Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Duchene's speed with ROR and KO would be absolutely devastating. 

ROR-Duchene-Okposo

Nylander-Eichel-Reinhart

Nylander and Jack, in the preseason for a game or two, was awesome and I can't wait to see them play together. The speed and skill in this top six is ridiculous.

Landeskog is slower, but would be like an elite Zemgus, making space and being a wrecking ball while also finishing skill plays and scoring regularly on feeds from Jack and Sam, getting Nylander ice time with those two forechecking demons. 

Either guy would be a huge add, and would cost us way too much, most likely. I'd love either on this team.

Landeskog is exactly who I hoped/thought Zemgus was going to be. :(

Dreger: Wasn't formal offer, but I think #Coyotes at time were offering a pick and perhaps Duclair for Hamilton. #Flames weren't interested.

http://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-news-calgary-flames-dougie-hamilton-colorado-avalanche-gabriel-landeskog-out-and-more/

If Chayka wants Hamilton, I want Hamilton

Thing is Chayka tends to overrate his own players to much, read somewhere that most GM's don't like dealing with him.

Duclair is not worth a 2C.

After watching this team languish with injuries but go 3-1-1 since Jack returned, does anyone really think at this point that GMTM is going to trade anyone before the deadline? I don't.

We still have Ennis, Bogo, Gorges, Fedun, Kulikov, and Deslauriers hurt.  We have no cap space and no tradeable assets to move because of the injuries or non-performance.  

At this point it's time to relax and let things unfold, because no upgrades are going any time soon.

After watching this team languish with injuries but go 3-1-1 since Jack returned, does anyone really think at this point that GMTM is going to trade anyone before the deadline? I don't.

We still have Ennis, Bogo, Gorges, Fedun, Kulikov, and Deslauriers hurt.  We have no cap space and no tradeable assets to move because of the injuries or non-performance.

At this point it's time to relax and let things unfold, because no upgrades are going any time soon.

If we traded someone we would have more cap space... like Ennis. Also we currently have a little over 1.2million in cap space. Also we are going to lose someone in the expansion which will open up cap space. So this notion you keep pushing of having no cap space, simply isn't true. Especially looking into next year when a bunch of money comes off the books. Or the following year when even more money comes off the books. Upgrades almost never come in season for really anyone. Big trades are happening more and more in the offseason. Our upgrades will come from the Nylanders and Guhles in our system as those guys mature. 

To the non performance part, literally every guy in your list is injured. All of them. Can't perform when you are injured. Also Fedun makes like 600k a year, who cares about him? 

Edited by LGR4GM

If we traded someone we would have more cap space... like Ennis. Also we currently have a little over 1.2million in cap space. Also we are going to lose someone in the expansion which will open up cap space. So this notion you keep pushing of having no cap space, simply isn't true. Especially looking into next year when a bunch of money comes off the books. Or the following year when even more money comes off the books. Upgrades almost never come in season for really anyone. Big trades are happening more and more in the offseason. Our upgrades will come from the Nylanders and Guhles in our system as those guys mature. 

To the non performance part, literally every guy in your list is injured. All of them. Can't perform when you are injured. Also Fedun makes like 600k a year, who cares about him? 

Keepin it real yo! Both posts are excellent and on point.

Beer, thank you for your post because I couldn't think at first at how to respond to a post that agrees with my concept but from a poster who didn't read my post or took things out of context to cause an argument. However, I still think it is important to help the below referenced poster with his reading comprehension.

I wrote about the possibility of trades "before the deadline," aka in-season trades. The purpose of my post was to quickly review why it was unlikely that we'd see any attempt to upgrade this roster through trades prior to the deadline.

Having significant cap room would help facilitate in-season trades. Sadly, we have no available cap space. We stand at 1.2 currently with only 850k projected. The poster below says this is incorrect and points out that we have expiring contracts and will lose someone to expansion. How do these facts create in-season cap space? They don't.

Our lack of current cap space means we can't take more money back then we are sending out. For example, we can't trade Girgensons (1.15 cap ) plus prospects or picks to Van for Tanev (4.45) when healthy without Van retaining a huge piece of Tanev's contract this season or taking a $3 mill player from us. Although I'd be ok with Girgensons and Franson for a healthy Tanev.

Also for us to dump a contract in season, such as Ennis, as the poster suggested, to create more cap space is extremely difficult, but i'd be OK with such a trade. Only 8 of the 30 teams have projected cap space at season's end over $3 mill, makes finding a trading partner difficult.

I also listed a group of injured players to illustrate how short handed we are. The poster below seems to equate "hurt" with "tradeable." I wrote that our tradeable assets are suffering from "injuries OR not performing." This is a much longer list. Granted some of our injured players were not performing (Ennis, Kulikov and Bogo to name 3). However the non-performers extend beyond the injured list. For example Kane and Girgensons are tradeable assets that haven't performed to expectations (Kane's last 2 games not withstanding).

I hope this helps :)

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Beer, thank you for your post because I couldn't think at first at how to respond to a post that agrees with my concept but from a poster who didn't read my post or took things out of context to cause an argument. However, I still think it is important to help the below referenced poster with his reading comprehension.

