Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Friedman also doesn't know what the market will be for Kulikov.

And Biron mentioned that Kane is not part of the Sabres Long Term Plans on the radio this AM

To your 1st statement, I'd prefer it to be low as I would like to have him back next season.

As to the 2nd, kind of surprised at that, though not sure why the surprise. The rumors of him being shopped over the summer were quite credible.

i wouldn't.   it's a business, the players realize that.   if the right deal comes along he gets moved.   he can always sign in here in the offseason.

well, yeah - there is that.

To your 1st statement, I'd prefer it to be low as I would like to have him back next season.

Yeah? Maybe it's been his injuries, but - has he been useful? Good?

I know that's received wisdom. And yet - the Patriots. An exception that proves the rule?

Players jump at an opportunity to play for the Pats because they're just about guaranteed the chance to compete for the superbowl.

Players jump at an opportunity to play for the Sabres because the wings are good here, probably.

There is a slight difference.

By the way, this has another meaning as well. It means the Sabres have already asked him; it means we're sellers

Possible alternative theory: The Sabres have a respected veteran who is a pending UFA. As a responsible GM I would ask him what his preferences were with regards to being traded and since he has a list of teams to make sure who those teams were.  

Also, this conversation about him being traded took place quite awhile ago as I understand it.

If you treat your players poorly, you will have a had time signing others later on

if Gionta moves it will likely be with his blessing and the knowledge around the NHL would be that Murray honored his opinion and his position before making the move.  As it was stated to me, the chance to play for another cup isn't necessarily high on his list compared to staying in the Buffalo/Rochester area.  It's possible Murray could say screw that, but I just don't think that happens in this situation.  If however, a great deal comes along that would help the Sabres I could see Gionta accepting the deal to help his hometown team for the longer term. It's the kind of person he is.

who cares if he wants to be traded or not. we're trying to run a business here!

And part of running a business is keeping your brand desireable. Unloading guys who don't want to be moved that chose to come to your city and help your team through some rough times would be significant brand depreciation.

well, yeah - there is that.

Yeah? Maybe it's been his injuries, but - has he been useful? Good?

The guy has been playing w/ essentially a broken tailbone & also suffered a severe injury.

I've seen enough to expect him to be solid top 4 next year. Would rather it be here than elsewhere.

(Apologies to Gorges for the snark above.)

If you treat your players poorly, you will have a had time signing others later on

So we can never trade a guy who doesn't want to be traded?   How about showing the rest of the league you're willing to do what it takes to build a winner.

And part of running a business is keeping your brand desireable. Unloading guys who don't want to be moved that chose to come to your city and help your team through some rough times would be significant brand depreciation.

We're in 14th place, but hey, we didn't piss anybody off by trading them... yay!  come play for us!  were the best!

So we can never trade a guy who doesn't want to be traded?   How about showing the rest of the league you're willing to do what it takes to build a winner.

Gionta's situation is unique. It's the end of his career and he lives an hour from here. He came to a team tanking to lead these kids and be a captain, and for it to be his last stop

Gionta's situation is unique. It's the end of his career and he lives an hour from here. He came to a team tanking to lead these kids and be a captain, and for it to be his last stop

and he's done a great job, right?   he's got everybody pulling the same direction and we're significantly better than we were last season.   

and he's done a great job, right?   he's got everybody pulling the same direction and we're significantly better than we were last season.   

The team meshes and sticks up for one another like no other Sabres team in the last decade. So yeah, I think he's done what he's supposed to

marty knows nothing.   kane is gmtm's ideal hockey player.... he wants more kanes not fewer.

GMTM doesn't strike me as a guy who gets married to a player. But i also don't think he'd let go of him for sake of trading him.

Kane seems like the most likely to be dealt of our top-6 forwards - off ice issues, injury prone, UFA after next season...

Speculation IMO as well.  But I assume he probably has a little insider info to help fuel the speculation he has.

Marty doesn't strike me as the type of guy who'd fabricate something like that.

I'd be interested to hear exactly what he said -- i.e. whether it was information from his sources, or whether he said he's heard rumors, or other.

But if he said essentially that his team sources have told him that Kaner is going to be traded -- to me that is a solid piece of evidence to support a prediction that he won't be signing an extension with the Sabres and is thus likely to be traded either at the deadline or over the summer.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/columnists/spraker/hs170215.html

Piece on the availability of the Ducks D Men

Ah, the young guns. Now at the forefront of the trade chatter.

These guys, both successful in the AHL with the San Diego Gulls, are now fighting to prove themselves as NHL starters, and teams are keeping a close eye.

Montour recently potted his first NHL goal and has shown he is able to hold his own. Theodore continues his ups and downs of the I-5 freeway from San Diego to Anaheim. Teams are looking for young, talented defensemen at a cheap price. Keeping in mind the expansion draft has everyone thrown for a loop.

Perhaps a package deal could be in the future for that top-six left wing the Ducks have needed for quite some time. Teams that are looking for a win-now addition to their blue line will not be looking for these guys. Montour and Theodore are investments looking forward.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.