Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

One star player is worth way, way more than two very good players in any sport. You cannot win in any sport without star players.

Great post. I haven't weighed in on the trade, but I love it. Bogosian is not much of a drop off from Myers...if any at all. And Kane for Stafford is a straight up win for Buffalo. The only thing I didn't like was giving up Lemieux. I would have rather seen Murray try to keep Armia and Lemieux and thrown in Grigorenko instead. All in all, I thinks it's a win for Buffalo.

Edited by Claude Balls

Very interesting piece on who Kane is:

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/story.html?id=10809240

Thanks for the link. Enjoyed the article as well as a couple of the adjacent articles. Apparently, five teams were in the bidding for Kane, including the Canucks, who didn't want to give up the asking price. Kane has some growing up to do, but I get the impression he'll work his ass off on and off the ice to get where he wants to go. I'd be far more worried if he didn't have that drive vs. his immaturity in other areas. He's got "hockey character" already. Let's hope the rest of him arrives with a little growing up as the adjacent article about Patrick Kane alludes to. 

GO SABRES!!!

Now I'm officially psyched to have Kane.  Rick Martin was my favorite player when I was a kid.

Your questions are legit.  They definitely gave up a lot. 

The attitude question and getting along with teammates question are also legit -- but I think his work ethic and playing hard are generally well respected.

Well, I suppose the risk is that Myers steps up to star defenseman status and one of the other 4 assets hits it big as well (although hard to count Stafford with the other 3) -- while Bogo stagnates and Kane goes off the deep end.

You can't say the risk of that outcome is negligible, or even very low. 

OTOH, this is also true -- i.e. if Myers-for-Bogo is more or less even, while Kane is substantially better than any of the other 4 assets coming from the Sabres -- then the Sabres will have made a good trade.  The likelihood of this outcome is probably better than 50%, IMHO.  I just don't think JJ50's concerns are unreasonable. 

Also you have to be patient with him as he is grieving over the loss of Enroth.

Very nice.

This too.

I will say precisely that: the odds that Myers blossoms and Lemiuex/Armia/1st "hit big" AND Bogosian stagnates AND Kane goes to the loony bin is an exceptionally unlikely combination of events. I'd say the overwhelmingly most likely outcome is that both Myers and Bogosian (and probably Kane) are who they are, one of the futures involved busts, one makes the NHL in a disappointing role, and one is productive but below their ceiling.

I will say precisely that: the odds that Myers blossoms and Lemiuex/Armia/1st "hit big" AND Bogosian stagnates AND Kane goes to the loony bin is an exceptionally unlikely combination of events. I'd say the overwhelmingly most likely outcome is that both Myers and Bogosian (and probably Kane) are who they are, one of the futures involved busts, one makes the NHL in a disappointing role, and one is productive but below their ceiling.

Well, your outcome is kinda dreary but certainly not unlikely.

Still, every now and then Myers did something amazing, innit?

Hopefully we'll see some of that from Bogo, too.

And I still kinda hope Myers turns into a star. He's a good kid.

Well, your outcome is kinda dreary but certainly not unlikely.

Still, every now and then Myers did something amazing, innit?

Hopefully we'll see some of that from Bogo, too.

And I still kinda hope Myers turns into a star. He's a good kid.

I really, really want to believe in Myers and he certainly does do some things that make you think there's more in there. I absolutely believe he can be a high quality 2nd pairing defenseman on a good team, but after 366 NHL games, I'd be lying if I said I held much hope for him being a stud top pairing guy. I just think he's too dependent upon having the right setup around him to be the proverbial player who drives the bus.

Quick who is better, Miller or Enroth?!

Talking about goalies, anyone found anything on jason kassdorf ? you know the 3rd piece we got back in this trade :p

Thanks for the link. Enjoyed the article as well as a couple of the adjacent articles. Apparently, five teams were in the bidding for Kane, including the Canucks, who didn't want to give up the asking price. Kane has some growing up to do, but I get the impression he'll work his ass off on and off the ice to get where he wants to go. I'd be far more worried if he didn't have that drive vs. his immaturity in other areas. He's got "hockey character" already. Let's hope the rest of him arrives with a little growing up as the adjacent article about Patrick Kane alludes to. 

GO SABRES!!!

The canucks and their shallow prospect pool couldn't afford to pay the price.

Quick who is better, Miller or Enroth?!

What is the theme music to go with the question?

Talking about goalies, anyone found anything on jason kassdorf ? you know the 3rd piece we got back in this trade :P

He's big. Like Murray likes.

The canucks and their shallow prospect pool couldn't afford to pay the price.

Yep. We could only afford to make this trade, and possibly overpay, because of the tank. That this type of move was made with multiple high end prospects being shipped out should surprise no one who has paid attention to what our brutally honest GM says.

One star player is worth way, way more than two very good players in any sport. You cannot win in any sport without star players.

Nik Kypreos, who I enjoy, believes that Buffalo got the two best players in this trade.

If Kane is a consistent top 6 player, and Bogo a consistent top 4, it is a good trade.

What I like about this is that it staggers the roster with some young veterans.

You can't hope for much success if your top 6 averages 20 years old.

qr7lQUM.jpg

:worthy:  :worthy: :worthy:  

:worthy:  :worthy:

:worthy: