The Jack Eichel thread.

LGR4GM

Eichel gains nothing in the way f becoming a better player by staying there, so that hurts Buffalo. Also, after two seasons of this the fans are ready to watch actual hockey again, and him staying in BU will kill ticket sales, jersey sales, promotional events, etc. Short of injuries and a terrible draft/FA, Eichel staying in BU is the worst thing that could happen for the Sabres this summer.

First of all...just imagine, against all odds and a longer shot than a virgin miracle birth, that UB was a year-in year-out Division 1 Hockey power. You grew up in Buffalo and your parents were a blue collar plumber and nurse. You know you have a long career in the NHL ahead of you, and lots of money, but you just had the year of your life as a hero in your hometown, at 18...with all the back pats and tail you want. You also have the ability to get a catastrophic $10 million insurance policy next year to cover your future NHL life for $70K, and finance it so you are out of pocket 4 grand next year. You also didn't bring a championship to your hometown when you were considered the best in the sport by a mile. Sure....the NHL is there for you and will be for the next 15 years. Next year is the last time all your family, lifelong friends, and city will be there for you, as well as your chance to cement yourself as a legend.

The Sabres would actually probably LOVE Eichel to go back to BU. Everyone will have renewed their tickets by then, and Murray gets another year with a top 3 pick and built in excuse. Even if Eichel comes, these guys are picking top 8. The Sabres still have everyone's money, get another "elite" draft pick, then next year can make a big splash in free agency to make sure those Season Ticket Dollars keep pumping through the pipes. What happens when he shows up, has 3 goals in the first 20 games, and the Sabres are 5-13-2 with Murray's handpicked coach?

I'd say there is a 20% Eichel stays.

I understand the sentiment underlying the idea that Eichel might want to stay. But, as I believe Taro or maybe Physics or True Blue, has elucidated: Going back to BU almost certainly costs Eichel ~$5M (likely far more) in salary over the course of his career. Given the other factors weighing in favor of him going pro (of which there are many), I think the chances of him returning to BU are in the low single-digit range.

October whatever of this year, the PA guy will announce at the homer opener, "Aaaaaaaaannnnnnnnddddd starting at center, number 15, JACK! EICHEL!" (/crowd goes nuts)

Edited by That Aud Smell

First of all...just imagine, against all odds and a longer shot than a virgin miracle birth, that UB was a year-in year-out Division 1 Hockey power. You grew up in Buffalo and your parents were a blue collar plumber and nurse. You know you have a long career in the NHL ahead of you, and lots of money, but you just had the year of your life as a hero in your hometown, at 18...with all the back pats and tail you want. You also have the ability to get a catastrophic $10 million insurance policy next year to cover your future NHL life for $70K, and finance it so you are out of pocket 4 grand next year. You also didn't bring a championship to your hometown when you were considered the best in the sport by a mile. Sure....the NHL is there for you and will be for the next 15 years. Next year is the last time all your family, lifelong friends, and city will be there for you, as well as your chance to cement yourself as a legend.

The Sabres would actually probably LOVE Eichel to go back to BU. Everyone will have renewed their tickets by then, and Murray gets another year with a top 3 pick and built in excuse. Even if Eichel comes, these guys are picking top 8. The Sabres still have everyone's money, get another "elite" draft pick, then next year can make a big splash in free agency to make sure those Season Ticket Dollars keep pumping through the pipes. What happens when he shows up, has 3 goals in the first 20 games, and the Sabres are 5-13-2 with Murray's handpicked coach?

He was never the hero of the whole city though.  There are five D1 hockey teams all within a couple miles of each other in Boston (granted, no one cares about one of those teams).  BC dominates that market, so Eichel was actually hated by much more of that so called hometown market than those that loved him.  And then there's the region as a whole, far more teams than most can imagine.  No one player is ever going to have the whole area's respect.  That's only going to happen out west where it is far more isolated.

He wants to be more than just a local legend and that will never be accomplished at the NCAA level.  You know who is a local legend around that area?  This guy.

He was never the hero of the whole city though.  There are five D1 hockey teams all within a couple miles of each other in Boston (granted, no one cares about one of those teams).  BC dominates that market, so Eichel was actually hated by much more of that so called hometown market than those that loved him.  And then there's the region as a whole, far more teams than most can imagine.  No one player is ever going to have the whole area's respect.  That's only going to happen out west where it is far more isolated.

He wants to be more than just a local legend and that will never be accomplished at the NCAA level.  You know who is a local legend around that area?  This guy.

I assume that is a link to our favorite midget center. Right?

