The Jack Eichel thread.

LGR4GM

And guys like Gionta will hopefully help Kane as much as the young(er) guys.

Yes, that's an important point. When I say that Kane or Girgs will help the new guys, I'm not saying that they themselves are finished products.

I still see a lot of potential growth on this roster. I think my point was that having young guys isn't Edmonton's problem, it's that they have too many young guys of a similar skill set. So I'm not saying that Girgs or Deslauriers are mentoring the younger guys as such, but rather providing grit on a line with a rookie to help shelter the rookies.

I like to think that a guy like Kane can learn from a Gionta, but I also see that maybe Kane and Foligno might help fill out each others' games. I'm thinking that Gionta, Gorges and Weber are pretty much settled into their games, Bogo and Ennis are just about there, but the rest of the roster will be growing and learning from each other.

Oh yeah, and hopefully if he's still with the team in October, CoHo will also be learning and hopefully together enough to provide some level of leadership to younger players.

Yes, that's an important point. When I say that Kane or Girgs will help the new guys, I'm not saying that they themselves are finished products.

I still see a lot of potential growth on this roster. I think my point was that having young guys isn't Edmonton's problem, it's that they have too many young guys of a similar skill set. So I'm not saying that Girgs or Deslauriers are mentoring the younger guys as such, but rather providing grit on a line with a rookie to help shelter the rookies.

I like to think that a guy like Kane can learn from a Gionta, but I also see that maybe Kane and Foligno might help fill out each others' games. I'm thinking that Gionta, Gorges and Weber are pretty much settled into their games, Bogo and Ennis are just about there, but the rest of the roster will be growing and learning from each other.

Oh yeah, and hopefully if he's still with the team in October, CoHo will also be learning and hopefully together enough to provide some level of leadership to younger players.

I agree and I'm glad not everyone has given up on CoHo.

Holy ###### if Eichel can knock defenders down by looking at them he's going to be an all time great.

The best part of that clip is the pose Rinne has after the release. It said to me he knew it was wide or in, but I can't do anything about it. I will resrve judgement until the Russia game. Early indications are the game is not too big for him.

Howard Simon posted this a few days back, it's a collection of the various interviews with Eichel's Coaches and other media types who have watched him. The Buccigross and Morreale Interviews are incredible

http://www.wgr550.com/pages/21436154.php?contentType=4&contentId=17284644

Those are really good listens.

Buccigross, right out of the gate:

[before last year, Jack going to the NCAA] seemed like a cool idea, but it turned out to be a great idea, as they won the Beanpot..., the regular season championship, the postseason championship, the Hobey Baker..., and almost won the National Championship, up 3-2 in the third period of the National Championship game.  It would have been an unbelievable clean sweep, but [it was] still an amazing year.

He was 17 when the year started, now he's 18.  He's already big and strong.  He'll be a 6'2" 210lb, strong, big center who passes like Adam Oates and shoots like Alex Ovechkin, and just a real committed, durable guy who's not going to get hurt, play for 15-20 years, and probably be in the Hall of Fame.  So, if you want that kind of guy, that's not a bad guy to get.

[later]

He's going to be an ultimate great, really great, or really good.  Between those three.  He could just be really good, but I'd put my money on a #1 center, high quality player.  Put him with really good players, he makes people better.

Girgesons and Delauriers are just 1 full year into the league. A lot to ask of young players to be mentors, especially when Girgesons couldn't even make the full 82 games.

I am being picky but it was Zemgus' 2nd season in the league and what is the last comment suppose to mean?  He injured his ankle blocking a shot, not like he was benched for poor play or injured by a bigger stronger more mature player.

Never wish summer away especially when it hasn't even started yet!  ;)

It's been 80 for the last month  :P

I am being picky but it was Zemgus' 2nd season in the league and what is the last comment suppose to mean?  He injured his ankle blocking a shot, not like he was benched for poor play or injured by a bigger stronger more mature player.

It's been 80 for the last month  :P

I'll use this example.

Zemgus and Delauriers are college sophomores entering their junior year. College administers are looking at how they should house their students, and who should be together. Zemgus missed the first month of his freshman year due to administrative errors and the last month or so of his sophomore year  because of illness. Delauriers is taking a total of nine credits a semester. The next Hans Bethe is starting this semester, would those two be the best room mates to help acclimate him into college life to help him achieve  his doctorate in nuclear fusion ?

So Zemgus, who probably was the best forward with the exception of Tyler Ennis, is not good enough to mentor Jack and Sam because he missed 12 games in 2013?  Even though Zemgus is easily the hardest working forward we have, probably the best 2-way forward we have, and going into his 4th pro season and 3rd NHL season.   

To answer you analogy, yes I would feel comfortable allowing my Freshman Son who is majoring in Nuclear Fusion and Astro Physics to be a roomie with a guy who thinks the meaning of the word quit is "to work harder".  I can't think of a better player to mentor Jack Eichel really.  Both were USHL players. Both played 1 "pro" season before trying to jump to the NHL, both are Centers, both skate well and are strong on the puck.  

I'm sorry but I disagree with your assessment of Zemgus and as for Desluariers, that locker room loves him.  Oh and Nick played all 82 games this past season and while he may be majoring in Leisure Studies, he always shows up for class and always works hard.

Edited by LGR4GM

I think Z and D have more questions than answers right now. I also believe that they are at best 2nd and 3rd line players on a very good team respectively.

I can see them as great friends and pushing each other as peers, but I don't see Z and D as mentors starting the 15-16 season. Not saying they will never become, I believe they have the attributes for that role in the future.

We may only be disagreeing on timing, they are all so young, barely of college graduate age and we are asking them to be mentors. I just don't think they are ready and you do.  

One thing's for sure, after watching the first three games for the US in the IIHF tourney, Zemgus won't be running Eichel the first day of camp like he did Reinhart. Z might get hurt. 

GO SABRES!!!

I don't see Z and D as mentors starting the 15-16 season.

There are different levels of mentoring. Tyler Ennis and Brian Gionta are "finished" players; their development is largely complete; their ceiling is known. They are clearly in a position to mentor younger players. But... It's been a long time since they've had to deal with the pains of breaking into the league. Des and Zemgus have just gone through that process; they know what it's like to break into today's NHL. I think there's a lot of advice and tactics they can pass on to the new players to get them over the hump, to help them understand the difference between juniors, minors and the big league. If that's not mentoring, I don't know what is.

There are different ways of mentoring. There is the perspective of senior guys to bring junior guys into the ranks, but there's also the more practical aspects of adjusting to life in the NHL that the older guys might take for granted but the younger guys who've just gone through it can share with the fresh meat.

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka