Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

We're on the same page--that's precisely what I was getting at. Your point re: Manning this time is well taken.

Edit: As for Carolina, I'm still not sure how they're doing anything on offense with that roster. That defense is legit, but Cam isn't human.

He's made a statement this year. Gotta be the best player in the NFL right now, I'd say. What he brings on offense is incredibly dynamic. Seems like a nightmare to game plan against.

I am just hoping we get a good Super Bowl this year. Always disappointing when it's a stinker. Even though their offense isn't firing on all cylinders like they were heading into the Seattle game a couple years ago, we saw what happened that year. Perhaps heading in as decided underdogs, backed by an all-world defense will serve them better this year.

Just please don't be a blowout.

He's made a statement this year. Gotta be the best player in the NFL right now, I'd say. What he brings on offense is incredibly dynamic. Seems like a nightmare to game plan against.

Cam has to be the argument for drafting tools at QB and hoping the guy has the smarts and work ethic to put it all together.

Carson Palmer playing like EJ in this game. Yeesh.

Edited by TrueBlueGED

Sure, but of course, small sample size there. 10-12 in the rest of his playoff games.

Not trying to rip on Manning, I like him. And think he's one of the greatest of all time, even with only 1 Super Bowl. A 2nd would bolster his resume greatly, though.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/14609971/peyton-manning-playoff-career-worthy-more-respect-nfl

Cam has to be the argument for drafting tools at QB and hoping the guy has the smarts and work ethic to put it all together.

Carson Palmer playing like EJ in this game. Yeesh.

Cam has to be the argument for giving a QB a couple of years to develop instead of throwing him out with the trash if he doesn't take you to a Super Bowl in his rookie year.

Of course that's exaggerating, but I think many teams lack the patience nowadays to give a guy a chance to turn into a winner.

Cam has to be the argument for giving a QB a couple of years to develop instead of throwing him out with the trash if he doesn't take you to a Super Bowl in his rookie year.

Of course that's exaggerating, but I think many teams lack the patience nowadays to give a guy a chance to turn into a winner.

Cam Newton threw for 4,000 yards his rookie year...

The measure of a rookie QB isn't the mistakes they make, but how many times they do things to give you hope and what they do right. A bunch of mistakes are fine, and expected. But if there's a lot of mistakes and little to no real apparent upside, well, that's when teams aren't patient. Peyton, Cam, Luck and so on weren't bad as rookies at all, they just had a lot of picks. And yes, there's a difference.

He also threw 17 INT's and went 6-10.

Still light years beyond EJ. Light years.

Exactly, these guys were given the time to learn and mature. I think Peyton was much worse than that his rookie season.

They were given time because their talent and abilities were obvious. Not because they were question marks and their teams were unsure of whether they would ever be capable NFL QBs.

Cam also threw back-to-back 400 yard games in his first two games, including breaking the record for most passing yards in a game by a rookie, and broke the NFL record for rushing TDs and passing yards by a rookie.  Let's be real, here.

Edited by JujuFish

QB's are not given the chance to show they are capable of carrying a team for years like they used to. This is a 'win now' league. It is undeniable.

Sure. I agree with you 100%. Teams don't have enough patience for coaches, GMs or QBs. It's still not a defense for EJ Manuel, though. He was just bad and always was. Atrocious.

Edited by Hoss

Who was making a defense for EJ? 

I wanted to give him 40 games in the NFL--not necessarily as a starter.  I think that's a fair amount of time to evaluate a quarterback.  He got them.  He doesn't have it.

Taylor, on the other hand, woke up this morning to learn that he's a pro bowler.

I agree with many points you guys are making. I know this is a Bills thread, but my post was about football in general since the Bills are done and playoffs are in full swing. Sorry for the confusion. 

And in regards to Cam's rookie stats, yes they were great but he was not a winning QB and there was a lot of criticism around his decision making early on. It took him a while to mature and also knowing when to run. With a losing record after 4 seasons, most teams would have given up on a QB regardless of stats. I'm giving Carolina credit for letting him mature. 

Who was making a defense for EJ?

My bad for assuming that was the point of you posting that in this thread.

I agree with many points you guys are making. I know this is a Bills thread, but my post was about football in general since the Bills are done and playoffs are in full swing. Sorry for the confusion.

And in regards to Cam's rookie stats, yes they were great but he was not a winning QB and there was a lot of criticism around his decision making early on. It took him a while to mature and also knowing when to run. With a losing record after 4 seasons, most teams would have given up on a QB regardless of stats. I'm giving Carolina credit for letting him mature.

I don't think anybody was giving up on Cam at any point.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.