Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

I disagree with blitzing Brady a lot--he's too good at identifying them pre snap. Mix them in, sure, but the book on him has long been to get pressure up the middle with a 4-man rush while disrupting him timing with WRs by playing press.

I saw way too many times last night where we, again, had LB's covering wide outs. No zone, just man coverage. The Patriots will eat you alive if you do that, like they did the first time when we did in fact, do that

Anyone know why EJ was an inactive for yesterday's game?

I know, I know it's hindsight, but the Jets opted for two 4th down plays deep in Buffalo territory instead of kicking chip shot field goals and lost by 5.

Schmidt was clearly poised to be goat of the game last night.  He owes the entire Defense a dinner and while at it, he should take out to dinner the Jets head coach too.

I would say it's at least 75% likely that EJ is a pawn in the power struggle currently underway at OBD between Rex and Whaley.

And even then, that didn't look like a playoff team last night.

Right on.  It was a poorly played, pretty boring game between 2 mediocre teams.  The ultimate outcome for these 2 teams seems pretty predictable:  one will miss the playoffs, the other will make it and get dusted in the first round by a good team.

My other game notes:

- That stadium is a monstrosity.  If that is what the Bills are looking at down the road, and if it will involve me paying $10K or so per seat in PSL fees -- I'm gone.

- Anyone still with the Bills' organization that was involved in deciding to give Fitz $45MM or whatever it was should be fired immediately.

- The Bills could easily have lost that game.  Just slightly better execution by the Jets would've gotten them the win.

- The Bills continue to make, on a frequent basis, the kind of mistakes that good, well-coached teams don't make.  They wasted several timeouts last night on simple failures to get to the line and call the play with sufficient urgency.

- 11:  I didn't see replays of the calls that were vexing you, but if Swamp isn't blaming the refs, I don't see how anyone else could.

- There were a ton of Bills fans there last night, and the upper deck (which is a freaking mile away from the field) was probably 1/3 empty -- so, combined with the Jets looking lousy most of the night, gave rise to a pretty weak atmosphere for an NFL game.

I saw way too many times last night where we, again, had LB's covering wide outs. No zone, just man coverage. The Patriots will eat you alive if you do that, like they did the first time when we did in fact, do that

I'm pretty sure I saw Bradham lined up on the sideline at one point last night.  I don't know what type of shifting led to that, but that freaked me out.

Edited by shrader

I disagree with blitzing Brady a lot--he's too good at identifying them pre snap. Mix them in, sure, but the book on him has long been to get pressure up the middle with a 4-man rush while disrupting him timing with WRs by playing press.

Umm, have you seen our pressure up the middle this year?  Me neither.  And I'm officially done with expecting Marcell "big money" Dareus to supply it.  If we're going to get pressure up the middle it's going to have to come via the blitz.  

And again, we have nothing to lose and everything to gain here.  Go for broke since Brady's likely going to torch us no matter what we do, especially if we play our "normal" defense ala week 2.

Edited by EastsideOasis

Let's just hope the Patriots come out of their game with the Giants with a few more players dinged up.. 

I don't think I can watch another game where Julian Edelman, Julian, are you kidding me, Edelman runs wild in the Bills secondary.

Let's just hope the Patriots come out of their game with the Giants with a few more players dinged up.. 

Brady is all that matters.  I'm going to continue with my pretty damn safe assumption that unless Brady gets injured this week or early in the game next Monday, then there really isn't much of anything the Bills can do that will result in a win in NE.

Some thoughts:

- Tyrod missed some easy ones last night. A few good plays, but I'm still hesitant to anoint him. Missed a TD to Sammy on the first play where he beat Revis.

- The red grew on me but I want to see it with white pants.

- Defense looked strong but it was a weak offense so that helps.

- Shady has made the trade worth it. The contract? We'll see, but he's been much better. Glad he appears to be mostly healthy.

- This team has Rex's back. I think that's pretty much standard for NFL players, but it's nice to be assured of it.

- Sammy is a great receiver but his targets will be inconsistent until we have a QB that can consistently throw the ball. Right now Tyrod is still going to need to be in a run-heavy offense.

- Ronald Darby might be the best player on this team. Easily a Pro Bowler right now. If he continues this he's a lock for DROY. And Gilmore is no slouch. Best CB tandem in the league.

Some thoughts:

- Tyrod missed some easy ones last night. A few good plays, but I'm still hesitant to anoint him. Missed a TD to Sammy on the first play where he beat Revis.

True it shoulda/coulda been a TD and that's on TT, but it was there for a long completion at minimum if Sammy hadn't mis-timed the jump.

True it shoulda/coulda been a TD and that's on TT, but it was there for a long completion at minimum if Sammy hadn't mis-timed the jump.

Everybody keeps saying this only because Phil Simms said it. And it's not true. Tyrod missed.

https://twitter.com/Cianaf/status/665183193197387776

Sammy slightly mistimed the jump but it wasn't going to be a catch anyways. He threw it behind Sammy which allowed Revis to catchup and get in position for the breakup.