I wrote about the possibility of trades "before the deadline," aka in-season trades. The purpose of my post was to quickly review why it was unlikely that we'd see any attempt to upgrade this roster through trades prior to the deadline.

Having significant cap room would help facilitate in-season trades. Sadly, we have no available cap space. We stand at 1.2 currently with only 850k projected. The poster below says this is incorrect and points out that we have expiring contracts and will lose someone to expansion. How do these facts create in-season cap space? They don't.

Our lack of current cap space means we can't take more money back then we are sending out. For example, we can't trade Girgensons (1.15 cap ) plus prospects or picks to Van for Tanev (4.45) when healthy without Van retaining a huge piece of Tanev's contract this season or taking a $3 mill player from us. Although I'd be ok with Girgensons and Franson for a healthy Tanev.

Also for us to dump a contract in season, such as Ennis, as the poster suggested, to create more cap space is extremely difficult, but i'd be OK with such a trade. Only 8 of the 30 teams have projected cap space at season's end over $3 mill, makes finding a trading partner difficult.

I also listed a group of injured players to illustrate how short handed we are. The poster below seems to equate "hurt" with "tradeable." I wrote that our tradeable assets are suffering from "injuries OR not performing." This is a much longer list. Granted some of our injured players were not performing (Ennis, Kulikov and Bogo to name 3). However the non-performers extend beyond the injured list. For example Kane and Girgensons are tradeable assets that haven't performed to expectations (Kane's last 2 games not withstanding).

I hope this helps :)

First, I read your post. I don't agree with all of it.

Second, to your actual response. We have almost 3million in projected cap space for the deadline. Cody McCormick is on LTIR for example. That frees up space. Most NHL trades are equal when it comes to cap traded especially in season. Sure there are exceptions that occur. But almost every NHL team (as you yourself point out) are at or near the cap. This is why in season trades are difficult, teams don't have extra cap space. We could never trade Zemgus and Prospects for Tanev unless we are talking a prospect like Nylander in which guess Vancouver would be foolish not to figure out a way to make the cap room. 

A prospects for NHL player trade, I don't think we are in the market for that anyway. Upgrading the team in season to sacrifice things going forward would be short sighted on GMTM's part. We don't have the assets anymore to trade 3 prospects and Zemgus for a player. We need to build our depth not make it worse. We don't have the assets to trade 2 prospects and NHL'er for a player really.

My point being we do have cap space for a trade but, as to the Ennis deal, I was not talking a straight cap dump. But if a team had interest in Ennis and we had interest in one of their players, we could flip him and get some relief potentially or not at all. There is enough flexibility there that what we send out doesn't exactly have to equal what we take back in. There are a dozen different scenarios where our cap is quite manageable. So we could potentially have upwards of 3+ million in cap space at the trade deadline due to injuries and such. This is going off of cap friendly's numbers. I think that is plenty of money to switch some things up if needed or if deemed necessary. 

Finally, you are correct I did talk about post season cap relief. Because that is the important part. Trading for a guy in season won't make this team, that caliber player simply isn't available or we lack the ammo to get them. But in the offseason, when money comes off the books and the trade market really opens up with the entire expansion draft looming, that will be a fun time. 

Bottom line for me is I see us as having cap space in season to make some moves if needed. Can we take on a ton of cap, no of course not. We can however take on some like to add a 4-6 defender if one were available. I am all for waiting til the offseason which sounded like what you also thought.

I hope that clarifies my thoughts on the matter. 

Finally, if you are going to "call someone out" at least actually use their user name. Biggest SabreSpace gripe would be when people do things like this "When the above poster" or "well that other poster" or "well a poster said...".  I'm not a poster hanging on your wall. "I think LGR missed the point on my post and is wrong". There, no big deal. We all disagree at times. 

Edited by LGR4GM

On this, how does this work? Does the LTIR designation give them the ability to spend the LTIR credit at any point?

The LTIR "credit" is only usable while a team would be looking to exceed the salary cap & the player designated is actually on LTIR.

And, this is how it worked under the prior CBA -pretty sure it still does but not positive of it, if the team had cap space prior to using that "credit" the team has to burn that accumulated cap space prior to truly using the LTIR cap cushion. E.g., a team w/ $1MM in cap space places a $5MM player on LTIR & brings up a player causing the team to go "over" the cap by $2MM. Before the team salary washes out to being at the cap for accounting purposes, the daily savings accrued from earlier being under the cap get burned. So if the team had been under the cap for 1/4 of the season, after another 1/8 of the season rolled using the LTIR, the team would be considered to be AT the cap after that point until the player went back off LTIR & the team made the necessary moves to get back @ or under the cap.

Simple, huh? ;)

So, to an extent it's like dental insurance where you have to meet your deductible prior to the insurance company chipping in. In this case, the deductible would be any accrued cap savings the team had built up.

Losing Ennis or Moulson is perfectly fine by me :D

I still like Girgensons, but he's probably a change of scenery guy at point, unless we get rid of DB. He's been healthy all year and still hasn't been able to move in the lineup despite all the injuries we've had at forward. I wouldn't trade him for scraps because he's still young (and cheap) and still has potential (plus I'm still hoping he can rebound once DB is sent packing) but if a teams gives us a decent offer I'd be willing to pull to trigger.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.