I understand the sentiment underlying the idea that Eichel might want to stay. But, as I believe Taro or maybe Physics or True Blue, has elucidated: Going back to BU almost certainly costs Eichel ~$5M (likely far more) in salary over the course of his career. Given the other factors weighing in favor of him going pro (of which there are many), I think the chances of him returning to BU are in the low single-digit range.

October whatever of this year, the PA guy will announce at the homer opener, "Aaaaaaaaannnnnnnnddddd starting at center, number 15, JACK! EICHEL!" (/crowd goes nuts)

More like: JAAAAAA....ACCKKKKK OOOOOIIIIIIIICHELLLLLLLLLLLL!

What are the odds the CBA is the same 8 years from now?

How will his contract be driven up if he averages 50 points his first 4 years?

I'd say waiting an extra year, forcing Buffalo's hand to get serious about winning and not "Hoping to improve while still being in the lottery", and being surrounded by an actual team in a year or 2 will actually enhance Eichel's net worth.

"Hi.....I'm Jack Eichel for the 29th place 2015-16 Buffalo Sabres. If you buy these skates, you too can score 16 goals, and lead your team to a 75 point finish."

Wouldn't you enjoy all the benefits of staying in your hometown and school, where your heart really is, force these yahoos to get you some real support, develop your body and skills another year, then come in and say....

"Hi, I'm Jack Eichel for the 20th place Buffalo Sabres. If you buy these skates, you too can score 24 goals and lead your team to a 90 point finish."

I'd say waiting an extra year, forcing Buffalo's hand to get serious about winning and not "Hoping to improve while still being in the lottery", and being surrounded by an actual team in a year or 2 will actually enhance Eichel's net worth.

"Hi.....I'm Jack Eichel for the 29th place 2015-16 Buffalo Sabres. If you buy these skates, you too can score 16 goals, and lead your team to a 75 point finish."

Wouldn't you enjoy all the benefits of staying in your hometown and school, where your heart really is, force these yahoos to get you some real support, develop your body and skills another year, then come in and say....

"Hi, I'm Jack Eichel for the 20th place Buffalo Sabres. If you buy these skates, you too can score 24 goals and lead your team to a 90 point finish."

I don't think this is the calculus he's using, but I'll play along: I think he's a better NHL player two years from now if he joins the team this year rather than going back to college. So maybe your first scenario is what we'd get out of him this year...but then the second year might be "Hi, I'm Jack Eichel for the red hot Buffalo Sabres. If you buy these skates, you too can score 35 goals and lead your team to a 100-point finish."

Edited by TrueBluePhD

You're trying too hard.

Or as Teds would say, just enough.

Or I'm Jack Eichel remember me from last year?  Uh yeah kid but your yesterday's news, that Matthews kid is the bomb.  Waiting to do something he is ready to do now is lost time he does not get back.  

We shall see.

Odds are he still goes pro.

Remember, Zadorov was considered an untouchable a year ago by many. A culture of failure tends to have consequences.

So a high risk/reward prospect struggling in his first season in the NHL when he was only there due to a wonky contract situation is now evidence of a culture of failure? Oh man, I missed you! :lol:

PS: Eichel took BU from worst to first, so I really doubt he cares.

Jack Eichel's coach.  General Manager Tim Murray.  both have indicated Jack Eichel is more than ready for the NHL jump.  But hey Buffalo fans have a culture of... DOOOM AND GLOOM.  The only culture of losing is Buffalo Sports Fans.

Man I am so excited to see Jack in Buffalo in October.  Kid is just so good.  

Jack Eichel's coach.  General Manager Tim Murray.  both have indicated Jack Eichel is more than ready for the NHL jump.  But hey Buffalo fans have a culture of... DOOOM AND ###### GLOOM.  The only culture of losing is Buffalo Sports Fans.

Man I am so excited to see Jack in Buffalo in October.  Kid is just so good.  

The issue isn't his readiness. It's how he wants to spend his year. We all should be careful about projecting our values onto the kid. He might not care about the money right now.

Jack Eichel's coach. General Manager Tim Murray. both have indicated Jack Eichel is more than ready for the NHL jump. But hey Buffalo fans have a culture of... DOOOM AND ###### GLOOM. The only culture of losing is Buffalo Sports Fans.

I think zero championships since creation is a bit of "culture of losing." But yea, it's just the fans.

I think zero championships since creation is a bit of "culture of losing." But yea, it's just hyperbole..

Since we seem to be doing the cliche thread bleed thing....

Edited by weave

Liger is fluent in English, Italian, snake tongue and hyperbole.

First, it's called parseltongue not snake tongue.

Second,  fans in Buffalo always believe the worst will and must happen. That is the culture of losing.  

So Jack Eichel is really good at hockey