The Jack Eichel thread.

LGR4GM

This assertion disgusts me. After one scrimmage, a day after they gassed these kids, you are going to question his effort?

I didn't take it as a comment on his effort.  Just a comment that he'll games like yesterday's (scrimmage) will illustrate how far the gap is between college superstar and NHL superstar.  

I don't think struggling early is necessarily a bad thing.  Sometimes good habits develop out of trying to avoid repeating earlier failures.  I think we're seeing some of that from Reinhart now (not that it was his fault he wasn't ready for the NHL at 18 but it seems like he's using that as motivation).

This assertion disgusts me. After one scrimmage, a day after they gassed these kids, you are going to question his effort?

I'm not questioning his effort.  I understand he was tired after the workout and all that, but so was Reinhart.  I wonder what the difference is, and the only thing I can think of is that Reinhart has been through this before and has a little better idea of what to expect.  This is something Eichel has to learn I think.

I don't think struggling early is necessarily a bad thing.  Sometimes good habits develop out of trying to avoid repeating earlier failures.  I think we're seeing some of that from Reinhart now (not that it was his fault he wasn't ready for the NHL at 18 but it seems like he's using that as motivation).

Yes.  This.  All of it.

I'm not questioning his effort.  I understand he was tired after the workout and all that, but so was Reinhart.  I wonder what the difference is, and the only thing I can think of is that Reinhart has been through this before and has a little better idea of what to expect.  This is something Eichel has to learn I think.

Yes.  This.  All of it.

When was Reinhart done playing last season? When was Eichel? Since then Eichel has also had to do how many interviews, hit the combine in Buffalo, the draft in Sunrise, the Finals in Chicago, IIRC the Hobey Baker Award Dinner, and prospect camp.

Eichel has had almost no downtime since his college season ended. 12 WC games + everything described above. Reinhart played, what, 4 Amerks games after Kootenay was eliminated? Reinhart's whirlwind was last year. It wasn't as crazy as Eichel's.

When was Reinhart done playing last season? When was Eichel? Since then Eichel has also had to do how many interviews, hit the combine in Buffalo, the draft in Sunrise, the Finals in Chicago, IIRC the Hobey Baker Award Dinner, and prospect camp.

Eichel has had almost no downtime since his college season ended. 12 WC games + everything described above. Reinhart played, what, 4 Amerks games after Kootenay was eliminated? Reinhart's world wind was last year. It wasn't as crazy as Eichel's.

Luke Adam FTFY

I can't believe people are going to pick on Eichel's scrimmage game? Who cares? So he struggled, who cares? Reinhart has been here and done that and so of course he was more prepared and also he's a great player too who has pride and wants to impress his team and Eichel as well.

Eichel will be just fine. The future is looking good with these two kids in the fold.

Depending on who he is matched up with, I can see him being one of the league's leaders in assists next year. I am more hopeful about him after that scrimmage than I have been up to this point.

Interesting. Why, when he was playing against his peers and has posted better performances against men?

Or just haven't seen him play much?

Interesting. Why, when he was playing against his peers and has posted better performances against men?

Or just haven't seen him play much?

I don't think he had any peers in Boston. He was that whole team.

He was ready to make a play every time he had the puck on his stick in the scrimmage, and I don't think he was really even trying. When he can feed the puck to guys that can actually catch the pass and maybe even make a play themselves, we're going to see just how good he really is.

I don't think he had any peers in Boston. He was that whole team.

He was ready to make a play every time he had the puck on his stick in the scrimmage, and I don't think he was really even trying. When he can feed the puck to guys that can actually catch the pass and maybe even make a play themselves, we're going to see just how good he really is.

He's clearly pulling a Hodgson. Murray pulled him aside and told him and only him to tank on purpose for Auston Matthews so he can get that sweet buy out of 1/3 of his ELC then sign a 1 year prove it contract with some other team.

I can't believe people are going to pick on Eichel's scrimmage game? Who cares? So he struggled, who cares? Reinhart has been here and done that and so of course he was more prepared and also he's a great player too who has pride and wants to impress his team and Eichel as well.

Eichel will be just fine. The future is looking good with these two kids in the fold.

I think the "picking on" is all tongue in cheek.  I know it is from me.

I don't think people are.

Is anyone else really encouraged by the notion that a 19 year old Reinhart can outclass an 18 year old Eichel?  The vibe on this board for a couple months has been that our franchise is basically "Eichel and others" -- especially as it comes to prospects.  How much better shape are we in if we have another center that can go toe to toe with him?  I'm thrilled that we have both of these guys.

Is anyone else really encouraged by the notion that a 19 year old Reinhart can outclass an 18 year old Eichel? The vibe on this board for a couple months has been that our franchise is basically "Eichel and others" -- especially as it comes to prospects. How much better shape are we in if we have another center that can go toe to toe with him? I'm thrilled that we have both of these guys.

Abso-freakin-lutely.

Is anyone else really encouraged by the notion that a 19 year old Reinhart can outclass an 18 year old Eichel? The vibe on this board for a couple months has been that our franchise is basically "Eichel and others" -- especially as it comes to prospects. How much better shape are we in if we have another center that can go toe to toe with him? I'm thrilled that we have both of these guys.

Yep. This is what our successful two complete tank seasons were all about. Two elite, stud centers to build around.

Is anyone else really encouraged by the notion that a 19 year old Reinhart can outclass an 18 year old Eichel?  The vibe on this board for a couple months has been that our franchise is basically "Eichel and others" -- especially as it comes to prospects.  How much better shape are we in if we have another center that can go toe to toe with him?  I'm thrilled that we have both of these guys.

I've said a few times that I'm just as excited about Samson. Finally having a 1-2-3 punch down the middle will help me sleep at night.

The prospect of finally watching a team get better with time just has me in a good mood. I'm not going to get crazy with expectations, but the pieces are finally here.

I'm a big Reinhart fan as he was the guy I wanted last year. But I do have concerns moving forward with these scouts. Hurley and some of the other second rounders don't look so hot. This team has/had nothing but time on their hands the last two years and can't afford to miss on picks moving forward. I know Murray moved a lot of young prospects but to me it's sort of a concern. I know all players picked aren't gonna make it but that's why you have such a big scouting and video department to find these players.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

I'm a big Reinhart fan as he was the guy I wanted last year. But I do have concerns moving forward with these scouts. Hurley and some of the other second rounders don't look so hot. This team has/had nothing but time on their hands the last two years and can't afford to miss on picks moving forward. I know Murray moved a lot of young prospects but to me it's sort of a concern. I know all players picked aren't gonna make it but that's why you have such a big scouting and video department to find these players.

I think you could bunk with these guys and still not know if they will go from 17 year old phenoms to grown ass men that can play at the NHL level. I think we saw enough of Bailey, Carrier and Fasching (sp?) to leave us a little comforted. You're not going to hit on them all.

I think you could bunk with these guys and still not know if they will go from 17 year old phenoms to grown ass men that can play at the NHL level. I think we saw enough of Bailey, Carrier and Fasching (sp?) to leave us a little comforted. You're not going to hit on them all.

Second rounders miss more than hit. I don't have the numbers handy, but I'd guess if you take three 2nd rounders, one "should" hit and if you have two of the three hit, you're doing well. If all three hit, go get some lottery tickets.