Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

I just don't get all the negativity. It is like no one watches anyone else play anymore when in fact I think they see more. This is the NFL, some games, especially Thursday games resemble that and while you can list all the ifs, ands and buts that could have changed the outcome, Buffalo won. They won a divisional game. They ran a great closing drive against an elite defense. They found a way to win which is what we used to say when the Bills super bowl teams played games like that, and they did play games like that.

This team is 4 and 2 when their starting quarterback plays and 4 and 1 when he has his starting RB and starting #1 WR. They are tied for first in rushing offense and eight in scoring offense.

No doubt the team is flawed. Their defense is struggling to learn a new system while probably not having the right guys playing the system they are playing. Under Whaley they have gone 6-10, 9-7, 5-4 and seemingly heading in the right direction. To me, and strictly my opinion of course, they deserve more respect for what they have accomplished and in a relatively short time not constantly questioned because of things that happened before this regime arrived.

I completely agree. Except for them being 4-2 with their starting QB...they're 5-2 with him :p

I didn't start watching until the 2nd half, so I will defer. But, I'll note that Fitz misses deep balls badly in a dome.

Not unfair.

That said, Watkins is not, in my view, one of the big catch radius guys from his draft class (like Evans, and to a less extent ODB). His skill set and selling points lie elsewhere.

Wasn't one thing we constantly heard about with Watkins was his ability to high point the ball increased his catch radius beyond what his measurables would indicate?

I just don't get all the negativity. It is like no one watches anyone else play anymore when in fact I think they see more. This is the NFL, some games, especially Thursday games resemble that and while you can list all the ifs, ands and buts that could have changed the outcome, Buffalo won. They won a divisional game. They ran a great closing drive against an elite defense. They found a way to win which is what we used to say when the Bills super bowl teams played games like that, and they did play games like that.

This team is 4 and 2 when their starting quarterback plays and 4 and 1 when he has his starting RB and starting #1 WR. They are tied for first in rushing offense and eight in scoring offense.

No doubt the team is flawed. Their defense is struggling to learn a new system while probably not having the right guys playing the system they are playing. Under Whaley they have gone 6-10, 9-7, 5-4 and seemingly heading in the right direction. To me, and strictly my opinion of course, they deserve more respect for what they have accomplished and in a relatively short time not constantly questioned because of things that happened before this regime arrived.

I agree with all of this.  But Monday Morning QBing is what we all do.   I still they think have no clue how to execute the screen pass.  Otherwise, I could not be more pleased today

I do agree the negativity is surprising. I was happy with last night's game. Let it slip late, but they held on. That performance probably doesn't beat most teams, but it was a win.

It's understandable to break down some deficiencies you saw individually. That's not being negative, it's being observant.

Good post.  Huge win on the road against a very good divisional opponent in a "must win" game with the Patriots looming.  And, folks are trying to criticize our 5-2 QB who rarely turns the ball over for missing a bomb in the wind and rain.  Every QB in the NFL misses some passes, especially long balls.  What Tyrod didn't do (unlike Fitz) is turn the ball over.  That is huge and he doesn't get nearly enough credit for that from the "Monday Morning QBs."

Great win.  This team is now well positioned for a stretch playoff run!

Wasn't one thing we constantly heard about with Watkins was his ability to high point the ball increased his catch radius beyond what his measurables would indicate?

Hmm. I'm not sure. Maybe.

It would have taken a ridunculous catch to make that play happen, imo. I don't really fault him for not delivering. 

Good post.  Huge win on the road against a very good divisional opponent in a "must win" game

More than fair. The Jets are -- in the immortal words of angry Bart Scott -- a GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM.

They really are. I thought they were well coached. (I esp. respected the no-hesitation on going for it on 4th when both the odds and their track record called for that decision.) That defense is pretty frickin' nasty. They can run the ball some, too. Good crew of receivers - Marshall is a true WR1 with a few years left on the tread. They are a top 12 QB away from making a deep run.

Everybody keeps saying this only because Phil Simms said it. And it's not true. Tyrod missed.

https://twitter.com/Cianaf/status/665183193197387776

Sammy slightly mistimed the jump but it wasn't going to be a catch anyways. He threw it behind Sammy which allowed Revis to catchup and get in position for the breakup.

