Sabres fire Ted Nolan

Hoss

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

His contract expired. He talks:

"You know, it doesn't need to be written, and it doesn't need to be said. For Pat LaFontaine to quit? Never. It's not in his DNA. And as much as I loved Buffalo, Patty loved Buffalo even more. … I know he didn't quit. They know he didn't quit. And they know that I know he didn't quit."

"You could take Toe Blake, Al Arbour and Scotty Bowman, and I don't think all three of them together could have done much better – or better at all," Nolan said. "It was very, very difficult. Winning is extremely hard. When you haven't got the proper people, it magnifies the problem even more.... The whole year was McDavid, McDavid, McDavid," Nolan said. "I just don't think Tim gave me a fair opportunity or got to know me. I don't think Terry and Kim got to know who I am. But when I look back on it, I'm very thankful. Buffalo is my kind of town. I loved Buffalo."

"You know, it doesn't need to be written, and it doesn't need to be said. For Pat LaFontaine to quit? Never. It's not in his DNA. And as much as I loved Buffalo, Patty loved Buffalo even more. … I know he didn't quit. They know he didn't quit. And they know that I know he didn't quit."

"You could take Toe Blake, Al Arbour and Scotty Bowman, and I don't think all three of them together could have done much better – or better at all," Nolan said. "It was very, very difficult. Winning is extremely hard. When you haven't got the proper people, it magnifies the problem even more.... The whole year was McDavid, McDavid, McDavid," Nolan said. "I just don't think Tim gave me a fair opportunity or got to know me. I don't think Terry and Kim got to know who I am. But when I look back on it, I'm very thankful. Buffalo is my kind of town. I loved Buffalo."

Good for him and I believe him.

So GMTM may have truly coup the Sabres after being hired and the Pegulas chose to just let him. Would explain TP's comments on wanting to be more hands on.

I will say though that I was all for the tank to get McDavid but this certainly sullied my opinion on GMTM as a manager

I'm getting misty re-reading this.

On the other hand, free money.

I had a close friend/old timer in my trade who would get all sorts of giddy when the job site got chaotic. Everyone else was lamenting the extra work and old Dougie would be doing a little dance and howling loudly about "freeeeeee money!"

Why is old Ted crying anyways? Fair shot? Give me a break, Ted. You could have simply said "no thanks".

I had a close friend/old timer in my trade who would get all sorts of giddy when the job site got chaotic. Everyone else was lamenting the extra work and old Dougie would be doing a little dance and howling loudly about "freeeeeee money!" Why is old Ted crying anyways? Fair shot? Give me a break, Ted. You could have simply said "no thanks".

Thing is.. LaFontaine was here. He could'a been a somebody.

Not really saying much :p

TM reminds me of the brilliant alcoholic who just can't get the job done because he is such an asshat.  The talent is there but no one wants to work with or for him because they can't trust him... kinda like certain people in politics right now who will remain nameless...

So we already knew what was happening. Cool beans. I really like Nolan as a person.

So basically Ted is just confirming what we thought.

Sounds about right.

On the other hand, all of this is a fairly damning look on Pegula. For all his recent talk on "communication", it seems as though he was the greatest perpetrator of his newfound baseline standard throughout the entire Lafontaine/Murray/Nolan fiasco. Clearly the plan all along was McDavid. That didn't sit well with Pat, the whole tanking scenario. But he hired Murray - the Tank's biggest proponent! And Nolan - the Tank's biggest detractor.

Lafontaine must not have been adequately debriefed, communicated with, on what was trying to be accomplished. That's the only way I can reason it, anyways. That's on Terry.

But mistakes made with positive intentions are more easily forgiven. Pegula wants to see the Sabres succeed. First time owner, there is going to be a learning curve. From all accounts, it's "character and communication" being stressed now. It has never been "one strike and you are out".

Thankfully, success can be borne out of mistakes. That success will be spelled E-I-C-H-E-L.

TM reminds me of the brilliant alcoholic who just can't get the job done because he is such an asshat. The talent is there but no one wants to work with or for him because they can't trust him... kinda like certain people in politics right now who will remain nameless...

There are talented people in politics?

There are talented people in politics?

Loads of them.  Well, maybe once upon a time.  Reagan and Clinton knew how to work both sides of the aisle.  As did the Speakers of the House during those times.  (Well, maybe Gingrich chastising Clinton for an affair while he was cheating on his own wife was a bit much, but you get it.)

We also used to have a thread.

Edited by Eleven

FGMTM in any other US city would be JAG, because so few US hockey city's fans know what their GMs looks like. In Buffalo he's a drunk because everyone knows what he looks like and every time he goes out  a picture gets put on the web.

How many times did he go out?

Once a week?

Once a month?

Big town anonymity has it's positives.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.