Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

I don't doubt it, but is there evidence that enough of the player base comes from poor families to sustain the league if more well off families opt out of football? Seems a little stereotypical, the poor black kid coming out of the projects to make it big in the pros...

Yes, it is stereotypical.  I don't know that there is actual data.  Well...... I expect that the league has data, but I wouldn't think they  release it.

Ha!

Fair deuce.

Still. Soccer seems more readily accessible for poor/working poor black kids. Not many towns in America have a Hasek Heroes program.

Soccer is a sport the everyone can play. However, it can be far more expensive than you think. Average costs per year for one child is $671. And that's for a basic league. Quality of coaching/level of play isn't as high. For leagues w/ higher quality coaching, level of play, etc...., it can range from $1,500 to $5,000. That's excluding the time and commitment needed from the parents and kids. Many have to travel x amount hours for tournaments on their schedule. Counting traveling expenses increases the the costs. Again, all of this is for one child. All in all, soccer isn't as cheap as many may believe. 

Soccer is a sport the everyone can play. However, it can be far more expensive than you think. Average costs per year for one child is $671. And that's for a basic league. Quality of coaching/level of play isn't as high. For leagues w/ higher quality coaching, level of play, etc...., it can range from $1,500 to $5,000. That's excluding the time and commitment needed from the parents and kids. Many have to travel x amount hours for tournaments on their schedule. Counting traveling expenses increases the the costs. Again, all of this is for one child. All in all, soccer isn't as cheap as many may believe.

Believe me. I know.

But the barrier to entry for soccer is far less than with hockey. And if a kid gets identified as being special in a basic league, then hopefully s/he's on his way. There are ways those kids can get supported and subsidized, too.

Believe me. I know.

But the barrier to entry for soccer is far less than with hockey. And if a kid gets identified as being special in a basic league, then hopefully s/he's on his way. There are ways those kids can get supported and subsidized, too.

:thumbsup: I agree w/ that. Kids need to be a part of something. I don't care what sport it is, but they need to be involved. Eventually they'll find one they like. What's unfortunate is more and more kids are not involved in any type of sport or physical activity. Being in a sport has many positives. Provides exercise, teaches sportsmanship, importance of a strong work ethic, improves social skills, etc.... This is very important for a child's development. 

:thumbsup: I agree w/ that. Kids need to be a part of something. I don't care what sport it is, but they need to be involved. Eventually they'll find one they like. What's unfortunate is more and more kids are not involved in any type of sport or physical activity. Being in a sport has many positives. Provides exercise, teaches sportsmanship, importance of a strong work ethic, improves social skills, etc.... This is very important for a child's development. 

Amen. I try to stay focused on that with my kids in sports. It's great if they win games, take a league title, or whatever. But for 99% of kids who play sports, it's all of the other stuff that will stay with them and be more important as they go on in life.

The neuropathologist who first discovered chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) in NFL players said he believes that O.J. Simpson is suffering from the degenerative brain disease.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25465461/doctor-who-discovered-cte-in-nfl-players-thinks-oj-simpson-has-it

Listening to the local sportscaster on the news constantly refer to one of the Pro Bowl teams as "Team Irving", she said it at least five times. Remind me again how you got this job.

She also read off the name Jerry Rice in a very confused "who the hell is that" tone.

Edited by shrader

Dallas, hands down. Someone on TBD considered he does this stupid ###### on purpose to get cut from the Browns.

In that case, sign me up! Who doesn't want a QB with middling talent who slaps around his girlfriend in order to become unemployed? ;)

Honestly, I hope nobody signs him. Just tired of hearing so much about a guy who isn't any good.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.