Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Well, Landeskog has been on a three year slide too. I'm just not willing to put a ton of stock into individual performances on that team this year.

That aside, I disagree that our wings are terrible. They're not ideal, but they're not terrible either. Plus if you look at things organizationally, we have help coming on the wings of both the high end variety (Nylander) and depth variety (Bailey/Baptiste/Fasching), whereas our RHD is an apocalyptic wasteland outside of Risto.

And I bet our wings will look a whole lot better with a smooth puck mover on the right side on the second pair.

If we find ourselves out of contention at the trade deadline and can put together a package that can get a first round pick, would anyone think about pushing for a 2018 pick over a 2017 one? 

It would vary which team, I'd tend to have a bias towards the immediate only because we could use it to buy a defenseman from MIN/ANA/OTT etc that's being exposed.

Detroit and Vancouver I'd gun for either 1st

It would vary which team, I'd tend to have a bias towards the immediate only because we could use it to buy a defenseman from MIN/ANA/OTT etc that's being exposed.

Detroit and Vancouver I'd gun for either 1st

Neither will team will be relevant enough to trade their first,  I'd be looking at teams like LA, Dallas to want to trade a first.

If we find ourselves out of contention at the trade deadline and can put together a package that can get a first round pick, would anyone think about pushing for a 2018 pick over a 2017 one?

sure, if you want to tank next year again and go through another season of this garbage/crap. This team needs help now, not 2 seasons from now. Selling off more asserts for picks 2 drafts from now just resets the rebuild instead of building off of what's here they need more proven talent, not more future talent

sure, if you want to tank next year again and go through another season of this garbage/crap. This team needs help now, not 2 seasons from now. Selling off more asserts for picks 2 drafts from now just resets the rebuild instead of building off of what's here they need more proven talent, not more future talent

A first round pick in the 2017 draft is most definitely NOT helping us next season. The draft is pretty weak and pretty shallow. Basic asset management would dictate selling a few guys at the deadline if we are out of it - and in many of these cases, those guys would be part of the problem. So, my question simply asks, would others be inclined to hold off for a draft that looks like it could have ten top-5 pieces, that is so top-heavy that early projections have Veleno (the MacK/Jack/Matthews level center that usually goes 1OA) going third? Or do we want a first in the Nugent-Hopkins draft where Nico Hischier could go top 2, and the other top 2 guys are Nuge/Murray level prospects and have been hurt the whole year? 

Either way, we aren't helping ourselves immediately. Give me the ticket in the better draft. And yes, they're usually pretty good at predicting the top end of a draft a year and a half out, as well as its depth. 

A first round pick in the 2017 draft is most definitely NOT helping us next season. The draft is pretty weak and pretty shallow. Basic asset management would dictate selling a few guys at the deadline if we are out of it - and in many of these cases, those guys would be part of the problem. So, my question simply asks, would others be inclined to hold off for a draft that looks like it could have ten top-5 pieces, that is so top-heavy that early projections have Veleno (the MacK/Jack/Matthews level center that usually goes 1OA) going third? Or do we want a first in the Nugent-Hopkins draft where Nico Hischier could go top 2, and the other top 2 guys are Nuge/Murray level prospects and have been hurt the whole year? 

Either way, we aren't helping ourselves immediately. Give me the ticket in the better draft. And yes, they're usually pretty good at predicting the top end of a draft a year and a half out, as well as its depth. 

I also like the gamble part of it, take a guess who will be a bottom dweller in 2 years and is in win now mode, LA/Boston.

In a vacuum, given the choice between a first in 2017 or 2018, I'd take the one in 2018. But I think that, A, a first isn't going to be available in trade, and for later round picks, one has to go with the immediate draft.

And, B, I'd rather deal for NHL ready prospects, if possible. Getting a first is always a good opportunity if it's there, but with where we are are, warm bodies would be prefereable to picks.

Per Adrian Dater

Hearing Boston has had talks with Avs over Landeskog. Sakic wanted Carlo, and B's said no

Bruins countered with Zboril, but he's too unproven

Zbobil, Morrow, DeBrusk and Bruins #1 pick could be part of potential package

They would want Guhle/McCabe and some other combo.

Getting too rich for the Sabres?

Per Adrian Dater

Hearing Boston has had talks with Avs over Landeskog. Sakic wanted Carlo, and B's said no

Bruins countered with Zboril, but he's too unproven

Zbobil, Morrow, DeBrusk and Bruins #1 pick could be part of potential package

They would want Guhle/McCabe and some other combo.

Getting too rich for the Sabres?

As much as I'd love Landeskog, we simply can't be trading from our blue line IMO.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.