Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Anyone interested in bringing Enroth back as a back up ?

I don't think you can have a more solid back up goalie than him, he knows the team well and if anything happens to Lehner he can step in as #1.

I would be, but I'm not sure if he isn't looking still for a shot at being a #1.  If he has moved on from that notion then sure, why not.

Anyone interested in bringing Enroth back as a back up ?

I don't think you can have a more solid back up goalie than him, he knows the team well and if anything happens to Lehner he can step in as #1.

I think it's a great idea.

We probably are one of the better shots he has at being a #1.  Its Lehner's spot to lose, but he has question marks.

Not so sure. Calgary, Wiinnipeg, Dallas (probably can't pay him though), and some other teams are all more desperate for a number 1 than we are. 

Not so sure. Calgary, Wiinnipeg, Dallas (probably can't pay him though), and some other teams are all more desperate for a number 1 than we are. 

Dallas has two #1s as it is.  They just didn't have terrific years.

I would rather keep CJ but if he's going to be a starter somewhere than Jonny would great if as Sabres Fan in NS states he has given up on being number 1 somewhere.

Reason for bringing Enroth back: seeing him stand next to Lehner would be the closest approximation of the Myers-Gerbe picture we're likely to get.

Reason for not bringing him back: I fear JJ would be insufferable in the event Enroth plays better than Lehner out of the gate :lol:

We probably are one of the better shots he has at being a #1.  Its Lehner's spot to lose, but he has question marks.

We put the guy through a lot with him being here during our tear down.  I wonder if that would have him soured on a return to Buffalo.

What do you guys think about Al Montoya as a possible backup? Montoya is 6'2" which I believe is the average for an NHL goaltender. He's a UFA and might be motivated to get out from underneath Luongo (pure speculation on my part, haven't heard it reported). Lou is getting up there in age, but is under contract until 2021-22 (yeah, he'll be 43 when that expires). 

Montoya has had his ups and downs, but was very good last year in 25 games (22 starts). 12-7-3 record, 2.19 GAA, .919 SV%. If money is equal, would you rather play behind a 25yo Lehner or 37yo Luongo?

Or we can just bring back Chad Johnson, Montoya is a fine net minder, but Johnson knows the system, the players and played admirably.  Unless he's priced his way out of Buffalo I prefer him to both Enroth and Montoya.  I think Enroth will sign on early.  

Or we can just bring back Chad Johnson, Montoya is a fine net minder, but Johnson knows the system, the players and played admirably.  Unless he's priced his way out of Buffalo I prefer him to both Enroth and Montoya.  I think Enroth will sign on early.  

Oh, Johnson is definitely my preferred choice. I just think he played well enough to get a shot somewhere that he can challenge for starter duties or be a part of a 1A/1B instead of being relegated to pure backup status. I'd love to have him back if he isn't offered that opportunity from Calgary or Carolina or Arizona, etc. 

I think Chad will have an interesting choice this summer.

He is not going to get any more than a two-year offer from anyone and it won't be for huge money.

I can't see anyone signing him with the idea he is going to be their number one either.

The best he can hope for is a chance to compete for a number one spot.

His dilemma is deciding the chance of doing that elsewhere is significantly better than the chance here — and is it better enough to sacrifice the comfort zone he found himself in last year.

If Buffalo offers $5 million spread over two years, and Calgary offers $6 or $7, to compete with James Reimer, or Darcy Kuemper or Jhonas Enroth, is that really a better spot for him to be?

Edited by dudacek

He is not going to get any more than a two-year offer from anyone and it won't be for huge money.

I can't see anyone signing him with the idea he is going to be their number one either.

His dilemma is deciding the chance of doing that elsewhere is significantly better than the chance here — and is it better enough to sacrifice the comfort zone he found himself in last year.

If Buffalo offers $5 million spread over two years, and Calgary offers $6 or $7, to compete with James Reimer, or Darcy Kuemper or Jhonas Enroth, is that really a better spot for him to be?

If I'm Chad, I think I can beat that list of goalies. He quietly played good and will take the money to challenge anyone.

Though my prediction was he'll be back, I'm not optimistic. Have to believe he expects he could beat out whatever bum Calgary brings in whereas he needs Lehner to break again to win the job outright here. Figure there have to be at least 2 other teams he figures to be in the catbird seat as well. That said, hope he's back. He's in Biron / Dryden's neighborhood for quality of backup IMHO.

Chad has frequent moments of brilliance, but the goals he lets in are often of the weak variety.   His numbers might be good, but it's the types of goals he allows that take the wind out of the sails.   

Reason for bringing Enroth back: seeing him stand next to Lehner would be the closest approximation of the Myers-Gerbe picture we're likely to get.

Reason for not bringing him back: I fear JJ would be insufferable in the event Enroth plays better than Lehner out of the gate :lol:

:lol:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.