Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Could this be the answer at LHD? This source is Michael Pachla at Hockeybuzz, but the original is Friedman...

Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman in his 30 Thoughts, has the Buffalo Sabres in on Czech defenseman Michal Kempny. Friedman wrote that "Kempny has some outstanding possession numbers. Buffalo, Chicago and Vancouver are among his most serious pursuers."

Kempny, who wears No. 6 for the Czechs, is a 6'0" 194 lbs., left-handed d-man who has been playing in the Kontinental Hockey League in Russia. The 25 yr. old had 21 points (5+16) in 59 games for Omsk Avangard last season.

Keep an eye on No. 6.

Whatever's going on with this guy the longer he hasn't signed the higher our chances. From crap I've read, Vancouver really won't be a fit as he would be a ninth D man. Chicago and Buffalo have immediate ice time to offer but again some of the crap I read was two weeks ago this was imminent that he was signing in Chicago. Obviously he hasn't so I think there's some behind the scenes stuff going on.

Doesn't sound a like a savior by any means but would certainly fill a void. Anyone actually seen him play?

Whatever's going on with this guy the longer he hasn't signed the higher our chances. From crap I've read, Vancouver really won't be a fit as he would be a ninth D man. Chicago and Buffalo have immediate ice time to offer but again some of the crap I read was two weeks ago this was imminent that he was signing in Chicago. Obviously he hasn't so I think there's some behind the scenes stuff going on.

Doesn't sound a like a savior by any means but would certainly fill a void. Anyone actually seen him play?

Elliott Friedman did say on GR this AM that Buffalo is still in on him. 

Reinhart and Clayton Keller. So long Bogo and Zemgus

They aren't trading to 4 to get Keller. He'll be there at 8.

Getting to 4 makes little sense unless you think you can get to 2.  4 thru 10 are not separated by much.  If you can get to 4 and still deal to 2 do it.  Otherwise you get a great prospect at 8 and still have trade chips.  Outside of 1 or 2, none of the prospect make the jump this year.  

If I were Edmonton I would look to move up get Laine and you have your future core solidified and a ton of chips to trade with.  Plus you can purge the stench of past regimes.  I actually think they are in a better position than TO.

I disagree that it makes little sense. If Murray wants a forward, and he's not sold on a smaller Keller, there's a good chance the other 6 forwards are gone by 8. The trade to 4 would be to grab a Tkachuk or Dubois rather than drafting a D at 8.

I believe a guy like Tkackuk is worth moving up for.

Also, if there really isn't s huge gap between 4 and 8, the trade probably won't cost as much. As long as both teams are on the same wavelength.

You are going to give nhl players for a guy 2 years away. All the while depleting the cupboard for a trade for a lhd.  Tkachuk is a nice player but not that much better than than the rest in that group to warrant the premium.  I like him him but I would rather spend our chips more efficiently. .

Jonathan Willis is a reporter/writer from Edmonton, covers the Oilers. He had some interesting tweets.

Also suggested Griffin Reinhart might be part of a deal going back to the Sabres.

corresponding article to those tweets: http://oilersnation.com/2016/5/20/is-there-a-trade-fit-between-the-edmonton-oilers-and-buffalo-sabres Edited by Lanny

You are going to give nhl players for a guy 2 years away. All the while depleting the cupboard for a trade for a lhd.  Tkachuk is a nice player but not that much better than than the rest in that group to warrant the premium.  I like him him but I would rather spend our chips more efficiently. .

Tkachuk would be one year away, likely, not 2. And we don't know what we would have to give up for him. What we would be trading for a LHD is irrelevant in this trade as 1, we would need a LHD even if we did stay at 8, as a D drafted at 8 would be even further away than Tkachuk. And 2, who says we have to deplete the cupboard for a LHD. There's also free agency.

Whatever the premium is, I think Tkachuk may be worth it. But that's just my view.

We don't know if it would be "spending our chips" to move up, we don't know what the potential trade would entail.

