Buffalo Bills 2015

Taro T

Must be poor audio quality then. Let's hope it gets rockin' again this Sunday.

But a few others have brought this up and I'd like to echo it: Sunday against the Colts felt like domination, it felt like winning should. At no point in the 2nd half was I worried we were going to give the lead away. It was really strange honestly, it felt like, as Watkins said, we were supposed to win because we were that good. I only felt like that a few times last season against crap teams, but against a SB favorite in the Colts? Never. It'd be something totally different to feel in control of a game against the Patriots rather than just praying Brady doesn't make another 2 minute come back.

I really don't think this is true, even if a bunch of talking heads picked them.

Remember years back when we smoked them to open the season? That meant nothing. This game, if won, means the exact same thing whether it's a huge win or a squeaker. As such, we should be perfectly happy to beat them regardless of what it looks like.

I agree with your sentiment over d4rk's.  I really want the Bills to lay the hurt on the Pats, but if they merely beat them in a squeaker then I'll take it.  How badly we beat them means nothing about the Bills long term prospects this season.

Yes.  I don't care how much better or different the team looks on paper, any Bills fan talking playoffs in September should be met with a chorus of a thousand Jim Mora's.

I hate hate hate this attitude that many Bills fans have.  So because our team has been a joke for so long our fans aren't allowed to get excited and make stupid predictions?  By your logic, a Bills fan should talk playoffs in September because that's the only time of year he can.  THESE BILLS ARE DIFFERENT.  I'm not saying that they're going to take us to the playoffs this year, but they're different.  Different ownership, different coaching staff, different QB.  Yes, there are some holdovers from the dark days in the higher-up management spots, but so what?

Loyal Bills fans have been beat down by their team for a decade and a half.  The AFC is pretty bad overall right now and the Bills have a talented roster.  If Bills fans are getting pumped about the possibility of playoffs, that's great.  Every sports fan should be able to be excited about their team.  Are Patriots fans inherently better than us because their team allows them to get excited about the playoffs every year?  Hell no!  So piss on your defeatist attitude.  LETS HAVE FUN

I've never really understood the fan concept of "I don't want to get my hopes up". What's the point of being a fan if you don't want to get your hopes up? What are you so afraid of if you get excited for the Bills to win and they lose? You'll be in a bad mood for a few hours? Who cares? It's sports. It happens. So that's worth being a skeptical grouch all year?

Another thing, do people really expect the Bills to never make the playoffs ever again? To never be good ever again? I'm hearing a lot of people bring up 2003 and the other years we started off 4-0 and missed the playoffs as excuses for why they won't buy in this year until the very end. Look at it this way, if we're going to make the playoffs one year, then most likely we're going to start that year off well. Eventually we're going to make the playoffs. And if we do, we're probably going to do well before we clinch. So this idea of "look at 2003", seems like a fallacy to me.

I just don't get this whole "lets wait and see" mentality. I don't think it's as wise as some people think it is.

Loyal Bills fans have been beat down by their ###### team for a decade and a half.  The AFC is pretty bad overall right now and the Bills have a talented roster.  If Bills fans are getting pumped about the possibility of playoffs, that's great.  Every sports fan should be able to be excited about their team.  Are Patriots fans inherently better than us because their team allows them to get excited about the playoffs every year?  Hell no!  So piss on your defeatist attitude.  LETS HAVE FUN

Everything moves in cycles, and we're due big time. The team is set up for 4-5 years of success at least, more if Tyrod or EJ become franchise QBs. 

Remember years back when we smoked them to open the season? That meant nothing. This game, if won, means the exact same thing whether it's a huge win or a squeaker. As such, we should be perfectly happy to beat them regardless of what it looks like.

I disagree. Trouncing the Pats way back when was a farce. We all knew it was, right? None of those Bills teams were any good. 

I want this game to have the feeling of realness. I think this Bills team is actually good. I think our coaching staff is actually good. And I think if we absolutely ruin the Patriots on Sunday it will mean more than it ever has in my lifetime. 

I disagree. Trouncing the Pats way back when was a farce. We all knew it was, right? None of those Bills teams were any good. 

I want this game to have the feeling of realness. I think this Bills team is actually good. I think our coaching staff is actually good. And I think if we absolutely ruin the Patriots on Sunday it will mean more than it ever has in my lifetime. 

It would mean EVERYTHING if we blow out the Patriots. Pats fans still point to 31-0 as their last great blowout loss. The NFL would take serious notice, our team's confidence would be sky high, everybody would buy in. It's the best thing that could happen short of making the playoffs. 

