Trade Deadline 2015 (March 2nd, 3 p.m.)

Hoss

I actually heard it's either a third if they win two rounds and he plays 50% or a fourth if both conditions are not met

Both what I and Brawndo said. And what you said is also true. Fourth if Chicago blows a tire or Timmonen doesn't play. Third if he plays and they lose in the third round. Second if he plays and they win three rounds.

Both what I and Brawndo said. And what you said is also true. Fourth if Chicago blows a tire or Timmonen doesn't play. Third if he plays and they lose in the third round. Second if he plays and they win three rounds.

It's like a Russian nesting doll.

Edited by WildComrade

Big name on D, but he's only a rental and he's not exactly healthy.

Understood, but...

A little surprised philly trading their best dman while pushing for a playoff spot.

RIght. And then there's this:

Timonen may just be a name now. Hasn't played yet this year. Chicago is betting that he comes back strong... The trade was fully expected.

I'm sure every Chicago fan saw it coming.  It was fully expected.

Sekera nets a 1+, 42 year old Jagr is traded for a 2+, Timonen who is 39 and hasn't even played all year lands a 2+.  There's no way Stewart isn't worth a 1 to somebody in a competitive marketplace. There's no other rental RW that brings Stewart's size and skill. Is he inconsistent? Heck yes, but if he weren't he wouldn't be available as a rental in the first place.

I like the way you think and hope you're right.

Sekera nets a 1+, 42 year old Jagr is traded for a 2+, Timonen who is 39 and hasn't even played all year lands a 2+.  There's no way Stewart isn't worth a 1 to somebody in a competitive marketplace. There's no other rental RW that brings Stewart's size and skill. Is he inconsistent? Heck yes, but if he weren't he wouldn't be available as a rental in the first place.

In terms of prospects we could expect I think we will be pleasantly surprised if GMTM asks for a prospect back in lieu of a #1.  As we saw with Lemieux, kids in junior (unless they were top 10 picks) don't carry much more value than the pick that was used on them in the first place.  The flame-out rate is so high that this is appropriate.  If the Islanders for example decided they need another winger to replace Okposo right now they may cash out on someone like Josh Ho-Sang as part of a deal. They only have a very low #1 invested in him and his numbers are down this year. He still has more potential upside than Stewart in the long run but he's far from a lock to do anything at all in the NHL. As a low #1 (28th) you'd have to think his internal value to the club at this point would be less than say a Griffin Reinhart or a Michael Dal Colle who were top 5 picks or a Ryan Pulock who was a top 15 pick. I have no intel, I'm playing on the internet like the rest of you, but if I were Garth Snow Ho-Sang would be the kind of player that if a GM took a shine to him I'd pump his tires and get him out the door while he still has value.  Maybe in 5 years I look stupid but the odds say probably not and if the guy I get in return gets me to the playoffs that alone will save my job for awhile.

Good post.  Keep 'em coming.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.