville was doing that bad, I'd sign him back on a 2 year deal if the wild buy him out :D

He has 5 assists.  Doesn't Crosby have 5 points in 12 games? I don't see where this is relevant.  There are forwards on every team that are under-performing.  Take half of Columbus and put them on notice :D  * He was quite solid last season. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

What does PDO stand for?

I'm not sure, really. It might be the initials of the blogger who popularized the use of SPSV%? (Seriously, that might be it.)

One of the #fancystat bloggers I follow says PDO is the most useful #fancystat because it shows you where the puck luck is, and, hence, which team's fortunes are poised to fall through the floor. Here's a portion of his recap on the matter (interesting to see that he posits that an entire season's worth of shots is too small a sample size to control for the role of good luck):

"PDO: This simple statistic captures several complex and powerful concepts:

1. Shooting percentage is primarily luck-driven: We've gone through this a billion times - a season's worth of shots, whether for a team, while a player's on the ice, or just those taken by an individual player, simply isn't a large enough sample to overcome the role of luck in putting pucks in the net.

2. Save percentage is primarily luck-driven: The spread of goaltending talent is much smaller than most people suspect, and 29-year-old goalies jumping from obscurity to the All-Star game are hardly uncommon. Again, we've got single-season sample size issues, backup goalies, and a whole lot of luck.

For the vast majority of NHL regulars, a high PDO in one season comes crashing down the next. "

Edited by That Aud Smell

I'm not sure, really. It might be the initials of the blogger who popularized the use of SPSV%? (Seriously, that might be it.)

One of the #fancystat bloggers I follow says PDO is the most useful #fancystat because it shows you where the puck luck is, and, hence, which team's fortunes are poised to fall through the floor. Here's a portion of his recap on the matter (interesting to see that he posits that an entire season's worth of shots is too small a sample size to control for the role of good luck):

"PDO: This simple statistic captures several complex and powerful concepts:

1. Shooting percentage is primarily luck-driven: We've gone through this a billion times - a season's worth of shots, whether for a team, while a player's on the ice, or just those taken by an individual player, simply isn't a large enough sample to overcome the role of luck in putting pucks in the net.

2. Save percentage is primarily luck-driven: The spread of goaltending talent is much smaller than most people suspect, and 29-year-old goalies jumping from obscurity to the All-Star game are hardly uncommon. Again, we've got single-season sample size issues, backup goalies, and a whole lot of luck.

For the vast majority of NHL regulars, a high PDO in one season comes crashing down the next. "

Oh so close! PDO was the forum name of the guy who came up with it...best anyone can tell, it doesn't stand for anything beyond that.

"PDO is the sum of a team's 5v5 shooting percentage (the number of goals they score divided by the number of shots on goal they generate) and their 5v5 save percentage (the number of shots their goalies stop divided by the number of shots on goal they allow)" http://www.fearthefin.com/2012/8/2/3215351/non-traditional-metrics-glossary-pdo

I disagree that shooting percentage is entirely luck driven. Maybe for a single season but most players have a standard deviation around their average sh% that is generally predictable.

1. Shooting percentage is primarily luck-driven: 

I disagree that shooting percentage is entirely luck driven. 

:huh:

Oh so close! PDO was the forum name of the guy who came up with it...best anyone can tell, it doesn't stand for anything beyond that.

Ah, so. Well, as experience around here might suggest, PDO might just have been the guy's initials.

+++

So, even the reigning NHL dynasty is capable of making bad deals.

Bickell to the A:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/eye-on-hockey/25361159/blackhawks-send-bryan-bickell-to-ahl-recall-marko-dano

Edited by That Aud Smell