Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

You need to check that cupboard. It's far from empty. 

GO SABRES!!!

I agree.  Honestly, with only 50 pro contracts available and so many picks coming in over the past few years (we'll pick up more this year when we trade out our current UFAs), we can't keep all of these draftees.  Some need to be bundled and moved.  We still have McEichel, Reinhart, Grigorenko, Compher, Fasching, Baptiste, Bailey...

I think most can agree that if Kane grows up and matures that this is a great trade, if Kane keeps up with his attitude then it was a bad trade. Can we all just agree that this is going to come down to Kane's ability to grow up?

I don't think we can agree on anything at this point, since we just don't know how all of this is going to shake out in the years to come.

Honestly. I just don't get the hand-wringing and gnashing of teeth. The team is terrible. Awful. This trade is a clear signal that GM TM is charting a course to improve sooner rather than later. While he had promised that he'd do that, this is the first action in that regard. How can this be viewed or received as anything but welcome news?

Does that all mean I know it will all work out? No. Certainly not. But it very well might, and if GM TM is the man I think he is, I like our chances.

Interesting POVs on the radio, certainly making me think about all of this, of course, combined with the opinions here.

I'm starting to think that if Kane is everything all of the pro-Kane folk say he is, then this was a pretty good deal. But, again, I'm not sold on him.

The point I really wanted to make, though, is that I so hate Mike Schopp. He's such a d*ckhead. The guy's emotional maturity is stunted and is stuck at 17 years old.

I was firmly in the not wanting to trade Myers camp, but do you want to know what I think? ... Well, I'm going to tell you anyway.

What was the one thing that the Sabres have been missing for a very long time, especially in recent years?

I think we have our Lucic.

How about offense? This team has been BEYOND boring for years and the atmosphere in the building is just ughhh, terrible. Does Myers bring that energy back? No, he doesn't. Someone like Kane paired with McDavid or Eichel will bring that energy back. Playoffs may not be back next year but excitement will be. As a season ticket holder, there is not ONE player on this team that makes me notice him. Would I rather have a NJ shut down type of D or a fast paced big hitting O? Where the hell is all this Lemieux talk coming from? Seriously, this is the kid that is pushing people over the ledge. Myers and Armia were automatics in this trade and extra assets that people did not want to give up is why Buffalo has Kane (not Montreal, Philly or the others that wanted him).

How about offense? This team has been BEYOND boring for years and the atmosphere in the building is just ughhh, terrible. Does Myers bring that energy back? No, he doesn't. Someone like Kane paired with McDavid or Eichel will bring that energy back. Playoffs may not be back next year but excitement will be. As a season ticket holder, there is not ONE player on this team that makes me notice him. Would I rather have a NJ shut down type of D or a fast paced big hitting O? Where the hell is all this Lemieux talk coming from? Seriously, this is the kid that is pushing people over the ledge. Myers and Armia were automatics in this trade and extra assets that people did not want to give up is why Buffalo has Kane (not Montreal, Philly or the others that wanted him).

Exactly. I bet every other team in the NHL wanted Kane and TM had to make an offer Winnipeg couldn't refuse.

If you guys knew anything about Kane other then what you see on a start sheet you'd be worried about this kid reporting to Buffalo. He just got traded to the worst Nhl team. A trade very well may have been what Kane needed. To me it's a roll of the dice if he actually works to win this trade for us. To me it seems like a chance this could make him care even less! Did anyone think of that? You just expect him to be a professional. This kid is one of the most skilled players in the league. I really hope he grasps the fact that he will be called upon to be a leader, not captain or anything but I expect the younger youngsters will be looking up to him. Whether he makes the most of this remains to be seen. If he reaches his potential and grows up, we will not regret this trade even if Myers finds his own. If he doesn't.... Well then it's a catastrophe

Why do the local sportscasters have so little information about Sabres trade rumors? The national writers kept saying Myers was in play and the local guys kept saying it wasn't so. :huh:

local writers only really get info from the sabres. National writers get info from almost every team.

because they are not real reporters

that too

If you guys knew anything about Kane other then what you see on a start sheet you'd be worried about this kid reporting to Buffalo. He just got traded to the worst Nhl team. A trade very well may have been what Kane needed. To me it's a roll of the dice if he actually works to win this trade for us. To me it seems like a chance this could make him care even less! Did anyone think of that? You just expect him to be a professional. This kid is one of the most skilled players in the league. I really hope he grasps the fact that he will be called upon to be a leader, not captain or anything but I expect the younger youngsters will be looking up to him. Whether he makes the most of this remains to be seen. If he reaches his potential and grows up, we will not regret this trade even if Myers finds his own. If he doesn't.... Well then it's a catastrophe

You pretty much covered the range of scenarios..I'm sure Murray has a clue to what he's getting

I was firmly in the not wanting to trade Myers camp, but do you want to know what I think? ... Well, I'm going to tell you anyway.

What was the one thing that the Sabres have been missing for a very long time, especially in recent years?

I think we have our Lucic.

Not sure if we're all the way to Lucic, but the Sabres definitely got physically stronger and harder-hitting at both LW and D. 

It is nothing short of an OUTRAGE that the Jets have already announced Myers' and Stafford's numbers, but the Sabres have not done the same for our new guys.

New #NHLJets Jersey numbers: Myers will wear number 57, and Stafford will wear number 12.

Oh, and this. (Coller is doing good work today.)

P2-sX2nq_normal.jpeg

Man, this is a stat I missed. In all situations (EV, PP, SH), Patrick Kane has 1.14 goals per 60 minutes ice time, Evander has 1.11 per 60

Very strong freshman year and was injured last year. This year RPI is an awful team, so it's tough to judge him on that. The description I have is that he's a good goalie on a bad team, but probably not an NHLer.

RPI?  My alma mater.  Cool.  (I'm from the Adam Oates era.)

I'm worried that is true.. He was loved his first year in win and then .. .. Same with bogosian . I don't like coin flips .. I have no problem other than he paid a player and a pick too much.. As I hear the buy it now theory..

By itself Buffalo is better than the 'Peg. Add in that Toronto is just up the road and NYC is an hour's flight away and Kane will feel like he went to heaven compared to the frozen prairie. 

Now that this is settling in, I think the Sabres gave up one too many assets.

Either Lemieux, Armia or the first should have been held back.

Given the cautious nature of Chevy, Murray may have needed to overpay to make the deal.

Time will tell if he took advantage of Murray being overbold.

But I am happy to see progress and will forgive an overpayment if Kane can put up 30-plus a year here.

And, it's a go for setting expectations higher than reasonable. Apparently the radio folks were talking about 40 goals today.  (not picking on you, dudacek, just trying to head this off at the pass)

I'll put this in bold. And caps: PATRICK Kane didn't score 30 last year. We should be hoping that he'll be top-10 in goals for LW (#9 last year scored 30 exactly), but if he doesn't net 30 he's not a bust. K? #28-30 at LW scored 19 goals each. 40 goals puts him ahead of everyone not named Ovechkin. Let's not go crazy when he puts up 25 on a mediocre team.

It is nothing short of an OUTRAGE that the Jets have already announced Myers' and Stafford's numbers, but the Sabres have not done the same for our new guys.

New #NHLJets Jersey numbers: Myers will wear number 57, and Stafford will wear number 12.

Stafford gets 12.....disrepectful to Morris Lukowich. 

Myers....well nobody wears 57, so all is good.