Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

People here have said that Foligno is tradeable. He has a career high of 23 pts (last season). He is physical. Plays a decent two way game and sticks up for teammates. He is also on pace for another 20 pt season. He is on a one year deal at 2.25 and is an RFA. Ok, so what is his value? Can trading him help us get what we need?

Will he garner us a top 6 forward? No!

Will he garner us a top 4 D? No!

We saw last year that McGinn couldn't even get us a 2nd rd pick at the deadline and he added scoring. So is Foligno worth a 3rd pick like McGinn at best? Can he be packaged with a 2nd rd pick to get a top 6 forward or top 4 D? I doubt it. Remember we can't take on any salary.

Why would you trade him if all your going to get back is a draft pick who at best won't make the 3-5 years or get a bottom six forward or a bottom line D? How is that upgrading the team?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

People here have said that Foligno is tradeable. He has a career high of 23 pts (last season). He is physical. Plays a decent two way game and sticks up for teammates. He is also on pace for another 20 pt season. He is on a one year deal at 2.25 and is an RFA. Ok, so what is his value? Can trading him help us get what we need?

Will he garner us a top 6 forward? No!

Will he garner us a top 4 D? No!

We saw last year that McGinn couldn't even get us a 2nd rd pick at the deadline and he added scoring. So is Foligno worth a 3rd pick like McGinn at best? Can he be packaged with a 2nd rd pick to get a top 6 forward or top 4 D? I doubt it. Remember we can't take on any salary.

Why would you trade him if all your going to get back is a draft pick who at best won't make the 3-5 years or get a bottom six forward or a bottom line D? How is that upgrading the team?

Completely agree but if offers get ridiculous near the deadline, you take it.

From Friedman 30 Thoughts

11. Here’s what it sounds like happened with Vancouver, Buffalo and Evander Kane: There were a lot of assumptions the price would be low, that the Sabres would be so desperate to do this that the Canucks would get a steal.

Sabres GM Tim Murray made it clear that would not be the case. (Neither team would comment.)

If you look at the blockbuster with Winnipeg, the Sabres were willing to grow the deal to increase the return, and I would assume that happened here, too. One of the things I’ve heard Buffalo is looking for is speed, both up front and on the blue line. There are not a ton of logical fits. As mentioned last week, Vancouver is not giving up either Brock Boeser or Olli Juolevi unless the return is massive. And I don’t think Buffalo was too interested in anyone off the main Vancouver roster other than maybe Chris Tanev. In the end, the Canucks weren’t willing to do it.

And this

As mentioned, the Sabres are looking for speed. Calgary is open for business. Bruce Boudreau half-joked he had “four checking lines” on Monday, as Minnesota eyes a scorer.

Assuming it'd for Kane and there's no other pieces involved, that's a "get this guy away from my team" kind of trade.

yeah. My view of Virtanen is that he needs a lot of work and attitude change just to get to be where Kane is at right now - a headache that plays some boneheaded hockey, supplemented with a good forecheck and raw speed but a propensity to injure himself with the way he plays. 

I'll stress that I mean hockey-related attitude change. He seems to suffer from "thinks he should be playing because of Vancouver's losing streak but doesn't understand that he was the worst player on that team while it was losing" attitude.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.