Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

I think a true centre is harder to find in the draft, free agency or by way of trade then even an extremely good Dman.

Anyway, I don't think either team would make the straight up deal.

I wont argue those points but with Eichel, O'Reilly, and Larsson do they need to worry about a top 9 center?

I wont argue those points but with Eichel, O'Reilly, and Larsson do they need to worry about a top 9 center?

Long term I still think the best move is either run ROR-Eichel-Reinhart down the middle with Larsson on a 4th line that can actually play, or sliding O'Reilly to Eichel's wing. But if the team is dead set on Reinhart as a winger, then a trade for Ekblad is a no-brainer.

Florida laughs regardless though, since they don't exactly need a center.

I think a true centre is harder to find in the draft, free agency or by way of trade then even an extremely good Dman.

Anyway, I don't think either team would make the straight up deal.

I'd do it

In a heartbeat.

Sam will be the key component when we win a Stanley Cup. He was a leader his entire amateur career. He's a class act with elite talent and driven to improve. His hockey IQ is as good as it gets. Only a fool would trade Sam because of the start of this season.

Sam will be the key component when we win a Stanley Cup. He was a leader his entire amateur career. He's a class act with elite talent and driven to improve. His hockey IQ is as good as it gets. Only a fool would trade Sam because of the start of this season.

I agree. Sam will be O.K.

I wouldn't necessarily call it foolish to trade away Reinhart for the right return.  If the Sabres can get a top young defenseman for him it might be worth it.

The Tavares watch will be interesting.  If the Sabres are progressing as they should then his UFA status could come at the right time to put it all together.  This makes Reinhart even less critical down the road.  It's hypothesis of course because no one knows what Tavares would do but the Sabres would have to represent a very good opportunity for him at that time and they've got Okposo and Moulson as well.  It matters and the Islanders don't look like they are going to be killing it any time soon.

The Sabres may be an interesting option for Tavares when the time comes, but I would be surprised if he hit the open market.  I suspect the Islanders will make him the highest paid player in the NHL when he signs an extension this coming summer (he is UFA in 2018, right?).

• 2 weeks later...

Some deadline deals if we continue to sputter.

To BUF
  1. Duclair, A
To ARI
  1. Girgensons, Z

Struggling youth for struggling youth.

To BUF
  1. Luff, M
  2. 2017 1st round pick (LAK)
To LAK
  1. Kulikov, D ($2,100,000 retained)

At about 49% retained, Kulikov should be able pick up a 1st, and maybe a random prospect. That is if he isn't injured the whole month of January.  This 1st is vital, since we'd use it to snag one of the Wild or Ducks Dmen.

To BUF

1. 2017 2nd round pick (WSH)
To MTL
  1. Franson, C ($1,600,000 retained)

Franson's looked better this year, and at just short of 50% retention he should be able to pick up a 2nd/3rd

Edited by thewookie1

LA needs forwards not D Men. They have been scouting Buffalo heavily per Garth. He suggested Kane for Jake Muzzin. Is Garth reputable?

Also Kris Baker floated an idea as well Reinhart for Willy Nylander.

I'd need fresh pants if we snagged Muzzin for Kane. Muzzin is an anlytics dream

And hell no. We already have a Nylander, and a better one at that

Yep, we would need to include some things though

You think so? It's likely a top 10 pick for a rebuilding team, that could be huge for them Edited by WildCard

LA needs forwards not D Men. They have been scouting Buffalo heavily per Garth. He suggested Kane for Jake Muzzin.

Also Kris Baker floated an idea as well Reinhart for Willy Nylander.

Referencing Garth from Hockeybuzz?  He is a terrible blogger, comes up with ridiculous trade proposals (Sabres crap for other teams Gold) and his 'insider' info has never been right.  He always says "the deal I told you about came to the wire, but, last minute it didn't happen"

Referencing Garth from Hockeybuzz? He is a terrible blogger, comes up with ridiculous trade proposals (Sabres crap for other teams Gold) and his 'insider' info has never been right. He always says "the deal I told you about came to the wire, but, last minute it didn't happen"

I do not disagree with any of this. He isn't even asked to do radio appearances anymore.

It will never happen, but I thought I would throw it out there to generate some discussion

Hasn't he had a miserable season? And our wings are terrible too

Well, Landeskog has been on a three year slide too. I'm just not willing to put a ton of stock into individual performances on that team this year.

That aside, I disagree that our wings are terrible. They're not ideal, but they're not terrible either. Plus if you look at things organizationally, we have help coming on the wings of both the high end variety (Nylander) and depth variety (Bailey/Baptiste/Fasching), whereas our RHD is an apocalyptic wasteland outside of Risto.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.