Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

@FOX29philly Sources say officers suffered fractured skull. Broken ribs. Broken nose. Everyone ejected from restaurant. Video tape.#foc29

Hmm, let's see,… 2 am, no arrests,… somethin' tells me the two officers started somethin' they couldn't finish.

This was my very first thought, too.

My INITIAL thoughts were:

1. Why is "off-duty" relevant to this story at all? Unless they're trying to insinuate they were targeted because of it.

2. The use of the word assault is confusing as they switch to "physical altercation" mid-way through. The sources are clearly within the force.

3. The mention of his friend being involved doesn't come until halfway through and is hidden below and ad for everybody.

But the tweet above makes it sound much worse.

One report is that McCoy was upset that the off duty officers were served their champagne before McCoy.

http://www.tmz.com/2016/02/08/lesean-mccoy-attacks-off-duty-cops-in-philly/

A separate report says Brinkley grabbed one of the champagne bottles which started the altercation. This sounds like somebody picked a fight they couldn't win... But the excessive injuries tell me they took it too far.

Dave Schratwieser ‏@DSchratwieser 5m5 minutes ago

@FOX29philly No video of brawl. Video of ejection only. Detectives investigating as aggravated assault. No police called to scene.#fox29

Dave Schratwieser ‏@DSchratwieser 8m8 minutes ago

@FOX29philly Police not called to brawl scene. Police report filed later by off duty officers. No charges filed. Under investigation.#fox29

This is where the competition to get the story first just irks the crap out of me. Would it kill anyone to simply do something like "McCoy and friend under investigation for their role in an altercation in a bar" and wait for some semblance of a total picture to emerge before continuing to report? I hate this piecemeal information drip.

http://www.csnphilly.com/football-philadelphia-eagles/lesean-mccoy-curtis-brinkley-altercation-duty-police

This provides way more details. Apparently the cops moved with their alcohol and one of the friends took issue with it and tried to take a bottle. McCoy and co came over to help at which point an officer was knocked down and beaten/stomped. One officer took himself to the hospital and the other one was treated for a possible skull fracture.

This is where the competition to get the story first just irks the crap out of me. Would it kill anyone to simply do something like "McCoy and friend under investigation for their role in an altercation in a bar" and wait for some semblance of a total picture to emerge before continuing to report? I hate this piecemeal information drip.

The initial report is a joke. It wreaks of sucking up to police sources.

So I'm still not getting why it's a problem that the officer moved his bottle to a different table. Why would the players care? Drunkenness? 

But I totally understand standing up for one of your friends in an altercation with (probably) a big group of guys. It sounds like they had no idea those guys were officers. I've stood up for my friends before and later learned it was blatantly my friend's fault. 

Hero worship.

I generally agree. But you know it matters. First because it makes a great story, second because cops hate losing and will go after you if you get one up on them. Third because the media sold their souls to the devil. 

I don't understand how the men being off-duty LEOs is relevant. If they had been a couple of accountants their day jobs don't get mentioned.

Exactly. I loved we've response here.

Philly.com reporting police are seeking arrest warrants in this case.

Edited by Hoss

In fact, it's pretty much guaranteed McCoy will get charged now. It's out in the media and it makes the Philly PD looks like a bunch of girls. And Philly PD can't afford a soft reputation in a rough city like that. Especially to get beat up by a famous inner-city role model like McCoy. It's bad enough already with the "Don't Shoot" stuff. 

Gotta make sure we immediately shift the blame to the black football players. As if the other parties being LEO's gives them benefit of the doubt. No way some off-duty cops could ever be giant a**holes. 

It has nothing to do with race, professional athletes often have serious entitlement issues and believe they are above everyone, including the law. There's just as many cases of white athletes as black athletes acting like and it being reported. Not a damn thing to do if they were black or not.  

It has nothing to do with race, professional athletes often have serious entitlement issues and believe they are above everyone, including the law. There's just as many cases of white athletes as black athletes acting like ###### and it being reported. Not a damn thing to do if they were black or not.

There's absolutely a difference in the way cases are reported when considering the race of the athlete, though.

It has nothing to do with race, professional athletes often have serious entitlement issues and believe they are above everyone, including the law. There's just as many cases of white athletes as black athletes acting like ###### and it being reported. Not a damn thing to do if they were black or not.  

Funny, LEOs have the same problem. 

There's absolutely a difference in the way cases are reported when considering the race of the athlete, though.

I feel like there's so much self-policing about that kind of stuff now I don't see the difference. I mean they don't even mention the race of the perp half the time on the local news nowadays, even though it's blatantly obvious that it's important. 

I agree that people's perceptions are different. 

It's fun to take the narrative the media puts stories like this into, and flip it. 

Let's take ESPN's headline: 

LeSean McCoy involved in altercation with 3 off-duty officers

Now flip it: 

3 off-duty officers involved in altercation with Lesean McCoy

The assumptions being made by the writers suddenly become very apparent based on something as simple the ordering of actors in a headline. 

It's fun to take the narrative the media puts stories like this into, and flip it. 

Now flip it: 

The assumptions being made by the writers suddenly become very apparent based on something as simple the ordering of actors in a headline. 

"LeSean McCoy romantically involved with 3 off-duty officers" would make a better story.

I don't understand how the men being off-duty LEOs is relevant. If they had been a couple of accountants their day jobs don't get mentioned.

Unless they're sliding down a rail at RWS, in which case the employer must be named by The Buffalo News to ensure that the guy loses his job.

Now flip it: 

Well, one party is in the hospital, and one is not.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.