Must be poor audio quality then. Let's hope it gets rockin' again this Sunday.

But a few others have brought this up and I'd like to echo it: Sunday against the Colts felt like domination, it felt like winning should. At no point in the 2nd half was I worried we were going to give the lead away. It was really strange honestly, it felt like, as Watkins said, we were supposed to win because we were that good. I only felt like that a few times last season against crap teams, but against a SB favorite in the Colts? Never. It'd be something totally different to feel in control of a game against the Patriots rather than just praying Brady doesn't make another 2 minute come back.

On the sound quality: I think most videos of the stadium fail to capture what the noise level is like inside.

On the feeling of game 1: I agree. It was ... vaguely familiar to someone who well remembers the Marv era Bills. And so pleasant.

I've never really understood the fan concept of "I don't want to get my hopes up". What's the point of being a fan if you don't want to get your hopes up? What are you so afraid of if you get excited for the Bills to win and they lose? You'll be in a bad mood for a few hours? Who cares? It's sports. It happens. So that's worth being a skeptical grouch all year?

This is a good stuff.

I will admit: I carefully manage the extent to which I buy into the team's chances because, for me, I become an unbearable, non-functional jerk if I go ALL IN and we lose. My wife tearfully begged me to throttle back when I went f'ing bonkers that time we lost to ... who? Cinci? I got a house full of kids, man -- I just can't afford it.

This is a good stuff.

I will admit: I carefully manage the extent to which I buy into the team's chances because, for me, I become an unbearable, non-functional jerk if I go ALL IN and we lose. My wife tearfully begged me to throttle back when I went f'ing bonkers that time we lost to ... who? Cinci? I got a house full of kids, man -- I just can't afford it.

Thanks for this.  I wasn't considering the shell-shocked super-passionate fan angle.

On the sound quality: I think most videos of the stadium fail to capture what the noise level is like inside.

On the feeling of game 1: I agree. It was ... vaguely familiar to someone who well remembers the Marv era Bills. And so pleasant.

This is a good stuff.

That Cincinnati game, was that the one where the refs killed us. The game where my wife, who knows nothing of sports asked "why are the referees purposely making the bills lose?" yeah I remember that one. I calmly put the remote down, stood from the couch, walked out the front door and proceeded to walk aimlessly for the next 45 minutes until I wasnt a time bomb of rage anymore and then I returned home.

It's unreasonable that in the past 13 years we've beat Brady once and I want better? Sure whatever.

The fact we've only beaten them once in that span is precisely why it's unreasonable to get all wrankled up over the manner of victory. Just win baby!

Absolutely not. There was huge hype and excitement after that win, and going into the season more generally.

I really don't think this is true, even if a bunch of talking heads picked them.

I agree with your sentiment over d4rk's.  I really want the Bills to lay the hurt on the Pats, but if they merely beat them in a squeaker then I'll take it.  How badly we beat them means nothing about the Bills long term prospects this season.

I hate hate hate this attitude that many Bills fans have.  So because our team has been a joke for so long our fans aren't allowed to get excited and make stupid predictions?  By your logic, a Bills fan should talk playoffs in September because that's the only time of year he can.  THESE BILLS ARE DIFFERENT.  I'm not saying that they're going to take us to the playoffs this year, but they're different.  Different ownership, different coaching staff, different QB.  Yes, there are some holdovers from the dark days in the higher-up management spots, but so what?

Loyal Bills fans have been beat down by their ###### team for a decade and a half.  The AFC is pretty bad overall right now and the Bills have a talented roster.  If Bills fans are getting pumped about the possibility of playoffs, that's great.  Every sports fan should be able to be excited about their team.  Are Patriots fans inherently better than us because their team allows them to get excited about the playoffs every year?  Hell no!  So piss on your defeatist attitude.  LETS HAVE FUN

A new season. Hope springs eternal.  I get all that but until it's different in terms of the playoffs, it's not different. 

And I made no statement that could lead anyone to conclude that other fans are inherently better than Bills fans.  I fully believe that when the tide eventually turns on the Pats* most of their fans will return to largely ignoring them or reverting back to Giants fans.

The fact we've only beaten them once in that span is precisely why it's unreasonable to get all wrankled up over the manner of victory. Just win baby!

Absolutely not. There was huge hype and excitement after that win, and going into the season more generally.

Yep.  Cover of SI.  Also cover of SI when we beat them in 2011 IIRC.