- Ronald Darby might be the best player on this team. Easily a Pro Bowler right now. If he continues this he's a lock for DROY. And Gilmore is no slouch. Best CB tandem in the league.

I think these things are especially true. What was Darby's line? Targeted five times, yielding one completion for -2 yards.

People talk about running Whaley out of there. But that guy has drafted some terrific talent. Darby is an out of the park home run.

(Let's just hope that he, along with everyone else on the team, stays out of trouble during this mini-vacation they have now.)

And as for the Watkins miss, I guessI can see why people say Watkins missed the jump, but it really was on the QB there. Watkins' momentum is taking him across the field at full speed. That is where Taylor is supposed to lead him. The laws of physics were weighing against him heavily as he tried to adjust to an inaccurate throw.

Everybody keeps saying this only because Phil Simms said it. And it's not true. Tyrod missed.

Sammy slightly mistimed the jump but it wasn't going to be a catch anyways. He threw it behind Sammy which allowed Revis to catchup and get in position for the breakup.

I said it in real time watching the game before Simms said it, and that still looks to me like if he took one more step before jumping he catches that ball.

I'll throw my thoughts in as well..

I came home just in time to see the Bills pick up the fumble and run it in for the TD and subsequent missed extra point. 

1.  I wish the Bills would take more deep shots down field.    

2.  This has to be the worst screen team in the league.

3.  Surprised they did not target Clay down the middle.

4.  A four yard catch for a first down was the most important play of the game.

5.  I'm in a small minority that believes that kicking field goals was the right thing to do.   

6.  McCoy showed me he was a true gamer last night.  That was one stiff defense he was running through.

7.  The red did not grow on me and I hope I never see it again.

8.  I was surprised that a Thursday night game in NYC did not draw a sell out crowd.  There are 12M people competing for 80K seats.  How does that game not have most seats full on gameday?

9.  Fitz looked like a credible quarterback last night, for the 3rd period.

10.  How does Wilkerson run down T-Mobile?  How?

11.  Great win, on the road, when it was desperately needed

Great minds? This especially. Taylor missed, and threw Watkins back into coverage.

Eh it was windy. He's made that throw tons of times so far this season

I don't think the wind picked up until the second half.

Btw, the Raiders and Amari Cooper pulled the same play on Revis to start the game, same exact result

#knowledge

(as in, the raiders also missed?)

Wasn't that their normal shade?  I think they just looked bad because red and green clash.  That was just.... too much clash.

They seemed much lighter to me, but it could have entirely have been the contrast with the red.

The color the Jets wore last night was "Kelly green"; that used to be their color back in the past, but recently they've been using a darker shade (the exact name I do not know.) I thought the Bills' uniforms were too red.  One of the two teams should have been wearing white jerseys.  The red and green together were just too much.  (Note to the NFL - check some of the major colleges' uniforms. There are some sharp combinations out there.)

Edited by Sabre Dance

On the Watkins missed TD: Tyrod missed the throw, absolutely. But it was still catchable for a long gain and Sammy didn't adjust to it in the air. We should expect (does not mean approve, but expect) Tyrod to miss throws. The whole point of having an elite WR is to make catches out of QB mistakes. The ball was catchable, and I don't think it's unreasonable to want Sammy to come down with it.

Smell- I think it was windy to start, Fitz missed some early deep balls that his receivers just loaded because of the wind

I didn't start watching until the 2nd half, so I will defer. But, I'll note that Fitz misses deep balls badly in a dome. 

On the Watkins missed TD: Tyrod missed the throw, absolutely. But it was still catchable for a long gain and Sammy didn't adjust to it in the air. We should expect (does not mean approve, but expect) Tyrod to miss throws. The whole point of having an elite WR is to make catches out of QB mistakes. The ball was catchable, and I don't think it's unreasonable to want Sammy to come down with it.

Not unfair.

That said, Watkins is not, in my view, one of the big catch radius guys from his draft class (like Evans, and to a less extent ODB). His skill set and selling points lie elsewhere.

I just don't get all the negativity. It is like no one watches anyone else play anymore when in fact I think they see more. This is the NFL, some games, especially Thursday games resemble that and while you can list all the ifs, ands and buts that could have changed the outcome, Buffalo won. They won a divisional game. They ran a great closing drive against an elite defense. They found a way to win which is what we used to say when the Bills super bowl teams played games like that, and they did play games like that.

This team is 4 and 2 when their starting quarterback plays and 4 and 1 when he has his starting RB and starting #1 WR. They are tied for first in rushing offense and eight in scoring offense.

No doubt the team is flawed. Their defense is struggling to learn a new system while probably not having the right guys playing the system they are playing. Under Whaley they have gone 6-10, 9-7, 5-4 and seemingly heading in the right direction. To me, and strictly my opinion of course, they deserve more respect for what they have accomplished and in a relatively short time not constantly questioned because of things that happened before this regime arrived.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.