Perhaps some of us were capable of coming to this conclusion on our own.  I saw it live, right in front of where my seats were, and thought immediately that Watkins mis-played it.

I said it in real time watching the game before Simms said it, and that still looks to me like if he took one more step before jumping he catches that ball.

Indeed.

On the Watkins missed TD: Tyrod missed the throw, absolutely. But it was still catchable for a long gain and Sammy didn't adjust to it in the air. We should expect (does not mean approve, but expect) Tyrod to miss throws. The whole point of having an elite WR is to make catches out of QB mistakes. The ball was catchable, and I don't think it's unreasonable to want Sammy to come down with it.

This too. 

That said, Watkins is not, in my view, one of the big catch radius guys from his draft class (like Evans, and to a less extent ODB). His skill set and selling points lie elsewhere.

I'll disagree with ya on this.  For example, I didn't think Sammy was going to be able to get to the long bomb into the end zone vs Miami, but he got there.  It was a terrific play, and one that made me think that although I still think the trade was a dumb move, Watkins, when he plays, is a great player and a real difference-maker.

I just don't get all the negativity.

The source of the negativity is very simple.  You don't sit through the past 15 years without doubting this team.  It's perfectly understandable to question them at this point.

Steve-Grogan.jpg

Is it sizzle that usually does the good photoshops?  We need one of a buffalo snapping a football.

We are the #1 rushing team in the NFL at 142.3 yards per game and have a +5 turnover ratio (tied for 5th).  We can win games that way if our defense shows up.

:thumbsup:

The turnover thing surprises me.  It feels like up until last night we really haven't been forcing many turnovers.  I remember that exact thought coming to mind right before that Graham TD in the Jacksonville game.

Hmm. I'm not sure. Maybe.

It would have taken a ridunculous catch to make that play happen, imo. I don't really fault him for not delivering. 

More than fair. The Jets are -- in the immortal words of angry Bart Scott -- a GOOD FOOTBALL TEAM.

They really are. I thought they were well coached. (I esp. respected the no-hesitation on going for it on 4th when both the odds and their track record called for that decision.) That defense is pretty frickin' nasty. They can run the ball some, too. Good crew of receivers - Marshall is a true WR1 with a few years left on the tread. They are a top 12 QB away from making a deep run.

I actually came away less impressed with Bowles.  If he's more aggressive and playing the score earlier, the Jets could have won that game.  I had a post written out explaining this, but it was lost  :doh:

I was more concerned about the two passes that hit Sammy in the hands and fell to the turf than the misplay in midair.

This.  He is more clutch than SJ, but he does have SJ's knack for not catching the easy ones entirely too often.

The source of the negativity is very simple.  You don't sit through the past 15 years without doubting this team.  It's perfectly understandable to question them at this point.

Is it sizzle that usually does the good photoshops?  We need one of a buffalo snapping a football.

The turnover thing surprises me.  It feels like up until last night we really haven't been forcing many turnovers.  I remember that exact thought coming to mind right before that Graham TD in the Jacksonville game.

Take that stinker in London out of the equation, and our turnover ratio was #3 to that point IIRC.  

Last night's game was exactly what I expected.  4 day turnaround for this team, on the road in a typically hostile environment, against a division rival.  We pulled the game out.  That's all I could've asked for, and I am happy for it.  

We have 11 days to prepare for NE.  I don't expect to win, but I expect a much closer game than the first one.  

Take that stinker in London out of the equation, and our turnover ratio was #3 to that point IIRC.  

Last night's game was exactly what I expected.  4 day turnaround for this team, on the road in a typically hostile environment, against a division rival.  We pulled the game out.  That's all I could've asked for, and I am happy for it.  

We have 11 days to prepare for NE.  I don't expect to win, but I expect a much closer game than the first one.  

... what if we did win?

... what if we did win?

It would be awesome!  But, as I've said already, we need to throw some caution to the wind and go for it.  The same "let's be conservative so Brady doesn't beat us" plan will result in another 460 yard passing game for Brady.

That Jets game also started a 5 out of 6 road game run for us.  How we manage these 6 games determines our season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.