Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

But not that much better.  That's my issue.  We want to proclaim anyone on any other team better than what we have.  As gmtm said all players have warts.  We will have to pay Barrie upwards of what we pay Bogo for a small incremental benefit.  I don't see the logic in this.

I think you just like Bogo more than most of us do. 

“I don’t think so. I think the Islanders probably had a bit of a unique situation where they expect to lose Kyle Okposo to free agency." -McKenzie

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/mckenzie-islanders-work-summer/

Who's tougher to play against in the playoffs between Barrie and Bogo. That's who I want I think.

I mean, Is Letang really tough to play against in the way you think of tough?

But not that much better.  That's my issue.  We want to proclaim anyone on any other team better than what we have.  As gmtm said all players have warts.  We will have to pay Barrie upwards of what we pay Bogo for a small incremental benefit.  I don't see the logic in this.

Our need for a player like Barrie is also much more than a Bogo type. You can find Bogo's, not Barrie's. 

I actually think most people around here are perfectly happy with Bogo on the 2nd pair. Unsurprisingly, I think Barrie is head and shoulders above Bogosian. 

Agreed.

Edited by WildCard

http://www.todaysslapshot.com/from-the-ice/mckenzie-islanders-work-summer/

Our need for a player like Barrie is also much more than a Bogo type. You can find Bogo's, not Barrie's. 

Agreed.

Buff gets Okposo, Isles land Stamkos.

I could live with that.......

I actually think most people around here are perfectly happy with Bogo on the 2nd pair. Unsurprisingly, I think Barrie is head and shoulders above Bogosian.

I think Barrie is shorter than Bogo...

#dadjokingitup

That said I don't think Bogo types or Barrie types are easy to find. If they were, we could just draft or sign one. I want both guys.

I think you just like Bogo more than most of us do.

Not really. I just have seen Barrie make the same head scratching bonehead moves that seem to cause the angst directed toward Bogo. We are in the Myers situation again. One team has determined that a player isn't going to reach his potential and is willing to part ways, and the other team thinks it can fix him. Barrie is very talented, but he has downside as well and Bogo has a baseline that I can live with. Trading an 8 for him plus roster players and prospects is too rich for my blood and doesn't really advance the team all that much. Jmho and I am an eye test first guy.

Not really. I just have seen Barrie make the same head scratching bonehead moves that seem to cause the angst directed toward Bogo. We are in the Myers situation again. One team has determined that a player isn't going to reach his potential and is willing to part ways, and the other team thinks it can fix him. Barrie is very talented, but he has downside as well and Bogo has a baseline that I can live with. Trading an 8 for him plus roster players and prospects is too rich for my blood and doesn't really advance the team all that much. Jmho and I am an eye test first guy.

I wouldn't trade #8 for Barrie and I don't think GMTM will either.

Yea, but he brings supercharged offensive play to compensate. Bogo brings...occasional physicality?

Actually yes, he's a snarly, nasty ,chippy tough sob to play against this playoffs. Just like you have to be in the playoffs, like Bogo would be.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/06/03/detroit-red-wings-mailbag/85349974/

According to this the Blues asked the Red Wings for Larkin in exchange for Shattenkirk. I don't think it means anything. Obviously the price will be high and they have to ask. I don't think anybody in the Blues organization actually believes they'll get a player of Larkin's caliber, though.

Nyquist and Tatar are both available in a trade. I would imagine both of those players would appeal to St. Louis in a deal for Shattenkirk. They both appeal to me, too, but I don't know if we have what Detroit will want. Not a good match with them.

Also indicates the Red Wings can't afford both Radulov and Stamkos. Will need to move Datsyuk's contract if they want Stamkos. 

Edited by Hoss

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2016/06/03/detroit-red-wings-mailbag/85349974/

According to this the Blues asked the Red Wings for Larkin in exchange for Shattenkirk. I don't think it means anything. Obviously the price will be high and they have to ask. I don't think anybody in the Blues organization actually believes they'll get a player of Larkin's caliber, though.

Nyquist and Tatar are both available in a trade. I would imagine both of those players would appeal to St. Louis in a deal for Shattenkirk. They both appeal to me, too, but I don't know if we have what Detroit will want. Not a good match with them.

Also indicates the Red Wings can't afford both Radulov and Stamkos. Will need to move Datsyuk's contract if they want Stamkos.

Wasn't Datsyuk 35 when he signed this last contract?

From TSN Insider Trading re Detroit and Stamkos 

Datsyuk

Darren Dreger claims the Detroit Red Wings are looking at Stamkos as a UFA option but they must move out Pavel Datsyuk’s $7.5 million cap hit if he plays next year in the KHL. He claims Wings GM Ken Holland is working hard to move that contract to a team that needs to reach the salary-cap floor next season, but suggests names like Tomas Jurco or Teemu Pulkkinen must be attached as a sweetener to move that contract.

He was 35 when it became active, but regardless 35+ contracts can still be traded.

Not if the CBA is followed:

50.5.d.i.B - From the day following the last day of Training Camp until and including June 30 of each League Year, "Averaged Club Salary" for each Club shall be calculated as the sum of the following amounts:

50.5.d.i.B.5 "All Player Salary and Bonuses earned in a League Year by a Player who is in the second or later year of a multi-year SPC which was signed when the Player was 35 or older (as of June 30 prior to the League Year in which the SPC is to be effective), but which player is not on the Club's Active Roster, Injured Reserve, Injured Non-roster or NonRoster, and regardless of whether, or where, the Player is playing , except to the extent the Player is playing in the minor leagues ...

It is pretty plain language that if a team signs a 35+ yo player that they are on the hook for the full cap hit regardless of where or whether he plays. Now, perhaps the league isn't following the letter of their agreement, but I'd prefer an additional source to confirm that if you don't mind.

He wasn't 35 (just when it started) when he signed it anyways but glad I know the rule better now.

My understanding of it was that he was 35 (by CBA math), but am too busy playing w/ my new smoker to verify that. Will take your word for it that he was only 34. Thanks. :beer:

My understanding of it was that he was 35 (by CBA math), but am too busy playing w/ my new smoker to verify that. Will take your word for it that he was only 34. Thanks. :beer:

He was 35 when it started but wasn't 35 when he signed the extension. He was 34 by a month and two days.

He was 35 when it started but wasn't 35 when he signed the extension. He was 34 by a month and two days.

The key is how old he was on June 30 prior to the extension taking effect. Assuming he was only 34 on that date. In which case the Wings are good.

Ribs?

Not for a 1st effort. Went quartered chicken & even though I couldn't control the temp to save my life it turned out very well. Used cherry from the yard for the wood chips. Can use maple, birch, oak, ash, & apple as well. Would have to buy anything else.

Have some venison sausage to try. Would probably go birch w/ beer in the water pan.

Either brisket or ribs (both?, yum) will be the 1st thing I run when I feel comfortable w/ the set up. THOSE were the reason for

wanting a smoker in the 1st place.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.