Tkachuk would be one year away, likely, not 2. And we don't know what we would have to give up for him. What we would be trading for a LHD is irrelevant in this trade as 1, we would need a LHD even if we did stay at 8, as a D drafted at 8 would be even further away than Tkachuk. And 2, who says we have to deplete the cupboard for a LHD. There's also free agency.

Whatever the premium is, I think Tkachuk may be worth it. But that's just my view.

We don't know if it would be "spending our chips" to move up, we don't know what the potential trade would entail.

So,we go to 4 on a wink and a nod? I don't think so. I would prefer Sergachev. I think he has the upside to be better than Risto. We will have to agree to disagree.

So,we go to 4 on a wink and a nod? I don't think so. I would prefer Sergachev. I think he has the upside to be better than Risto. We will have to agree to disagree.

It's fine and dandy if you prefer Sergachev over Tkachuk. By that evaluation it makes sense why you wouldn't be thrilled with the idea of moving up. I probably just see Tkachuk as a lot more valuable than you do. That's the way the cookie crumbles!

Expect a wild offseason

LeBrun: "I think the month of June is going to be a complete gong show for the amount of news that's going to be generated" from trades.

LeBrun: "I think June again this year is going to be gangbusters. I think it's going to be really busy." Will trump trade deadline for news.

“Yeah, I think so when it comes to the quality of the players,” replied LeBrun. “In fact, I was talking to a couple of people today that said you’d be shocked at some of the names that are out there. They wouldn’t tell me who, but they’re saying that there are a lot of big names that teams are kicking the tires on.

“And that doesn’t mean they’re going to move. I would say that by the time you hear all the names that are talked about at this time of year, only about 20 percent of the move. But that’s still some pretty big names at the end of the day.

“If you think about the year Tyler Seguin got moved, or a year ago it was Ryan Kesler. You’re getting that quality again out there now…”

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/nichols-notes/nichols-notes-friedman-lebrun-forecast-wild-june-for-trade-rumors/

Edited by WildCard

If you're trading up to #4, you're likely going after someone like Tkachuk, Dubois or someone in that area.  Moving up to #4, is for Tkachuk, not Keller.  If you want Keller, he'll be there at #8.  I still prefer the D to him!

I'm not nearly as anti-Bogosian as many here but I like the general idea of 8 + Bogosian for 4 + Reinhart or one of Edmonton's other young LHD guys. It allows us to fill a need from a position of strength and gives Murray the chance of pick of the litter outside of the big 3. We'd still need a true top defender to pair with Ristolainen but our defense would be more balanced, our forward ranks would improve significantly once Tkachuk or whomever we draft at 4 makes the jump to the NHL (likely just an extra year) and we'd have some extra cap space to go after a top pairing LHD.

Edited by Drunkard

I'm not nearly as anti-Bogosian as many here but I like the general idea of 8 + Bogosian for 4 + Reinhart or one of Edmonton's other young LHD guys. It allows us to fill a need from a position of strength and gives Murray the chance of pick of the litter outside of the big 3. We'd still need a true top defender to pair with Ristolainen but our defense would be more balanced, our forward ranks would improve significantly once Tkachuk or whomever we draft at 4 makes the jump to the NHL (likely just an extra year) and we'd have some extra cap space to go after a top pairing LHD.

+1, as I said in lesser text above.  Definitely agree that as appealing as a Tkachuk-Eichel-Reinhart line is, the defensemen is still a major value and need.  It all depends on who/what you believe in. 

+1, as I said in lesser text above. Definitely agree that as appealing as a Tkachuk-Eichel-Reinhart line is, the defensemen is still a major value and need. It all depends on who/what you believe in.

Agreed. I think if we did a trade like that we pick for value at 4 and that's likely a forward. The good thing though is we also manage to swap a RHD with a big contract for a LHD who makes peanuts. Plus we still have the ammo to trade for a LHD like Fowler or whomever along with extra cap space if we need to overpay for someone in FA like Goligoski.

Yup, this is how I see it. 

