Trade Deadline 2015 (March 2nd, 3 p.m.)

Hoss

The letter was actually back written and sent back in January. It is my belief he did receive it.

Yikes, we have some great defensive prospects, but we're a far cry from being as loaded as some teams in the West. I would not count on this team making the playoffs either. The future is very bright, but you guys are begging to be disappointed next year.

I think the three things that seem to be about to hopefully go down next, McEichel, picking up a solid player ROR? in a trade and f/a or two added to Kane, and Reinhart making the team the dynamic is very, very different. I like our chances if this is what plays out for us.

I wouldn't worry about the goaltending situation because this team has always found solid goaltending through out their history. I do worry about not finishing last and end up picking third. If we do I think their will be tons of pissed off fans for this total tank job and not getting one of the big two. To me it will make Buffalo a laughing stock to all hockey fans that they tanked and couldn't end up with either of the prizes.

Now that being said if we do land one of the big two then next year will be much more entertaining to watch and we know they will go thru growing pains but it will be worth it. This team hasn't had a bonafide superstar up front since the LaFontaine days.

You have to figure that Pysyk and McCabe will be full time next year and the defense will be led by Bogo.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

I really don't see what others don't in Stewart. He was the most productive players on this team for the last two months. He's one of the most physical. He's not a defensive liability. He sticks up for his teammates. I just don't understand it..........................

He was averaging .33 pts/gm last year. His performance really dropped. 

I think that Girgensons, Ristolainen, Foligno, Deslauriers, Weber, Nikita, Bogosian, and Mitchell are all consistently more physical than Stewart.  I also think he is a defensive liability.

The thing that gets overemphasized is deadline day itself.

Murray pretty much kicked off the trade season with the Winnepeg blockbuster.

Next he got what he could for parts of the league's worst team which will bring back a 2nd, 3rd, 5th, and 7th.

While not breathtaking, these are assets going forward and they amount to half of a draft.

My only disappointment was GMTM couldn't move Meszaros.

Why do you think it is hyperbole? It is what Buffalo does. Fans get up and arms about the pennies and lose sight of the dollars. Saw a game a couple years back when my 25 year old STH nephew posts on facebook while at the game that he hopes to never to see Matt Ellis in a Sabres uniform again. Matt Ellis. When Matt Ellis is a problem on your team then you have no real problems. The board melted down when Tim Kennedy wasn't re-signed. Tim Kennedy is a pimple on the ass of Buffalo Sabres history. It's all overreaction.

The players dealt today were insignificant in the grand scheme of things as well as any missed opportunities in returns. A second in 2017 will probably be flipped next year and you'll get your return. The cards didn't fall exactly our way this time. Big deal. The franchise is moving forward on a grander path than the year in which we get a second round pick.

All I can say is it better be, because like an ass pimple, it doesnt always feel better when it pops, sometimes the oil spreads and creates more pimples. Jury is out and this one is still painful.

This is metaphorical not hyperbole.

Edited by Fargenov Iceholeski

Mess and Balls Rochester Replacements are better players. That's probably why they are staying put. The late round pick would not be worth it

Or nobody thought they were good enough to help them on a playoff run and both while be out of the NHL next year?

Edited by Djuda Chekhov

Didn't see this posted. Sounds like GMTM was trying to work out bigger deals involving Stewart and other pieces that did not work out.

@Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun · 3h 3 hours ago

Wild had been speaking on and off to Sabres on Stewart dating back to last summer. Price was always too high for Minnesota. Until today...

@Pierre LeBrun @

Real_ESPNLeBrun · 3h 3 hours ago

Chuck Fletcher phoned Tim Murray this morning and said he might be interested if it's a smaller deal. Murray circled back very late in day

@Pierre LeBrun @Real_ESPNLeBrun · 3h 3 hours ago

It's clear Murray had larger deals involving Stewart he was looking at but they didn't pan out. Got what he could late from Wild

two promo and all the other naysayers on the Stewart trade - here's your answer as to why we got a 2017 2nd instead of one this year or next year.  He was swinging for the fences and trying to consummate a bigger deal - it didnt work out, but he still managed to extract what he was looking for from a team who didn't want to pay that much going back to last summer.

Its easy to look at a trade and think he could have done or should have done better or done it sooner or whatever, but you have no idea what was being discussed in the background.  would you swap a 2016 2nd for a 2017 2nd for the chance to do something far more significant?  that was cost of taking the chance to do a much bigger deal involving Stewart.  It didn't work out.  so what.  Maybe it will next time.  

Another thought -  too many picks all in the same year is not a good thing.  we don't have an infinite number of contracts - we cant have all our prospects developing at the same time - we have a need to space them out - contending teams need to constantly restock their roster from the farm as guys hit free agency and leave - you cant keep them all forever.

For me, the last two unknowns/doubts are: 

1) Has CoHo returned to a 50 point player?

2) Will one of the goalies jump at the chance to show themselves as a potential 'starter'

1. I believe the answer will be yes. Not sure about 50 points but probably in that vicinity.

2. I doubt it.

It's really the classic Buffalo reaction. No one cares about 4th liners, nickle backs and minor leaguers more than us. I'm certain some Buffalonian was complaining that the large shrimp platter was too small as the Titanic was sinking.

This is all reminiscent of Tim Kennedy.

We care about 4th liners because lately they've been playing on our scoring lines.

For me, the last two unknowns/doubts are: 

1) Has CoHo returned to a 50 point player?

2) Will one of the goalies jump at the chance to show themselves as a potential 'starter'

On (2), perhaps we'll find out that the Sabres team is actually good at one thing making goalies look good by allowing lots of low % shots.  Thus, no matter who steps in, he will find it easy to look good (in save %.)

two promo and all the other naysayers on the Stewart trade - here's your answer as to why we got a 2017 2nd instead of one this year or next year.  He was swinging for the fences and trying to consummate a bigger deal - it didnt work out, but he still managed to extract what he was looking for from a team who didn't want to pay that much going back to last summer.

Its easy to look at a trade and think he could have done or should have done better or done it sooner or whatever, but you have no idea what was being discussed in the background.  would you swap a 2016 2nd for a 2017 2nd for the chance to do something far more significant?  that was cost of taking the chance to do a much bigger deal involving Stewart.  It didn't work out.  so what.  Maybe it will next time.  

Another thought -  too many picks all in the same year is not a good thing.  we don't have an infinite number of contracts - we cant have all our prospects developing at the same time - we have a need to space them out - contending teams need to constantly restock their roster from the farm as guys hit free agency and leave - you cant keep them all forever.

Great post.  Glad to see you make a return

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.