Another thing, do people really expect the Bills to never make the playoffs ever again? To never be good ever again? I'm hearing a lot of people bring up 2003 and the other years we started off 4-0 and missed the playoffs as excuses for why they won't buy in this year until the very end. Look at it this way, if we're going to make the playoffs one year, then most likely we're going to start that year off well. Eventually we're going to make the playoffs. And if we do, we're probably going to do well before we clinch. So this idea of "look at 2003", seems like a fallacy to me.

I just don't get this whole "lets wait and see" mentality. I don't think it's as wise as some people think it is.

In response to the bolded line, yes, that is exactly what I expect.

As for the rest, take a look at the two possibilities setup in this thread by certain people.  The Bills either blowout the Patriots or they (the posters) are upset.  These are the two forms of delusion that this team has created over recent years.  We've all lost our minds.

The only people "hyped" after that win were the drunks who were still clinging to memories of Jim Kelly. Come on. Did you really think that team was any good? Surely people who don't really remember the Super Bowl era didn't think so. There was no reason to. 

The only people "hyped" after that win were the drunks who were still clinging to memories of Jim Kelly. Come on. Did you really think that team was any good? Surely people who don't really remember the Super Bowl era didn't think so. There was no reason to. 

I was neither drunk nor clinging to memories of Jim Kelly.  It was a 31-0 win to start the season, Bledsoe was still supposed to be good, and there were lots of reasons to be optimistic.

They also thrashed the Chiefs the following week if I remember correctly (just looked it up, it was Jacksonville).  The national media was all over them at that point, with what looked to be a very potent offense.

I have been as skeptical of this team as anyone, but I will say that there is one indisputable difference between this year's team and those of the past dozen or so years:  they are now trying to win as an organization, instead of simply punching the clock and trying to salt away $30MM or so per year in profit.

I also think Rex is exactly the kind of forceful, dynamic presence the franchise needed to chase away the stink of chronic losing.

They could easily get exposed on Sunday -- especially if TT falters -- but FWIW I don't have the same kind of fatalistic certainty about it that I've had in years past.

Go Bills.

I was neither drunk nor clinging to memories of Jim Kelly.  It was a 31-0 win to start the season, Bledsoe was still supposed to be good, and there were lots of reasons to be optimistic.

"Lots of reasons" being what? The Concept of Travis Henry? Eric Moulds being the only legit receiving threat? Leading scorer Rian Lindell? 

That team didn't have sh*t.  

"Lots of reasons" being what? The Concept of Travis Henry? Eric Moulds being the only legit receiving threat? Leading scorer Rian Lindell? 

That team didn't have sh*t.  

They had a D line. And everything you are saying didn't come to light until about the 7th or 8th week of the season. There was plenty to be hopeful for that day.

Yes, we know that now.  We didn't then.

Sure we did. The Bills hadn't tried to assemble a real offense since they drafted Moulds in '96. Before that the only good receiver they'd drafted was Don Beebe in 1989. Travis Henry was the first "good" running back we'd drafted in over a decade. We fired Wade Phillips who was actually a good coach. They went 8-8 in 2002, 3-13 in 2001, 8-8 in 2000 after riding friggin Doug Flutie to the playoffs in 1999. Who the heck still had faith in the Bills front office in 2003? 

Sure we did. The Bills hadn't tried to assemble a real offense since they drafted Moulds in '96. Before that the only good receiver they'd drafted was Don Beebe in 1989. Travis Henry was the first "good" running back we'd drafted in over a decade. We fired Wade Phillips who was actually a good coach. They went 8-8 in 2002, 3-13 in 2001, 8-8 in 2000 after riding friggin Doug Flutie to the playoffs in 1999. Who the heck still had faith in the Bills front office in 2003? 

The team had just improved from 3-13 to 8-8...5 games is a monumental jump in the NFL. The team was 11th in offense and 5th in defense that 8-8 season. We added Lawyer Milloy, then a Pro Bowl caliber safety. And lo and behold, we demolished the Patriots then similarly smacked the Jags. There was very real optimism at the time. Sure, the wheels ended up falling off, but that doesn't change that you are 100% incorrect in how you're remembering the sentiment surrounding that team.

I thought about Blue, it really comes down to me being ashamed of being a Bills fan for so long that I want that statement win against the team that has dominated us for 14 years.  I want Brady and his cheating Patriots to slapped down with such force they never forget that time they came to Ralph Wilson Stadium.

I know it won't happen but when they build the new stadium, they should name it Ralph Wilson Stadium.  That man did so much for football, I think he has earned it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.