Stop teasing me with all this Bogo trade talk! I can't take anymore!

That said, I want nothing, and I mean nothing, to do with Griffin Reinhart. Guy looks like a grade-A bust.

Even if we were able to unload Bogo and move up to #4? Not that I want to necessarily unload him, but I know you do. 

That said, I want nothing, and I mean nothing, to do with Griffin Reinhart. Guy looks like a grade-A bust.

Same for me kinda.

Stop pissing me off with all this Bogo trade talk. I really don't want to give up anything to get Griffin as I think he is just weak.

part of me wonders if Samson can help him figure it out. Wouldn't wanna anchor samson down tho if it doesn't work

Even if we were able to unload Bogo and move up to #4? Not that I want to necessarily unload him, but I know you do.

I'm just not super interested in moving up to #4. While it'd be nice to let Murray have his pick, I'm not sold that Dubois/Tkachuk are so clearly better than what will be available at 8 that I give up assets for the move.

Same for me kinda.

Stop pissing me off with all this Bogo trade talk. I really don't want to give up anything to get Griffin as I think he is just weak.

So we agree on outcome but differ on reason. I can't trade Bogosian fast enough :p

I'm just not super interested in moving up to #4. While it'd be nice to let Murray have his pick, I'm not sold that Dubois/Tkachuk are so clearly better than what will be available at 8 that I give up assets for the move.

So we agree on outcome but differ on reason. I can't trade Bogosian fast enough :P

We're in full agreement about not giving anything up to move up to 8. If we have to move any assets I would want to reserve them for an NHL player trade. But who knows with GMTM. He might end up calling Peg and say I'll give you our draft lol.

up from 8

I'm really perplexed by this notion that 4 isn't a major step up from 8. In my view, Tkachuk and Dubois are significantly better prospects than any forward likely to be available at 8. Keller is likely the guy available there, and even though he's getting hyped up around here lately, and he's certainly a good prospect, he's not seen on the same level as those other 2, particularly due to his small stature.

On the other hand, if Murray is targeting a D, definitely no sense moving up. I guess it depends what he's after.

If he wants a forward, whether he's interested in moving up will depend on how big he views the gap between Tkachuk/Dubois and Keller. I think I'm clearly in the small minority here in thinking the gap is substantial, just what I've taken away from the scouting info I've read.

It'll be interesting to see what Murray does and how it all plays out.

Edited by Thorny

Yeah the skating has been a major pitfall to his game.  Unfortunately.  I think I'd rather have Davidson at this point as well!

Is your disdain, for the contract, his style of play, his knack for getting nicked up easily?  All of the above?

I'm really perplexed by this notion that 4 isn't a major step up from 8. In my view, Tkachuk and Dubois are significantly better prospects than any forward likely to be available at 8. Keller is likely the guy available there, and even though he's getting hyped up around here lately, and he's certainly a good prospect, he's not seen on the same level as those other 2, particularly due to his small stature.

On the other hand, if Murray is targeting a D, definitely no sense moving up. I guess it depends what he's after.

If he wants a forward, whether he's interested in moving up will depend on how big he views the gap between Tkachuk/Dubois and Keller. I think I'm clearly in the small minority here in thinking the gap is substantial, just what I've taken away from the scouting info I've read.

It'll be interesting to see what Murray does and how it all plays out.

I agree, Keller is someone who should easily be available from 8-13.  The defense is the part of the team that needs the most work.  As they may have answered a few questions, but still have more questions than answers.  I furthermore agree that Tkachuk especially would be the reason to move up to #4, if you're targeting an offensive piece.  

Edited by TheCerebral1

If his small stature is a main reason why he's below those other guys, then I absolutely want him. That really means nothing. I'm so glad our GMs passed on Tyler Johnson, Marty St. Louis, Gaudreau, etc because of how small they are. Someone mentioned earlier he's no smaller than Pat Kane, so what is the big deal about his size, why would that be an issue when by far the best player in hockey this year was the same size?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.